New here, Major League Baseball

worst. jersey. ever.

Hey, I'm new to the forum, I figured I'd get my stay here off to a start with a topic I've thought about a lot.

Top 5 uniforms in Major league baseball you'd like to see changed, and what you would do with it?

These are mine:

5. Houston Astros- A lot of people say their unis look sharp, and though I don't think they look terrible: they're just not the Houston astros without orange and dark blue. I'd go back to the old colors, not quite as rainbow-ish as the old ones, but maybe a taste of it in the piping on the sleeves or something. I'd keep the current cap logo, but change the cap to dark blue, make the star orange with a white outline.

4. New York Mets- LOSE THE BLACK. They have classic unis with a classic look, I don't know why they insisted on mucking it up with black. I'd use the royal blue cap exclusively, burn the black jerseys, get rid of all black outline in their white and gray unis, and come out with a sharp royal blue away alternate.

3. Arizona Diamondbacks- Toooooo many colors. Black, Purple, Teal, Gold- they need to pick two and stick with those. These might be too far gone to fix without a complete overhaul, I'd probably eliminate purple and teal altogether and stick with the Black and Gold (I know I just criticized the Mets' use of black, I do like it in certain cases). Their "A" logo is nice and the Diamondback print on the sleeves is really clever, so I'd probably keep all that, but change it into the Black and Gold color Scheme, and burn all of the Snake "D" caps, because everyone knows the cap has to have the city initial on it.

2. Cincinnati Reds- A team with an amazing history of uniforms who really plop the bed with some of their recent moves. The addition of black of course was terrible move, as well as wearing red socks with black sleeves under their cutoffs. I would drop the black, keep the cutoffs.

1. Toronto Blue Jays- This might be the worst uniform I've seen in any sport ever. Where to start with them? They are the BLUE jays, not the black and gray jays. The charcoal gray cap looks awful, not to mention the new "J" logo, or gray numbers on a white jersey. If I were the Jays, I'd go back to the jerseys they wore in the 1993 world series, the Joe Carter jerseys as I like to call them. The Jay logo on the cap was sharp, their use of light blue was not overstated, and the font used on the numbers was freakin sweet.

:welcome:

Excellent observations, I can't disagree with a single thing you said (which sucks :D)! I see another redesign project on the horizon!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

the rockies need to end their fascination with purple and get rid of the black cutoffs with black undersleeves and spring training jerseys worn during the regular season. once they do that, theyll be ok.

I agree. They should concentrate on the black and silver.

3. Arizona Diamondbacks- Toooooo many colors. Black, Purple, Teal, Gold- they need to pick two and stick with those. These might be too far gone to fix without a complete overhaul, I'd probably eliminate purple and teal altogether and stick with the Black and Gold (I know I just criticized the Mets' use of black, I do like it in certain cases). Their "A" logo is nice and the Diamondback print on the sleeves is really clever, so I'd probably keep all that, but change it into the Black and Gold color Scheme, and burn all of the Snake "D" caps, because everyone knows the cap has to have the city initial on it.

I will have to disagree with you right now, the Diamondbacks have one of the finest looks in the Major Leagues. I would not change it one bit. I would also keep the Snake D Hat, one of the finest looks in the Majors as well. Vitamin D may disagree with me, but oh well. Keep the Dbacks the way they are

As a former Phoenix-area resident, I also like the D-Backs' look. I like the home whites better (especially the sleeveless jerseys), but the road gray and black combo has kind of grown on me.

My only other disagreement with worst-jersey's original post is that I think the Mets' adoption of black is the worst transgression of all. Even ahead of the bizarre monstrosity that the Graphite Jays wear.

Welcome aboard. As a Mets fan I agree with you 100%. I didn't mind the black alternate jersey, when it was that, an alternate. I hate the balck shadowing on the white and pinstripe jerseys. I am completely with you, lose the black.

As for the Blue Jays, That cap logo is hideaous and waaayyy too big. It looks ridiculous. They should trash the entire set.

The worst part about the Rockies black vests is the stupid white piping around the arm sockets. Looks ridiculous.

I was really pissed off when the Astros changed to their current design. I think the mid 90s design was their best. The current set has grown on me a little, but I still prefer the mid 90s... that hat is one of my all-time favorites. One thing that I hate about the current Stros uniforms is that they have too many shades of red - the BP jersey red, alternate hat red, alternate jersey red, and home jersey number all look slightly different.

I love the DBacks look, I would just get rid of the sleeveless roads. I love the black alternates, and the snake D cap is going to be the next MLB cap I buy.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

As a Diamondbacks fan, I am probably a bit biased, but I really like their uniforms. The only gripe I have is that their home and road sets are completely different. Different colors, different logos, that's what bugs me.

Most people complain that they have too many jerseys, yet they actually only have 4, and have had that many for the last few years. Home white, home white vest, road grey vest, and road black. No more purple, none with "Diamondbacks" written across the front.

True, the home white and home home vest jerseys are probably not both necessary, with both having the same "A" logo, but there are several other teams that have 4 jerseys (Twins, Marlins, Mets with 5!)

My biggest gripe about the home and road looking different, I am afraid, doesn't have an easy solution. The obvious idea would be to take one color and make it the primary color for home and road. I am not a big fan of black as a primary, so I wouldn't want to see their home hats in black. And the thought of a purple hat matched with a grey jersey doesn't strike me as a good idea. So what to do? The best choice might be to just leave them as is.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I was really pissed off when the Astros changed to their current design. I think the mid 90s design was their best.

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about the Brewers. :D

They went from having a really sharp, meaningful design to a boring design that somehow manages to be a mess and bland at the same time.

the rockies need to end their fascination with purple

I disagree. The Rockies should emphasize purple more, as in purple mountain majesty. The Rockies should totally ditch the black and have gold and silver as their other colors.

Other than that, I totally agree with you. And welcome aboard.

I will have to disagree with you right now, the Diamondbacks have one of the finest looks in the Major Leagues. I would not change it one bit. I would also keep the Snake D Hat, one of the finest looks in the Majors as well. Vitamin D may disagree with me, but oh well. Keep the Dbacks the way they are

Hey! What'd I miss? Oh.

Yeah, I do disagree with ya, Lil G. But it is for the reasons already elaborated by a new brother-in-arms. Especially for a team as young as the D-Backs, a little cap uniformity would help solidify their logo and identity a little better. And while the D-snake is creative - in the same way the old Brewers "ball & glove" is creative - the more proper way to identify a team on its cap is to have the initial of the city/state the team plays in. Creativity doesn't always mean wearability. Thus, I'd opt for the "A". Although I would keep the teal and purple - add those to copper and you have a very traditional Southwestern desert color palette.

And although winghaz beat me to it, the Rockies are the mountains that inspired the line in "America the Beautiful". Purple can work if done right - look at the Lakers and the Vikings. The infatuation with every team needing to wear black needs to die out, and the Rockies should ditch the black and silver look. Nobody wants to be the Oakland Raiders anymore, it's not 1988 (although I miss N.W.A.). Look at the teams scaling back on their black: Orlando Magic, Miami Heat, KC Royals [FINALLY!]. Purple and silver (and my choice, forest green) would set off the Rockies' set perfectly.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived