It's STILL the Golden Eagles

Sec19Row53

Marquette to stay the Golden Eagles

Weeks after changing their nickname to "Gold," then changing their minds amid an uproar and opening the issue up to a vote, Marquette officials this morning announced that "Golden Eagles" had beaten "Hilltoppers" by a 54 percent to 46 percent margin.

A total of 23,097 students, alumni and others voted between the two over the past two and a half weeks. An earlier vote had pared the choices from a list of 10 possible nicknames proffered by the university.

http://www.marquette.edu/opa/newsroom/nick...kname0629.shtml

It's where I sit.

Can I just laugh at how stupid the Marquette people are right now?

This is sad. If you knew they were going to stick as the Golden Eagles, why change the name?!?

Now, if it was the Golden Beagles or the Golden Shower, then it would kick ass.

Marquette is a university. Don't you think they'd be smart enough to know not to waste all this time by renaming the team to "Gold", then going to a vote and leaving out "Warriors"!? :wacko:

6uXNWAo.png

I thought Gold was an awesome name. It's original and makes a statement.

Yeah. And the statement is, "We want our school and the teams that represent it nationally to be a laughingstock because we can't come up with a better compromise between the traditionalists who rejected our last nickname and want "Warriors" back and any groups that the nickname "Warriors" offends."

Double :blink: .

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I thought Gold was an awesome name. It's original and makes a statement.

Yeah. And the statement is, "We want our school and the teams that represent it nationally to be a laughingstock because we can't come up with a better compromise between the traditionalists who rejected our last nickname and want "Warriors" back and any groups that the nickname "Warriors" offends."

Double :blink: .

That is why I still think it should be Warriors but with a twist. They should use a Trojan Soldier or a Roman esque Soldier for there mascot. They still would be called the "Warriors" though.

That is why I still think it should be Warriors but with a twist. They should use a Trojan Soldier or a Roman esque Soldier for there mascot. They still would be called the "Warriors" though.

Those are just 2 of the entertaining possibilities. Almost all cultures have a warrior class or warrior mythology; it is not exclusive to American Indians.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived