Crazy Play

Cyclopsis Joe

Boston player Kapler (saw it on SC, didn't get his first name), tripped during a home-run trot and snapped his achilles tendon. The Red Sox had to substitute a pinch runner to complete the home run walk around the bases. Kapler fell and couldn't get up, so if the guy who hit the home run went past him, then the guy is out. So, they had to subsitute a pinch runner for Kapler in the middle of a play.

That's today's weird baseball rule.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

dude that guy must be so embarrased about tripping......and that doesnt make sense at all...but that baseballs rules

Did you even see the play? JP has it - Kapler tore his Achilles rounding second.

The real heads-up play in all of this was Tony Graffanino's - by stopping at second instead of passing Kapler he made sure both runs would count. Great job by Graffanino there.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

This would be the second such incident at the Rogers Centre this season.

Earlier this year Orlando Hudson injured himself while rounding the bases, he made it around on his own, but it took him almost 2 minutes to do so.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

capt.fng11009150116.red_sox_blue_jays_fng110.jpg

Check out the look on Kapler's face in that photo. Like the old bit where the comedian tugs on his collar when the routine's not going so well ... :D

Just for clarification's sake, since Kapler wasn't at a base when he went down, did the pinch runner basically have to tag Kapler before he could finish the trip around the bases? I'm just curious is all.

Totally a heads-up play by Graffanino, though. Reminds me of the triple play that should have been when the Jays were playing the Braves in 1992. I can't remember who flied out, but then Tony Pendleton passed Deion Sanders and was called out. Kelly Gruber then tagged Sanders, who was caught in a rundown on his way back to second. The ump called him safe, but the TV replays clearly showed Prime Time was out.

Earlier this year Orlando Hudson injured himself while rounding the bases, he made it around on his own, but it took him almost 2 minutes to do so.

Were these just freak incidents, or is something up with the turf at the Rogers Centre?

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

Were these just freak incidents, or is something up with the turf at the Rogers Centre?

Nah, you can tear your Achilles simply walking down the street, you don't have to be doing excessive movements. Sometimes it just goes.

The best part about tearing an Achilles is that if you're lucky you can actually see the tendon roll all the way back up the leg.

Quite sweet.

Ouch and thats not an easy injury to recover from Dan Marino was never quite the same after tearing his in 1993..

True, but I think most of that was declining skills due to age (like a certain #4 in Green Bay) rather than any lasting damage from injury.

Archived