Shea Stadium

pcgd

Kinda a stupid topic, but its kinda been on my mind the last two games. Been watching the Cardinals/Mets series here in St. Louis on Fox Sports Central, and the stadium's sound system sounds terrible. Crackling, all trebble. Is it really that bad, or does fox have a mic next to a speaker or something?

Also, the announcer has like no emotion. Kinda sounds like Will Farrell with the Voice emogulation disease. The music selection is terrible too.

I never notice these things at any other stadium so maybe its just the mic placement. But is it as bad as it sounds there? Maybe its because the stadium is so open. I dunno.

When I am crowned Emperor of Baseball the very first thing I will do is outlaw the playing of all music in baseball stadiums. There is nothing more annoying then hearing a 20 second snippet of a song played while a batter walks to the plate or a relief pitcher comes in from the bullpen or for no Og damn reason at all.

I can remember going to Orioles games at Memorial Stadium when the only music that was ever heard was the organ sound and that was played maybe 5 times a game. Oh, and I can't forget "Wild" Bill Hagey's O-R-I-O-L-E-S chants/singalongs.

The constant blaring of music at baseball games is nauseating.

As for Shea Stadium, stadium speakers got blown out when The Beatles played there back in 1965 and the Mets management has been too cheap to fix it.

Oh, just noticed the discrepancy between the thread title and content of your post.

If they are playing in St. Louis, then they are playing in Busch Stadium, not Shea Stadium..

And as for why the speaker system in Busch stadium may sound so crappy, it's because it's the last season for the cardinals at Busch stadium, so Cardinal mangement is too cheap to throw a bunch of money at something that will become utterly useless in less then 6 months.

As for Shea Stadium, stadium speakers got blown out when The Beatles played there back in 1965 and the Mets management has been too cheap to fix it.

I don't know what Mets Management would have anything to do with that. The City of New York owns Shea Stadium (as well as Yankee), and I believe they have always owned Shea as it was a mulit-purpose stadium.

That said, Shea Stadium is a dump.

I've never personally been to shea, but I've flown over it in a passenger jet and have seen a bunch of pictures.

And it is a dump.

Come to think of it, if you asked me what the most historic thing to ever occur at Shea was, I would first say "The Beatles", then I'd say "That one game where O.J. Simpson ran for so many yards against the Jets."

O yeah, there was also the Miracle Mets, but we Orioles fans don't talk about that much.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Shea is the only MLB park I've been to. It sucked hard.

They should fill the place with cat litter so it can offically be the world's largest crap box.

You just reminded me of something... didn't Waffles make some image of the 40th anniversary of Shea with a toilet imposed on it? ^_^

btw, if you scan back on the satellite image of shea, you can see how close the stadium is to the airport :blink:

While we're on the topic of images here's one of my hometown :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mississauga,...30642&t=k&hl=en

I saw, I came, I left.

Kinda a stupid topic, but its kinda been on my mind the last two games. Been watching the Cardinals/Mets series here in St. Louis on Fox Sports Central, and the stadium's sound system sounds terrible. Crackling, all trebble. Is it really that bad, or does fox have a mic next to a speaker or something?

Also, the announcer has like no emotion. Kinda sounds like Will Farrell with the Voice emogulation disease. The music selection is terrible too.

I never notice these things at any other stadium so maybe its just the mic placement. But is it as bad as it sounds there? Maybe its because the stadium is so open. I dunno.

It sucks. You sit in nosebleed and and it's like being at another place - not the game itself.

The Vet in Philly was worse, though.

I love Busch Stadium the most, though Coors is probably 1B for me. I hate the Yankees, but love the Stadium crowd.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Kinda a stupid topic, but its kinda been on my mind the last two games.  Been watching the Cardinals/Mets series here in St. Louis on Fox Sports Central, and the stadium's sound system sounds terrible.  Crackling, all trebble.  Is it really that bad, or does fox have a mic next to a speaker or something?

Also, the announcer has like no emotion.  Kinda sounds like Will Farrell with the Voice emogulation disease.  The music selection is terrible too. 

I never notice these things at any other stadium so maybe its just the mic placement.  But is it as bad as it sounds there?  Maybe its because the stadium is so open.  I dunno.

It sucks. You sit in nosebleed and and it's like being at another place - not the game itself.

The Vet in Philly was worse, though.

I love Busch Stadium the most, though Coors is probably 1B for me. I hate the Yankees, but love the Stadium crowd.

The Vet had personality. Shea has New Yorkers. Nuff said.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Dunno what was worse about the Vet....the concrete they called a playing surface or the fact that the city had to put a mini court and lockup in the basement. Went there a few times, and all I can say is that it looked it's best when I went to a Phils game at CBP last year after they imploded the place....saw the rubble and remarked to a friend that it was a definite improvement.

Shea's a hole, but I've seen a lot worse *cough*TheBigOwe*cough*...also, the place isn't falling apart...yet

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Wasn't there talk of the Mets moving to a new stadium that would essentially be a replica Ebbets with a retractable roof?

Yea, Giuliani started pushing for the new Yankees Stadium and the new Mets Stadium right before he left office, but I believe Bloomburg shot that down.

I'm not completely up to date with that, so if anyone else knows more, then go right ahead and say it.

It's only appropriate that a stadium in Flushing Meadows looks like a toilet.

And that would reminds me of a Simpsons episode, which was my favorite (The City of New York Vs. Homer Simpson), where Homer sees a bus headed to Flushing Meadows and day dreams about frolicing through meadows of flushing toliets.

And an ad for the NY Jets:

CAN YOU THROW

A FOOTBALL?

1800-4NYJETS

Too bad they won't be showing that one anymore. -_-

I went to my first MLB game at Shea and have been going there for over 20 years it's a dump. I've also been to the Big Owe and the Vet and Candlestick but the absolute worst stadium I've been to is Tropicana Field hands down.

Dunno what was worse about the Vet....the concrete they called a playing surface or the fact that the city had to put a mini court and lockup in the basement.

Yeah, quite ironic seeing as Philly is always bleating about itself being The City Of Brotherly Love.

Sure thing guys.

I'll believe that as soon as you stop booing Santa Claus.

Archived