NASCAR vs. the NHL

I was thinkin about how all the sites or whatever talk about NASCAR taking over NHL's spot in the top four, and I have come to disagreements about that. I honestly didn't even know that NASCAR was still in season. I just read on about 3 sites that Tony Stewart won the Indianapolis (whatever its called) now I may be biased because hockey is my favorite sport but how do youns think about the "4th Sport"?

Now that we have the one for the thumb, the other hand looks lonely........GO STEELERS

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry, but NASCAR won't ever make it that big.  How many times can you watch a few cars go around a circle?

At least 200 times a week, apparently.

NASCAR gets higher ratings than the NBA and MLB regular season's combined. As much as I hate to say it, NASCAR is number two, right behind the NFL. Baseball and the NBA take up the last two spots.

It's not just that the NHL has fallen off. It's also that NASCAR has hit it big. Granted, I can't see the attraction. Cars driving around in a circle for FIVE HOURS. Honestly, how anyone can find that exciting is beyond me.

But its ratings are high and only improving.

The top 4 has evolved into the top 3: NFL, NBA, and MLB. The NHL, sadly, has dropped to the second-tier, alongside NASCAR, golf, and tennis.

I have to agree with that one. well at least in the stats. in canada it's NHL,NFL,MLB,CFL in that order

untitled-6.jpg

NASCAR gets higher ratings than the NBA and MLB regular season's combined. As much as I hate to say it, NASCAR is number two, right behind the NFL. Baseball and the NBA take up the last two spots.

In the United States, this is about right.

1. NFL. No question, not going away either.

2. PGA

3. NASCAR

4. MLB

5. NBA

(College footall and hoops, arena football, a whole bunch of other stuff)

NHL.

Calling it one of the "big four" is clinging to the past.

I gdon't get nascar either but look at all the stuff you see people wearing and putting on their car windows...

You cannot escape it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I hate to say this myself, NASCAR is way more popular than the NHL.

Personally, I can only get into a NASCAR race if it's on a road coarse (Somona and Watkins Glen). I watched the final 10 laps of yesterday's race and I swear I almost fell asleep. I can't stand to watch any oval race anymore.

If the NHL can be more fan-friendly and produces a very entertaining product over the next few years, then I can see them back up among the top leagues.

I saw, I came, I left.

I understand that some folks dont dig NASCAR, and they think it isnt a sport, etc, etc... but is it popular? Is it highly watched? Yes. That is indisputable. It has grown every year for the past 20, and shows no sign of slowing.

I'm sorry, but NASCAR won't ever make it that big.

Sorry, big guy, NASCAR has ALREADY made it big. Huge. The TV ratings and 100 thousand attendees plainly state that it is already way bigger than you think.

NHL has a chance to get back into the mix. I also think that as the next generation gets older, gets houses, and starts tuning their own TVs, that MLS will have an upward shot in ratings. Not that it will ever be a top 4, but an increase nonetheless.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

While I would've called NASCAR "a sport for rednecks" a few years ago, I have really gotten into it lately... and all it took was actually watching a few races.

I have that NASCAR In Car television package and it really made the races fun to watch, since you're basically sitting in the car with the driver the entire race, no play-by-play, only the sounds of the crew/driver communicating, and the engine.

I actually look forward to Sunday's to catch the races now.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Chris aint alone. Lots of folks love the race days.

BTW, 250,000 people ATTENDED the Daytona 500 this year. What's the record for the other major sports?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Chris aint alone. Lots of folks love the race days.

BTW, 250,000 people ATTENDED the Daytona 500 this year. What's the record for the other major sports?

That's a totally unfair comparison. Race tracks cover a much, much larger area than a stadium or arena.

I saw, I came, I left.

I guess it all dependes on where you live and where your from. Before I moved about a month ago I grew up and lived in Northern Suburban New Jersey. There you could make a case that hockey was more popular than Basketball. No one watched NASCAR. I don't think I knew 1 person who watched it.

I don't like NASCAR for the same reason other people metioned. It's boring and your watching guys drive in a circle. But another reason I don't like it is because of the same reason I don't like basketball. The beginning doesn't seem to matter. With Football, Baseball, and Hockey after the game is over I can look back at the beginng of the game and think of something that was real important in the game. Not so much with Basketball and NASCAR. In a 250 lap race who cares whoes winning after 30 laps. That's my big problem with NASCAR.

But another reason I don't like it is because of the same reason I don't like basketball. The beginning doesn't seem to matter.

Then again, you can say that about every form of auto racing......

I saw, I came, I left.

But another reason I don't like it is because of the same reason I don't like basketball. The beginning doesn't seem to matter.

Then again, you can say that about every form of auto racing......

And that's why I don't like other forms of Auto Racing too.

Am I a redneck? Maybe..do I like NASCAR? No.

I used to love NASCAR, but it's just gotten so dumbed down for all the masses.

"And this is a tire, when it gets hot..the drivers have to get them changed!"

Wow, that's exciting NBC.. Almost everyone watches people drive in circles, it's the truth. NASCAR has made itself too safe. My very first race was in the late 80s (that I can remember), and I saw a certain #3 car spin around my favorite driver into the wall, and no one thought foul of it..that's just how you did it..

Now, you go below the "white line of death" and you're penalized..it's rediculous. I didn't quit watching because of Earnhardt getting killed, I quit watching because everyone thinks that what's on NBC and Fox is NASCAR, it's not. I could say the same about a Royal's game representing all of baseball..or a Hawks game representing Basketball..etc.

The Glory Days are gone for NASCAR, when after a wreck, two drivers would get out and fight about it..they were rednecks..and they beat each other up on and off the track for the win..now it's all about Follow the leader..

I still like Racing..but NASCAR and F1 should just be destroyed..(DAMN YOU SCHUMACHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Anyway, my top 4:

None, all televised sports suck now, I'd rather watch the Semi-Pro Evansville Vipers over my dear Atlanta Falcons..

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

As much as I love the NHL, it's on the same level as Arena Football and MLS now.

And yeah, this whole thread is kind of irrelevant, as hockey is a team sport, where NASCAR is an individual sport. NASCAR is in the big 3 individual sports, with golf and tennis.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

I'm an old fart who has been following NASCAR since the late '50s. Back then it WAS a redneck sport. All the drivers were basically southern boys, some of whom (Junior Johnson) actually ran moonshine and served a little time for their transgressions.

For me the attraction has been car make vs. car make. I'm a 1000% Ford lover. I can't stand any of the pretty-boy Chevy drivers. I don't care which driver wins as long as it's in a Ford. Chevrolet- Shove 'em over and let 'em lay. Or S**tbox. Got no respect for 'em. None. Nada. Nothing.

And it looks like Toyota will join NASCAR very soon. Heaven help us. A bunch of GD rice-burners in the All-American sport of NASCAR. Who's next, VW, Audi, Citroen? Makes you wonder who won the war.

And I hate road course racing. Wine and cheese Euro racing, that's what it is. Now THAT'S BORING! Give me Daytona or Bristol or Charlotte anytime.

No, money drives NASCAR to the top. As long as we buy beer and cereal and cell phones and all the other crap the cars advertise NASCAR will continue to grow. Is it a sport? That's the point. Team sport, no. Spectator sport, yes. Like horse racing. Kentucky draws in excess of 100,000 for the Derby. Auto racing's the same idea.

I love it, but even I don't consider it a REAL "sport." :blink:

Archived