Vancouver 2010 Games to unveil logo

officeglenn

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the one.

I find it a little underwhelming. I mean, sure, the meaning and the symbolism behind it is strong, but design-wise, it's pretty simple. It doesn't scream Vanvouver at me either; it would maybe be more a propos if the games were being held in Iqaluit.

I don't quite get why it's smiling either. That's probably the part that bugs me the most.

I kinda like it. While the Inukshuk is not native to Vancouver, it is a uniquely Canadian symbol without resorting to the maple leaf, which I saw many of the other designs in that clip on how the logo decision process came about showed. I say kudos to the Vancouver 2010. :flagcanada:

My only gripe is they used all lower case letters

I saw, I came, I left.

While the Inukshuk is not native to Vancouver, it is a uniquely Canadian symbol without resorting to the maple leaf.

But that's kinda like NYC getting the 2012 Olympics and using cowboy boots because it's a uniquely American symbol.

While the Inukshuk is not native to Vancouver, it is a uniquely Canadian symbol without resorting to the maple leaf.

But that's kinda like NYC getting the 2012 Olympics and using cowboy boots because it's a uniquely American symbol.

Well, you can find cowboy boots in Alberta. Ever heard of the Calgary Stampede? However, adding cowboy boots is sure better than this:

2004_04_logospoof-thumb.jpg

I should point out there is an Inuksuk in Vancouver http://juliekinnear.com/about_inukshuk.html

Perhaps, they should have put something more native to Vancouver and the Pacific northwest, but then again, a logo like that would have been used for a possible Seattle Olympic games or something.

Overall, this is not as good as the bid logo, but it's good enough for me

I saw, I came, I left.

Well, you can find cowboy boots in Alberta. Ever heard of the Calgary Stampede?

... damn touchy canadians!

:P

HUH? Even with that theme they should have done better...

I too, am underwhelmed...

And they had a decent bid logo...

Although I don't mind the lowercase letters in this case...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Well, you can find cowboy boots in Alberta. Ever heard of the Calgary Stampede? However, adding cowboy boots is sure better than this:

2004_04_logospoof-thumb.jpg

I should point out there is an Inuksuk in Vancouver http://juliekinnear.com/about_inukshuk.html

Perhaps, they should have put something more native to Vancouver and the Pacific northwest, but then again, a logo like that would have been used for a possible Seattle Olympic games or something.

Overall, this is not as good as the bid logo, but it's good enough for me

LOL that is great. Pretty accurate too considering the scum that is New York City.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

From the Canadian Press story on TSN.ca (italics added by me):

The emblem, a contemporary interpretation of a traditional inukshuk called Ilanaaq (el la nawk), was designed by Vancouver graphic designers Elena Rivera MacGregor and Gonzalo Alatorre.

At first glance it looks like a hockey goaltender and surprisingly doesn't contain a Maple Leaf, snow or a mountain.

"There were only so many things that could represent the entire country," said Rivera MacGregor. "We researched it and we concluded the inukshuk was in fact one character that could pretty much tell the whole story.

"The value of the style and components of it, the colours, that's what took it over the top."

John Furlong, chief executive officer for the Vancouver 2010 Organizing Committee said the logo leaves an unmistakable impression.

"This is an emblem when you see it once you never forget it," said Furlong, after the logo was revealed to a small audience at GM Place in a glitzy one-hour television special broadcast live on CTV. "That's remarkable and important."

Most of the people leaving the ceremony seemed pleased with the logo. Scott Cumming, who wore a Team Canada hockey sweater, admitted to some early confusion.

"When we first saw it, it was 'what the heck is that,"' said Cumming, of Richmond, B.C. "It was like a bunch of Leggo blocks stacked up.

"But when they explained it to us it was really cool. It has its arms wide open to accept the rest of the world."

I think that pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

I don't like it that much.

The Inukshuk would be a great logo if the games were being held in Whitehorse or Yellowknife, but Vancouver? Put a totem pole in there, something like what stealthfrog put together.

Sure it's a Canadian symbol, but that would be like putting a grain elevator or the Bluenose in the logo.

...and yeah, there's an Inukshuk in Stanley Park, but there's also tigers in the zoo... it doesn't make it representative of the location.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived