Jays to bid for '08 All-Star Game?

officeglenn

TSN.ca: Jays to bid for '08 All-Star Game

DETROIT (CP) - The all-star game is headed back to the American League in 2008, and the Toronto Blue Jays are thinking about making a run at it.

The Blue Jays last hosted the all-star game on July 9, 1991, a 4-2 win for the AL. But with the renovations the club is making to its Rogers Centre home, president Paul Godfrey believes the time is right for a return to Toronto.

''I am seriously considering bidding for 2008, as it would fit in with the updates of the Rogers Centre,'' said Godfrey.

The 2006 all-star game will be hosted by the Pittsburgh Pirates and will remain in the National League for 2007 in San Francisco.

Commissioner Bud Selig said earlier Tuesday that the all-star game would head back to an AL city in 2008 and possibly 2009 as well.

Hosting the event would give Toronto's economy a nice little boost.

The Detroit Metro Convention and Visitors Bureau estimates this all-star week's economic impact on the city to be nearly $55 million US.

:therock:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my mind, I'd love to see the Yankees host, although technically, the team that's gone the longest without hosting is Kansas City, although they haven't had a new ballpark. Tampa Bay has never hosted one. In my mind, with the new Yankee stadium set to open in 2009, I think it's a lock for that year. I could see Toronto getting the 2008 game - I think other candidates would be Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Oakland or Kansas City.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

In my mind, I'd love to see the Yankees host, although technically, the team that's gone the longest without hosting is Kansas City,

Mets haven't hosted since 1964, even Washington has hosted more recently than they have.

D-Rays, Marlins, and D-Backs have never hosted

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

Β 

"The Mothership" β€’ News β€’ Facebook β€’ X/Twitter β€’ Instagram

In my mind, I'd love to see the Yankees host, although technically, the team that's gone the longest without hosting is Kansas City,

Mets haven't hosted since 1964, even Washington has hosted more recently than they have.

D-Rays, Marlins, and D-Backs have never hosted

IF we get a ballpark. MLB has said we would get the 2011 or 2012 ASG.

1997 | 2003

IF we get a ballpark. MLB has said we would get the 2011 or 2012 ASG.

I got a feeling Florida will move to Las Vegas before they get a new ballpark.

6uXNWAo.png

My guess is we are going to Anaheim in 08 because of the Renovations they did all the way back in 97, if they bid. New York in 09 or 10 if there are delays.

As much as I would LOVE to have the ASG in Toronto again, we don't deserve it so soon.

I think Anaheim would be great for 2008, and since the AL is supposed to get it in 2009, put it in new Yankee Stadium.

---

Chris Creamer

Β 

What a nice facility for the ASG - I just wish KC would get their act together and put together a bid. The Wal-Mart 2012 All Star Game in Kansas City, MO @ Kaufman Stadium. :D

Kansas-BB-banner.pngΒ My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021Β  Β  Β  Β  Β St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)Β Β 2023 ChampionsΒ  Β  Β Kansas City Cattle (CL)

What a nice facility for the ASG - I just wish KC would get their act together and put together a bid. The Wal-Mart 2012 All Star Game in Kansas City, MO @ Kaufman Stadium. :D

No Americans in an ASG sponsored by Wal-Mart. They would outsource all the positions. :D

Lol

I think there shoudl always be a 20 year wait between hosting a ASG so I think Pittsburgh shoudl not host nbext year, taht shoudl have been Phoenix.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

St. Louis will probably be soon. They last hosted in '66. New ball park next year, great baseball town, huge successes with the Final Four and (off the field) the world series recently the town could easily pull it off.

I've heard them going for as early as '08 but if its definatly american league I'd imagine '09 or '10 is very likely.

Can't believe Arizona hasn't had it yet. Doesn't seem right.

Toronto isn't a terrible choice or anything. I'd like to St. Louis but I'd support Toronoto. New York should wait until they get the kinks out of a new ballpark a season or 2 IMO. '08 or 09' seems perfect for St. Louis cause they'll have the Ballpark Village completed by then.

'08 or 09' seems perfect for St. Louis cause they'll have the Ballpark Village completed by then.

And I'd agree, except the NL is hosting in '06 and '07, apparently bud said '08 and '09 to the AL, and if Yankee Stadium ain't finished yet then personally I'd award it to Kansas City 2008 and Anaheim 2009.

---

Chris Creamer

Β 

Originally St. Louis was guranteed the game in 2006 when the new ballpark stuff first popped up. That was of course if it was completed. Well, it will pretty much be completed, but none of the surrounding "Ballpark Village" will be, and so the Cardinals decided to wait.

Now I think they've been told pretty much by 2010. I suppose it could be 2011 or 2012, but I suspect it will be 2009 or 2010. I know Bud said probably 08 and 09 to the AL, but my guess is that really only 08 is GURANTEED to go to the AL. Then they just might also get it in 09.

Either way, St. Louis is long overdue to have it. The city called by many the best baseball town in America, and we haven't had it since Busch II's (current ballpark) opening season.

Now that I know we're gonna get it though, I can be patient waiting for the exact year.

unless the d-rays get a new stadium, they shouldnt get an all star game. the trop is a dump.

How the hell did that staidum ever get approved to host MLB games??

6uXNWAo.png

Archived