New Zealand team names

Alphabet Man

Seems like the New Zealanders get wrose and worse everytime they name a national team. First it was the All Blacks in Union, and then they have Tall Blacks (Basketball), Black Sox (Softball) and Black Caps (cricket), Black Sticks (hockey) and All Whites in soccer....the list goes on and on....Last Week, New Zealand Badminton named themselves the BlackCocks, i think it is about time someone stood up and took the piss! Go Black Cocks!!!

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Seems like the New Zealanders get wrose and worse everytime they name a national team. First it was the All Blacks in Union, and then they have Tall Blacks (Basketball), Black Sox (Softball) and Black Caps (cricket), Black Sticks (hockey) and All Whites in soccer....the list goes on and on....Last Week, New Zealand Badminton named themselves the BlackCocks, i think it is about time someone stood up and took the piss! Go Black Cocks!!!

.... well, they do have stiff competition ..... I think they have a severe length advantage over their Asian counterparts ..... :D ........ :down:

I saw, I came, I left.

for the hell of pointing it out, NZ gridiron at one point dubbed itself the Haka, though nowadays they go by Iron Blacks. the US team, consisting exclusively of semipro players, is the Gladiators...the UK nationals are the Lions, and the only others I can think of that use some sort of nickname is Australia...

...wait for it...

...the Outback...the outback's a place, not a team name :wacko:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Their women's teams have a thing for ferns: Tall Ferns (basketball), Silver Ferns (netball), etc. I like that they call their softball team the Black Sox. That's hot.

To my knowledge, only our Rugby Union (Eagles) and Rugby League (Tomahawks) NT's have nicknames. If the others did, they'd likely just be the "Eagles" or some other variation.

Last Week, New Zealand Badminton named themselves the BlackCocks, i think it is about time someone stood up and took the piss! Go Black Cocks!!!

Do you have a logo to show us or do we simply figure out what they used?? :D

"What a great Black rooster!"

"He's the tallest of the Black cocks..."

"The Blackcocks are the best!"

Edit... Damn filter!

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Can't wait until they start interviewing little old ladies who've been following NZ Badminton, and they get to say with a straight face, "I've been a fan of the Black Cocks for decades! I go crazy for the Black Cocks whenever I get to see them!"

Honestly, what were they thinking? It's way too far past subtle to use as a team nickname. What's the reaction been like in NZ?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

redsfan39 Posted on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2005 - 18:06:03

this might be a stupid question but why do they center on the moniker "black"?

Their rugby team wears all black (most of the time), and all the other national teams are just trying to attach themselves to the nation most successful team.

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

redsfan39 Posted on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2005 - 18:06:03

this might be a stupid question but why do they center on the moniker "black"?

Their rugby team wears all black (most of the time), and all the other national teams are just trying to attach themselves to the nation most successful team.

Aha... like Argentina and Brazil. At least about its jerseys' colors.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived