Bucks win Draft Lottery

TFoA

Atlanta must have really ticked off the basketball gods

Serves 'em right for leaving St. Louis!!!!!!

Yeah, it's been 37 years. Their last game was the day I was born. I should be over it any day now.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Atlanta must have really ticked off the basketball gods

Serves 'em right for leaving St. Louis!!!!!!

Yeah, it's been 37 years. Their last game was the day I was born. I should be over it any day now.

and before that, they were known as the Milwaukee Hawks..... so there's some due justice there :)

I saw, I came, I left.

That is messed up. The Bucks finished with a better record than the Jazz and they got the #1 pick while the Jazz get the #6. I'm really starting to hate the lottery.

Don't worry...you guys are gonna pick up a heck of a player at number six. Deron Williams.

He'll go down that far, and he's probably the most NBA ready PG out there right now.

If you like Jason Kidd, you'll like Deron Williams.

The reason everyone wants Marvin Williams is because he's a freshman, and he was one of the best players on UNC, at least the most talented. He's only 19, it'll take a few seasons but he'll be a great player in 3 years.

Here's how I see it:

1) Milwaukee: Andrew Bogut (Utah) Althought I'm not impressed by him, The best big man will go to the team that needs one.

2) Atlanta: Marvin Williams (UNC). Good fit for a team that needs a spark. He provided UNC with a spark all year long off the bench, I think he'll fit well in Atlanta. Good Talent there, just need a coach that can put up with it and make them play team ball.

3) Portland: Gerald Green (High School) Portland will probably be dumb and pick up a high schooler to fit in with the maturity of the Trailblazers. This pick would be so wrong, its bound to happen.

4) New Orleans: Fran Vazquez (spain) He's packaged and ready to play in the NBA, the Hornets need that.

5) Charlotte: Chris Paul (Wake Forest) Perfect fit for both teams. Provides someone to get the ball to Okafor, and he's a local hero which will be good for marketing.

6) Utah: Deron Williams (Illinois) Most NBA ready point guard IMO.

7) Toronto: Raymond Felton (UNC) Possibly replaces the void of a former UNC standout that played in the Great White North.

That's as far as I think I know. Sean May probably will be drafted early as well.

May wouldn't be undersized if you put him at a 4. I know you've read the experts' opinions, ITE, but I thought there were two or three players better than Marvin on UNC last year. Marvin is good, but I didn't see him as better than May, McCants, or Felton - Marvin still has A LOT to learn. Certainly not better than Simien or Bogut, IMO.

I don't know. I've had a discussion about whether or not May would be a successful NBA player and I took Mays side -- so I think he'll be successful, but he won't be dominant like he was in college. He's listed at 6'9"... which means he's probably 6'7" or 6'8" -- it's still fairly undersized and in the NBA, he doesn't have the strength advantage he had in college which you could probably attribute a lot of his success too.

I will say this... I thought Felton was UNC's best player. That team struggled and would not have won the National Championship without him. And May was dominant, but Williams is more talented and has a game that will translate better to the NBA. And as you said, the Draft has become about upside.

I'm still not sure Bogut is athletic enough. Whenever I watched a Utah game and the announcers were talking about how great he was, I never quite saw anything that would lead me to believe he'd be a franchise player -- that may just be me. He just seemed very slow to me.

IUe6Hvh.png

It's a pretty sad year in sports when both NFL and NBA #1 overall picks both come out of the University of Utah. <_<

Why is that so sad? :therock: If the players are good enough to be picked at #1 then what's really wrong with it?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

It's a pretty sad year in sports when both NFL and NBA #1 overall picks both come out of the University of Utah.  <_<

Why is that so sad? :therock: If the players are good enough to be picked at #1 then what's really wrong with it?

It's just a down year for both NFL and NBA drafts. There's not as much talent as there has been in the past. I think just about everyone will agree with me on that.

6uXNWAo.png

It's a pretty sad year in sports when both NFL and NBA #1 overall picks both come out of the University of Utah.   <_<

It's just a down year for both NFL and NBA drafts. There's not as much talent as there has been in the past. I think just about everyone will agree with me on that.

That still doesn't answer my question about the U of U. It's been proven in the past that great talent has come out of the U.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

It's a pretty sad year in sports when both NFL and NBA #1 overall picks both come out of the University of Utah.   <_<

All though the NFL draft wasn't as "top heavy" it was actually pretty deep.

As is the NBA draft. Now come on were not always gonna get LBJ, Mello, Bosh, and Dwade in the top 5 but this NBA draft isn't that bad.

Plus who cares if they come out of Utah?

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

All though the NFL draft wasn't as "top heavy" it was actually pretty deep.

As is the NBA draft. Now come on were not always gonna get LBJ, Mello, Bosh, and Dwade in the top 5 but this NBA draft isn't that bad.

Plus who cares if they come out of Utah?

Both the NFL and NBA drafts are very weak this year, IMO.

And no, I don't care about the Utes ether. It's just unusual having the top athletes in the same year come out of a school such as Utah.

6uXNWAo.png

The drafts this year are not filled with stars, but I think this year's NBA draft is much deeper than last year's. NFL draft isn't quite as good as last year's, I don't think, but we'll see.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So Andrew Bogut will be playin in my beloved Wisconsin  :D

Gotta love that

I think they'll pick Marvin Williams. That'd certainly be the smart pick, in my opinion.

I wouldn't take him. He wasn't even a starter on his college team......why would you take him above starters from his own team first?

He wasn't a starter because he was meant to provide a spark off of the bench. He's thought to be the most talented player from that team and he's got an incredible amount of upside. Believe me... he'll go hire than any of his college teammates.

IUe6Hvh.png

do I think Chris Paul will fall that low? No.

Do I think he SHOULD? yes. He's really really streaky. He'd score 38 one night...and 3 the next.

I think he'd fit in well in Charlotte...but he won't fall that low. He'll be a trailblazer.

As for Marvin Williams, no he wasn't a starter. But he was a freshman. Freshmen don't typically start at North Carolina. He had alot of people that had been there for 2-3 years that were starting. MJ started sure...but it took quite awhile for him to.

THe draft is all about upside like somoene said. This is why detroit didn't draft carmello. Darko had alot of upside, and still does. He had skills that could translate into a NBA star someday. They felt his potential was higher than Carmelo's. Most disagreed, but he still would have been a lottery pick had Detroit not picked him up.

The same goes for Marvin Williams. He's so talented, but he lacked the experience to start at UNC. His potential is so high, that's why he'll go top 3. He won't be an impact for you now, really there are probably 3 or 4 players that would definatly be an impact now (any european, deron williams, Raymond Felton, maybe chris paul and bogut, but those 2 I still have to see in the NBA first) but these players are closer to their top potential. In the end, Marvin williams will be a better player than any of these guys, or at least this is how NBA execs. think.

In the end, Marvin williams will be a better player than any of these guys, or at least this is how NBA execs. think.

Dasagana Diop was also drafted in the first round based on tremendous upside, thanks to NBA execs.

NBA needs to do what baseball (and in a way what hockey) does...draft a guy based on potential, hold on to his rights, send him to college or the minor/developmental league, and then bring them into the league three years later when they're ready to play.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Well, you could also look at players that were expected to make an impact right away that never panned out. It's a big gamble, either way -- you never know who's going to be successful.

If all else is equal when it comes down to it and I have the first pick... I look at the fact that Marvin Williams proved himself against ACC talent with ACC pressure as opposed to Bogut having proved himself against Mountain West competition. The one thing that would worry me about Marvin Williams is the fact that he could barely pull down a rebound against Illinois because he was so nervous.

IUe6Hvh.png

do I think Chris Paul will fall that low? No.

Do I think he SHOULD? yes. He's really really streaky. He'd score 38 one night...and 3 the next.

I get the same vibe from Bogut, he's got 'The Nest Shawn Bradley' written all over him.

Archived