Pittsburgh Steelers helmet logo

Slater

If memory serves me correctly, according to an article I read online, the Steelers in 1962 decided to put the "Steel" logo on only the right side of their helmets, while the left one stayed blank. At the time the Steelers' helmets were yellow with a black stripe. They wanted the fans to decide whether or not to have the logo on the helmets, hopefully to decide whether to have logos on both sides of the helmets or have plain helmets. The fans decided to compromise and go with the logo on the right side of the helmet only. In 1963, the Steelers went to black helmets with yellow stripes, updated the Steel logo and put "Steelers" on it, and to this day, with the exception of going to black facemasks, the Steelers logo on one side of the helmet has continued to this day.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

yeah, i would add this ' DO NEVER CHANGE THE LOGO " ever.  I mean when you think of the Steelers, you think of the Logo.

Actually I think of those ridiculous yellow towels before I think of the legacy of their generic logo.

6uXNWAo.png

yeah, i would add this ' DO NEVER CHANGE THE LOGO " ever.  I mean when you think of the Steelers, you think of the Logo.

Actually I think of those ridiculous yellow towels before I think of the legacy of their generic logo.

Ridiculous? :blink:

Go easy on The Terrible Towel, my friend... it's part of the mystique and history of the Steelers! ^_^

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

the steel need a serious over haul period which includes:

1. a new logo with the steelers colors not colors thats not in there color scheme.

2. completely new jersey template

3. logo on both sides of the helmet. its the same issue i have with the browns. lets move in to the 21st century. slap a logo on that sucker.

i don't care about the sanctity of a logo, if a team has had the same style for 30 to 40 years then it needs to be changed.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Seriously, what is with using blue and red in the logo, but nowhere else?? Nobody else, anywhere, does that. The stripes on their sleves don't even come close to matching the ones on their pants and helmet, and that annoys the hell outta me. Also, the new digits they threw on their shirts a few years ago, quite simply, do not belong on a jersey that was designed sometime during the Kennedy administration.

Overall grade: F

6uXNWAo.png

Seriously, what is with using blue and red in the logo, but nowhere else??  Nobody else, anywhere, does that.

History Of The Steelers Logo

In the 1960s, U.S. Steel turned over the Steelmark program to the AISI, where it came to represent the steel industry as a whole. During the 1970s, the logo's meaning was extended to include the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal, orange for ore and blue for steel scrap. In the late 1980s, when the AISI founded the Steel Recycling Institute (SRI), the logo took on a new life reminiscent of its 1950s meaning. 

The Steelers had to petition the AISI in order to change the word "Steel" inside the Steelmark to "Steelers" before the logo was complete.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Seriously, what is with using blue and red in the logo, but nowhere else??  Nobody else, anywhere, does that.

History Of The Steelers Logo

In the 1960s, U.S. Steel turned over the Steelmark program to the AISI, where it came to represent the steel industry as a whole. During the 1970s, the logo's meaning was extended to include the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal, orange for ore and blue for steel scrap. In the late 1980s, when the AISI founded the Steel Recycling Institute (SRI), the logo took on a new life reminiscent of its 1950s meaning. 

The Steelers had to petition the AISI in order to change the word "Steel" inside the Steelmark to "Steelers" before the logo was complete.

Ummm, okay... That still doesn't help becasue I still don't know why they don't incorporate blue and red into their uniforms.

6uXNWAo.png

"The Steelers are the only NFL team that sports their logo on only one side of the helmet. At first, this was a temporary measure because the Steelers weren't sure they would like the look of the logo on an all-gold helmet. They wanted to test them before going all-out.

Equipment manager Jack Hart was instructed to put the logo only on one side of the helmet - the right side. The 1962 Steelers finished 9-5 and became the winningest team in franchise history to date. The team finished second in the Eastern Conference and qualified for the Playoff Bowl. They wanted to do something special for their first postseason game, so they changed the color of their helmets from gold to black, which helped to highlight the new logo.

Because of the interest generated by having the logo on only one side of their helmets and because of their team's new success, the Steelers decided to leave it that way permanently. "

The above is from the Steelers History homepage. The fans had nothing to do with the logo. As per the Terrible Towel, that was start by Miron Cope, a Steelers broadcaster. Take a good look at your favorite team, the towel has been mimicked by almost every team in the league with a winning record. Now per the colors, they represent the materials used to make steel. I don't remember what each color represents exactly but that is the reason for the diamonds.

The New York Yankees use colors on their logo - blue and red - that are nowhere to be found on their uniforms. And every single objective evaluation lists them at the top of the uniform design pyramid.

The only thing wrong with the Steelers' uniforms are the weak-looking italic numbers. Okay for basketball, okay for baseball, bad for football.

The Steelers uniforms are classic and distinguished.

Red and blue in the logo are not needed to be placed anywhere else in the uniform design. It would ruin the look of the uniforms.

The worst move the Steelers ever made was going to italic and "soft" numbering on their jerseys. You would never see the Packers doing something like that to their jerseys.

The Steelers have a look that is instantly recognizable, regardless of whether you like the fact they don?t use red and blue or not. They have a history and tradition of black and gold, and in the current uniform climate where teams change every 2-3 years it is nice to see a franchise stick to who they are.

I don't think there are many people from Pittsburgh who would want the Steelers make any changes

Heck no! Nobody around here wants to change. That's why you see the world's record for Stone washed jean jackets, Cameros from the 80's, and mullets. :mad: If it was up to me, I'd put the logo on both sides and outline it in yellow instead of gray and remove the logo from the breast.

KISSwall09.jpg

That's just silly though. Adjusting the helmet to look like all the other teams in the NFL is unoriginal. Now I live near Pittsburgh and I work there 5 days a week, I don' see all the Camaro's, Blue Jean Jackets, and mullets you see. Must only be in your neck of the woods.

That's just silly though. Adjusting the helmet to look like all the other teams in the NFL is unoriginal. Now I live near Pittsburgh and I work there 5 days a week, I don' see all the Camaro's, Blue Jean Jackets, and mullets you see. Must only be in your neck of the woods.

Go to a concert, sporting event, and/or Wal-Mart on the outskirts and you'll see them. Problem is, most people don't notice them because there are so many. The PennDOT workers are almost always a guarantee for a mullet/beard combo.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived