MLB Interleague Question

yh

Next week the Cardinals travel to Tampa Bay to play the Rays. It will be the first time that these two franchises will have met in either regular or post season play. I'm curious as to what other MLB interleague matchups have yet to occur (not counting the Nationals, of course).

Well, I know the Brewers have played everyone :D

That's only because they switched from AL to NL a while back. I think some of the older, classic teams (Cubs, BoSox, Yanks, etc.) have yet to play some of the newer teams. Can't find schedules for IL play going all the way back to '97.

I think we're on the last wave of games involving teams that have never played each other in the regular season. The Angels were the last AL team the Braves hadn't faced, and they just played. Outside of the Diamondbacks and Devil Rays (possibly), each team will have played each of the other 29 teams this season.

I think the Royals have yet to meet the Braves. That's a scheduling quirk that won't be taken care of this year. Also, I don't think Houston has met Boston, and that also is a matchup I don't see on the schedule. There's probably at least one AL East team each member of the NL Central has not met, but some of those matchups will take place either this year or maybe in 2007.

Can someone please break down how they even decide the MLB schedules? I know there's interleague play every year now but does the AL West play the NL West one year and then the next they play the NL Central and then the next year the NL East?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Well, I know the Brewers have played everyone :D

Not quite. The Brewers haven't played Tampa Bay yet (they will after the Philadelphia series), because they moved over to the National League the same year that the Devil Rays started play (1998)

QPR%20Sig.png

Well, I know the Brewers have played everyone  :D

Not quite. The Brewers haven't played Tampa Bay yet (they will after the Philadelphia series), because they moved over to the National League the same year that the Devil Rays started play (1998)

and I'll be at the Brewers-D Rays game on Monday, both teams first matchup

I think the Royals have yet to meet the Braves. That's a scheduling quirk that won't be taken care of this year. Also, I don't think Houston has met Boston, and that also is a matchup I don't see on the schedule. There's probably at least one AL East team each member of the NL Central has not met, but some of those matchups will take place either this year or maybe in 2007.

Kansas City came to Atlanta last season, and won two of three. (I know, because I was at the rubber game.)

Also, I believe the Astros played in Boston the same year they no-hit the Yankees in the Bronx. I seem to remember ESPN harping about Jeff Bagwell finally getting to play at Fenway.....

The Braves have played every team in the AL. They played Baltimore, Boston, Toronto, New York, and Detroit in 1997; dropped the Tigers when Tampa Bay joined the AL East in 1998 and swept them in Tropicana. The Braves played series in Seattle, Texas, Oakland, Minnesota, and Chicago, and have hosted Chicago, Kansas City, Cleveland, Detroit, Texas, and now Anaheim.

Can someone please break down how they even decide the MLB schedules? I know there's interleague play every year now but does the AL West play the NL West one year and then the next they play the NL Central and then the next year the NL East?

Actually, it's kind of interesting. For ther 97, 98, 99, 00 and 01 seasons, the East played the East, the West played the West and the Central played the Central.

Beginning in 2002, any given division would play one of the other two divisons in the other league:

2002:

AL East vs. NL West

AL Central vs. NL East

AL West vs. NL Central

2003:

AL East vs. NL Central

AL Central vs. NL West

Al West vs. NL East

2004:

AL East vs. NL West

Yankees vs. Rockies, vs. Padres, @ Diamondbacks, @ Dodgers

Red Sox vs. Padres, vs. Dodgers, @ Rockies, @ Giants

Orioles vs. Diamondbacks, vs. Giants, @ Dodgers, @ Phillies

Blue Jays vs. Dodgers, vs. Diamondbacks, @ Giants, @ Padres

Devil Rays vs. Giants, vs. Rockies, @ Padres, @ Diamondbacks

AL Central vs. NL East

Twins vs. Mets, vs. Phillies, @ Expos, @ Brewers(Unbalanced sched.)

White Sox vs. Phillies, vs. Braves, @ Marlins, @ Expos

Royals vs. Expos, vs. Mets, @ Braves, @ Phillies

Indians vs. Marlins, vs. Reds(Unbalanced sched.), @ Mets, @ Braves

Tigers vs. Braves, vs. Marlins, @ Phillies, @ Mets

AL West vs. NL Central

Angels vs. Brewers, vs. Cubs, @ Pirates @ Astros

Rangers vs. Pirates, vs. Cardinals, @ Reds, @ Marlins(Unbalanced sched.)

Mariners vs. Astros, vs. Expos(Unbalanced sched.), @ Brewers, @ Pirates

Athletics vs. Reds, vs. Pirates, @ Cardinals, @ Cubs

2005:

AL East vs. NL Central

Yankees @ Brewers, @ Cardinals, vs. Pirates, vs. Cubs

Orioles @ Pirates, @ Reds, vs. Astros, vs. Rockies(Unbalanced sched.)

Red Sox @ Cardinals, @ Cubs, vs. Reds, vs. Pirates

Blue Jays @ Cubs, @ Astros, vs. Cardinals, vs. Brewers

Devil Rays @ Reds, @ Pirates, vs. Brewers, vs. Cardinals

AL Central vs. NL West

Twins @ Diamondbacks, @ Dodgers, vs. Giants vs. Padres

Tigers @ Dodgers, @ Rockies, vs. Padres, vs. Giants

White Sox @ Rockies, @ Padres, vs. Diamondbacks, vs. Dodgers

Indians @ Padres, @ Giants, vs. Rockies, vs. Diamondbacks

Royals @ Giants, @ Diamondbacks, vs. Dodgers, vs. Astros(Unbalanced sched.)

AL West vs. NL East

Angels @ Braves, @ Mets, vs. Nationals, vs. Marlins

Mariners @ Marlins, @ Nationals, vs. Phillies, vs. Mets

Rangers @ Phillies, @ Marlins, vs. Braves, vs. Nationals

Athletics @ Nationals, @ Braves, vs. Mets, vs. Phillies

So, it's been alternating every year. EDIT: I think this rotation might go through one more 2-year cycle before they change it.

EDIT 2: I have alll of the 2004 and all of the 2005 teams that played up now, excluding the games in May, late June and early July when rivals play.

Little bit of interesting thing: The AL West and NL Central, obviously, account for the unbalance in Interleague play. Divisions who play the AL West play three less games than everyone else, and the NL Central teams play three less games against whatever diviosn they face in interleague. That's why in 2004, when the AL West played the NL Central, NL Central teams only played six games against AL opponents besides, of course, the two rivalry weekends.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

I don't think the Twins have played the Expos/Senators.

When the AL Central played the NL East a few years ago, the Twins played them all except Montreal (got Milwaukee instead).

It struck me because it was 2002 and the two teams were rumored for contraction.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Expos played the Twins in Montreal from June 15-17 of 2004, or so SI.com says, lol.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

I don't think the Twins have played the Expos/Senators.

When the AL Central played the NL East a few years ago, the Twins played them all except Montreal (got Milwaukee instead).

It struck me because it was 2002 and the two teams were rumored for contraction.

The two teams met last year, with Minnesota sweeping the series in Montreal.

The Expos played the Twins in Montreal from June 15-17 of 2004, or so SI.com says, lol.

I stand corrected. I think after this year, the Twins will have played everyone.

I am not sure if they have played the Dodgers in interleague, but they played them in the 1965 Series.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I stand corrected. I think after this year, the Twins will have played everyone.

I am not sure if they have played the Dodgers in interleague, but they played them in the 1965 Series.

They play the Dodgers Friday night.

Archived