E-Bay's Most Blatant counterfeitter?

timparry

Mitchell and Ness has a whole eBay page http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...chellandnessrep set up to deal with counterfeit stuff, but the gist I get from reading it is they themselves really can't do anything unless someone says "Mitchell and Ness" in their auction. Thus, sellers just say "throwback" and reel in the bids.

Is there a double standard on eBay about media counterfeiting and goods counterfeiting? I've bought a lot of jerseys and a lot of software (no problems with either), and I've noticed a lot more warnings about bootlegs and stuff when I was buying media. Maybe the sports leagues themselves need to turn up the heat like the MPAA/RIAA?

1zgyd8w.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at this Pacers jersey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JERMAINE-ONEAL-PACERS-...1QQcmdZViewItem

This guy makes me sick.

I don't see how it's fake. Help?

look at the colour surrounding the numbers and letters of the jersey... then of the photo.

Honestly, if you are given a chance to compare the product to a photo of the actualy jersey in use, and you buy one of these pieces anyway, the blame is on you. The O'Neal jersey is about as close as the Braylon Edwards jersey - close but an obvious fake. (Look at the numbers closely.)

As for the "JABBAR" jersey:

1. He wasn't "JABBAR" at UCLA.

2. He is "ABDUL-JABBAR".

3. UCLA didn't wear names back then.

4. UCLA does put names on their jerseys now, but they're NEVER arched - always straight across, like the Pistons.

Other than that, right on again... :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

This guy sure isn't the only one selling crap. How can this be a "throwback" jersey when it's the CURRENT jersey, and then there's the detail of Archie having been gone for the Saints for about a decade and a half before this style jersey was worn. He says it's a Reebok with tags but they don't make stuff like this, do they?

c8_1_b.JPG

Good grief, he's got Sam Mills in a current jersey too, with white numbers, which the Saints have never had on that jersey.

13_1_b.JPG

The shame of it is when a buyer is looking for a gift for someone they know loves that team but the buyer isn't savvy enough to know the fake stuff.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

1a_1_sbl.JPG

His name was still Alcindor at UCLA, and his NBA jerseys said "ABDUL-JABBAR" after the conversion, not "JABBAR"....

Not to be too nitpicky (actually isn't nitpicking what we're here for?) but Kareem did play a little while with the bucks with just Jabbar on the back of his jersey. I honestly can't remember if he changed it during the season or went the whole year with it but it did happen for at least a short time. That does not in any way justify this obvious fake jersey I just wanted tp pass along a little trivia.

BB52Big.jpg

The numbers there are obviously off too...why do people bid on this stuff?

People bid on this stuff because they don't care. They think they are getting a deal or something I guess. The truth is some of these jerseys are real with fake numbers. There is a Gabriel Bros. Store where I live that has about 100 NFL equipment Browns replicas with no numbers on them for sale at 7.99 each. They also have a wide variety of other teams. All NFL equipment and all blank. Pro Bowl jerseys too. Next spring they will fill the store with blank baseball jerseys. It happens every season. Sometimes the football jerseys will have sleeve numbers but nothing else. The baseball jerseys are legit, blank, and usually about 3.99 each. It would be easy enough to buy these blanks, add numbers and put them on ebay as "authentic." So in a sense some of the jerseys are "authentic" well at least "authentic" replicas made by Reebok and numbered and lettered elsewhere. It doesn't make it right but it's easy to see where an ebay seller would feel comfortable making the "authentic" claim. It's still a huge rip-off but these guys are probably just within the legal limit so to speak. If I can walk into a store and buy blank jerseys imagine what a graphics or screenprinting company can get their hands on with their connections. It's bad and unethical business but as I said most people don't care if the jerseys are fake as long they think they are getting some sort of deal. I just laugh when I see someone at a game wearing an obvious fake.

BB52Big.jpg

This guy sure isn't the only one selling crap. How can this be a "throwback" jersey when it's the CURRENT jersey, and then there's the detail of Archie having been gone for the Saints for about a decade and a half before this style jersey was worn. He says it's a Reebok with tags but they don't make stuff like this, do they?

I saw a Kellen Winslow powder blue Chargers jersey at Foot Locker just this week. If memory serves Winslow was drafted after the Chargers had switched from the powder blues. I think I also saw a post somewhere that said there are now throwbacks with players that never played in the era of the throwback their name is on. The Manning jersey might be one of these new "combined era" (?) throwbacks.

BB52Big.jpg

c8_1_b.JPG

Good grief, he's got Sam Mills in a current jersey too, with white numbers, which the Saints have never had on that jersey.

13_1_b.JPG

The shame of it is when a buyer is looking for a gift for someone they know loves that team but the buyer isn't savvy enough to know the fake stuff.

Please keep this thread dedicated to the real_deal_sales user... there is a seperate e-bay thread in which this would go into.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

This guy sure isn't the only one selling crap.  How can this be a "throwback" jersey when it's the CURRENT jersey, and then there's the detail of Archie having been gone for the Saints for about a decade and a half before this style jersey was worn.  He says it's a Reebok with tags but they don't make stuff like this, do they?

c8_1_b.JPG

13_1_b.JPG

Please keep this thread dedicated to the real_deal_sales user... there is a seperate e-bay thread in which this would go into.

Those numbers look like they were Photoshopped on the pics of the jerseys.

Yeah, I reported several of his items, too.

I bet we end up just looking like sore former customers, and they ignore it out of hand.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut, or something like that.

IMHO, selling "some legit stuff" makes someone a counterfitter. If someone decides to put his trust in something that "looks real" from a guy he admit sells "some legit stuff," then he's just asking to be ripped off.

Oh and the Saints jerseys are definitely graphically enhanced, it's the same exact picture of the jersey, all of the little creases, folds, and overlaps are in the same exact place.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

IMHO, selling "some legit stuff" makes someone a counterfitter. If someone decides to put his trust in something that "looks real" from a guy he admit sells "some legit stuff," then he's just asking to be ripped off.

That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is I have bought a jersey from him that is authentic. I have not seen him sell anything that was blatantly wrong, so based on my experience, I assume that what he sells is 100% authentic.

That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is I have bought a jersey from him that is authentic. I have not seen him sell anything that was blatantly wrong, so based on my experience, I assume that what he sells is 100% authentic.

I'm glad you didn't get ripped off and I'm not saying everything the guy sells is fake but in the last month alone, he's received the following feedback...

"I was pleased with the speed of delivery, but the jersey is not authentic."

"jersey was a korea special (sweatshopped) from maybe songton or yongson area"

"Auth. Rebok Jersey yes. Auth. Arizona Cardinals jersey no. no logo patch on it."

"nice jersey, too bad it wasnt the one advertised."

"Reebok tags are stolen, jersey's are not only fakes but illegal - DO NOT BUY!!!!"

"arrived very timely. not authentic as advertised. never replied to my email."

"not authentic and didnt respond when i tried to talk to him."

"JERSEYS 100% FAKE, HAD TO FILE PAYPAL DISPUTE TO GET MONEY BACK. SCAM ARTIST!"

Is that enough to at least make someone suspicious? I wouldn't buy anything from this guy even if it was somehow certified to be authentic.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm glad you didn't get ripped off and I'm not saying everything the guy sells is fake but in the last month alone, he's received the following feedback...

"I was pleased with the speed of delivery, but the jersey is not authentic."

"jersey was a korea special (sweatshopped) from maybe songton or yongson area"

"Auth. Rebok Jersey yes. Auth. Arizona Cardinals jersey no. no logo patch on it."

"nice jersey, too bad it wasnt the one advertised."

"Reebok tags are stolen, jersey's are not only fakes but illegal - DO NOT BUY!!!!"

"arrived very timely. not authentic as advertised. never replied to my email."

"not authentic and didnt respond when i tried to talk to him."

"JERSEYS 100% FAKE, HAD TO FILE PAYPAL DISPUTE TO GET MONEY BACK. SCAM ARTIST!"

Is that enough to at least make someone suspicious? I wouldn't buy anything from this guy even if it was somehow certified to be authentic.

I checked his feedback and none of the comments you listed were anywhere. He only has two negatives in the past year, so I'm not sure where you got that. Here a link to his feedback page. http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...1&iid=-1&de=off

By the way, the seller is klucthsports, not realdealsales, the person the thread was origionally about.

Archived