Rival cities

OMMF

Who is your city's biggest sports rival?

Here in Seattle, the answer is almost always Portland. Sonics-Blazers of the 80's, Sounders/Storm-Timbers of the 70's and 80's, Breakers/T-Birds-Winterhawks of every decade and even the Reign and Fire of the short lived ABL. If you wanted to stretch it, Washington and Oregon (the universities) are fierce rivals too.

Given the lack of proximity to other teams in leagues they share, it's only natural that these NW towns hate each other. If Portland ever gets an NFL or MLB team or *gasp* we both get NHL teams, that would be quite a civic war.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boston Vs. New York

...and not just for baseball but I suppose that's where it started. Basically anything that has to do with New York, Bostonians express everything from obvious dislike to outright hatred. :cursing: The Yankees come into town, its a prelude to war, any time the Mets are mentioned and you can feel the collective blood pressures in the room rise, The Jets come into Foxborough, and Pats fans get just a little more rowdy. Boston has a longer hockey history with Montreal than New York, but even then I have seen Rangers fans get heckled far worse than the Habs fans- unless its the playoffs. I went to Celtics-Knicks game earlier this year, and even though the Knicks were having a poor year, they were still getting mercilessly jeered- partially because they're from New York and that earns them abuse regardless I suppose.

Another funny thing, a few years back the Arena Football League held a regular season exhibition in Boston at the Fleet Center between the Florida Bobcats and the New York CityHawks. I'm guessing the league officials thought the Boston fans would root for New York because of its geographical location being far closer to Boston- instead it was reported the CityHawks never felt so far from home. They were constantly being booed, they got the traditional "NewYawkSux!" chant, and Florida got an extra long standing ovation at both halftime and at the game's end. So while I cannot speak for New York fans as a whole, it would seem Boston fans root against New York teams even when they have nothing at stake.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

MLB-NL-Reds vs anyone in the Central really

MLB-Interleague-Reds vs Indians

NFL- Bengals vs Browns

NCAA Football- UC Bearcats vs Miami(OH) Redhawks

NCAA Basketball- UC Bearcats vs Xavier Musketeers

MyHigh School-Glen Este Trojans vs Amelia Barons(I include this for my sake- our schools are in the same school district and are only about 5 minutes from each other.)

Hockey(hopefully the AHL will be back in Cincy for 2005-06, if not here were the Ducks rivals)

Chicago

Grand Rapids

Cleveland

Hershey(in the early years of the Ducks)

Milwaukee

Rochester

Kentucky(in the early years)

Louisville(in the early years)

Signature intentionally left blank

Used to live in Calgary, and nothing got the blood boiliing like the Battle of Alberta ? be it the Stampeders and the Eskimos, the Flames and the Oilers, or the U of C Dinos and the U of A Golden Bears.

Nowadays in Fernie, we only have the Ghostriders and they've only been in the KIJHL for a year, but our biggest rival has to be the Kimberley Dynamiters. The regular season games were intense ? with our Australian friends shouting profanities at the Nitros' bench and chanting "Kimberley's a girl's name" ? but the first round of the playoffs was even better. The two teams really slugged it out over six games before Kimberley prevailed.

The regular season games were intense — with our Australian friends shouting profanities at the Nitros' bench and chanting "Kimberley's a girl's name" — but the first round of the playoffs was even better. The two teams really slugged it out over six games before Kimberley prevailed.

I wonder how many of those Aussies are from the State of Victoria :)

I saw, I came, I left.

The regular season games were intense ? with our Australian friends shouting profanities at the Nitros' bench and chanting "Kimberley's a girl's name" ? but the first round of the playoffs was even better. The two teams really slugged it out over six games before Kimberley prevailed.

I wonder how many of those Aussies are from the State of Victoria :)

Vic-TOR-ia's a GIRL'S n-- oh, um, nevermind.... :D

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Philadelphia vs. the World.

F everyone.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Toronto without a doubt!

We here in Ottawa have one major league team and the hatred between our Sens fans and the centre of the universe's Leafs fans is quite intense! I love it!

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

Tampa's rivals:

MLB - Marlins (Miami)

That's only a ''rivalry'' because the MLB forces them to play every year. We don't look at the Rays as a rival down here. They're crap.

Miami:

MLB: Atlanta, Philadelphia

NBA: New York, Los Angeles (only because of the Shaq trade)

NFL: New York, Buffalo

Tampa's rivals:

MLB - Marlins (Miami)

That's only a ''rivalry'' because the MLB forces them to play every year. We don't look at the Rays as a rival down here. They're crap.

Miami:

MLB: Atlanta, Philadelphia

NBA: New York, Los Angeles (only because of the Shaq trade)

NFL: New York, Buffalo

the only reason I said the Marlins was so that the Rays had a rival, I cant think of anyone else

Boston, New Jersey, Los Angeles, Miami, blah blah blah

We're NYers. We hold the exclusive right to hate just about everyone else for any number of reasons.

Or none at all.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding." -John Updike

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Philadelphia vs. the World.

F everyone.

The world's response: F*** Philly! :D

Now thats as close as it can get to being Brotherly love! :D

You have to feel sorry for a city whose nickname means gay incest.

..... *thinks for a second* .... nah ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived