Putting black in uniforms where it does not belong

Jungle Jim

Forgive me if this has been discussed here already. I know that the topic has been included in other threads and discussions, but I'd like to specifically hear your opinions on how much longer it will be before teams start to move away from adding black to uniforms where it doesn't belong, or overusing it when other colors are available and more suitable. We all know the culprits: Rangers, Mets, Reds (at least not to the degree they use it on the road), Royals (changing next year), Blue Jays, Astros, Marlins, Lions, and others.

I ask because I dream of the day when my Cincinnati Reds return to a simple red and white color scheme, or at least scale the black back to a highlight color. I will rejoice on the day they wear the black caps and black undershirts for the last time. Same for the Mets. I don't like the Mets, but it would be so nice to see them return to blue and orange, and away from the horrible mess they are now.

The 70s brought us some pretty tacky uniforms, but I loved the colors that were used: the orange of the Astros, the yellow of the Pirates and Padres, the kelly green of the Athletics, the red road caps of the Cardinals, the orange of the Orioles... It was certainly a colorful decade. I'd love to see teams return to the bright colors, but within the constraints of traditionally styled uniforms (no solid color alts, in other words). There's way too much navy in baseball, as well as the black.

While black is and will always be a color in the Orioles uniforms, they have really brought back the orange this year, and it looks great. Now if they'd only really see the light and paint the bill of their helmet (road and away) orange, and use the orange billed caps full-time, they'd really be onto something.

So when will the love affair with black and navy end? Will the Royals start a new trend when they eliminate the black next season? Will other teams follow the Orioles lead and bring back some bright colors? I certainly hope so. Are you listening, Reds? Astros? Pirates? Padres? No, I'm not advocating a return to the Astros stripes, the Padres solid brown, or the Pirates solid yellow. I'm thinking more along the lines of what these teams wore around 1972.

It's all cyclical, so it comes and goes. With the Royals changing next year, I think that is a start in the right direction. The White Sox in 1991 were really the first to usher in the black wave, and other teams saw their marketing success and looked to capitalize. In the last few years, teams have been more original in their color schemes, like with the popularity of orange and light blue, which previously hadn't been seen too much. There always seems to be a color or two that is all the rage for a while. Now it is black, in the 90's it was teal, in the 70's and 80's about half the MLB teams wore a powder blue road uni. So it is only a matter of time before black is towned down.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

The Royals aren't the first to see the error of their ways. The A's had those hideous black jerseys and caps (with green script) and ditched them after 2(?) seasons.

The Mets are the next on the Most Wanted list. I actually don't mind the black cap with the blue bill as a road cap -- as long as the greys are the one and only road uniform. At home, blue and blue only. Two home jerseys -- white w/ pinstripes and plain white. The black shadowing on the letters and numbers is OK.

Marlins and Orioles have about the right amount of black in their sets. The O's increase in orange is 2-3 years old. The orange-billed caps started out as an alt.

I actually liked the home uni before this one, with the black script and orange number on the front.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I don't think the black thing will go away, it will only get worse. It's all because of $$$$. The sad fact is that black apparel sells really well. The teal fad of the 90s was just a fad, and it seems most of those teams either went to black/navy blue or reverted to their original colors.

I know I sound like a broken record, but you also have to blame the players who like Any Given Sunday. Why else would we get all-black clown suits like the Ravens, Jaguars, Bengals, and Falcons? Or blue scuba suits like the Seahawks and Bills?

Do people really think it looks professional?? Watching the all-blue Bills against the Falcons with black pants last weekend was too much for me. Wouldn't the coach want their team to look a bit different??

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I ask because I dream of the day when my Cincinnati Reds return to a simple red and white color scheme, or at least scale the black back to a highlight color. I will rejoice on the day they wear the black caps and black undershirts for the last time. Same for the Mets. I don't like the Mets, but it would be so nice to see them return to blue and orange, and away from the horrible mess they are now.

We saw them play at Miller Park last night, and it was disheartening to see a team called the Reds wearing mostly black. That being said, I think there's a lot of knee-jerk reaction against black because of teams using it improperly or using too much of it. As a result, black sort of gets a bad rap. Black is not an "evil" color when used properly, as in trim or shadow effects. Most of the teams that added black to their color schemes need only minor tweaking and getting rid of black alternates, but to lose black entirely? C'mon! The Reds do use black properly in their home and alternate uniforms, and seeing a large area of red against the black drop shadow makes it "pop" that much more. They really should get rid of the black undershirts and caps, though. They just don't look right with the red socks they wear for the away uniforms.

QPR%20Sig.png

They really should get rid of the black undershirts and caps, though. They just don't look right with the red socks they wear for the away uniforms.

Especially when most players today wear their pants at the tops of the shoes, you can't even see the one area of the uniform that is predominately red!

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Skimming the other posts, so this may have been mentioned ... but what were the Philly Eagles doing in black the past weekend - horrible. I liked the look of the all-navy Bills, but thought that Atlanta should have then gone all-white (or silver or grey) to contrast. The point of alternate uniforms should be to avoid clashes and improve visibility - not make things worse!

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

Marlins and Orioles have about the right amount of black in their sets. The O's increase in orange is 2-3 years old. The orange-billed caps started out as an alt.

I actually liked the home uni before this one, with the black script and orange number on the front.

But isn't this the first season the O's have worn the orange billed cap as much as they have? I don't follow them daily, but it seems that they've worn it almost every day. Also, isn't this the first year for the orange lettering? Again, I'm asking because I haven't followed them.

I think the Marlins are one of the teams that is guilty of the overuse of black. I'm not a big teal fan, but if that's going to be in their colors, then they need to display it more than they do. It seems that the only color that stands out on their unis is black. I would like to see a return to some shade of green for their caps and helmets, just not necessarily the teal of 1993.

The Mets are the next on the Most Wanted list. I actually don't mind the black cap with the blue bill as a road cap -- as long as the greys are the one and only road uniform. At home, blue and blue only. Two home jerseys -- white w/ pinstripes and plain white. The black shadowing on the letters and numbers is OK.

The Mets need to dump the black shadowing on the Pinstripe jersey; it looks terrible. I can live with it on the others, but pleeeeaaassseee go back to the old orange/blue/white pinstripe jersey just like 1969.

it will never end. the general public loves black. I am on an NFL message board, And you always hear: "The Eagles and Lions jerseys are awesome! They look badass!" <_<

Doesn't make it right, and I can't imagine these people speak for most of us.

As an Eagles fan, I find the black jersey repugnant. Black jerseys and midnight green helmets is an ill-conceived idea, especially when black wasn't really added until the mid-'90s. The Eagles got by for over half a century with green, white and silver (black outlined the numbers on the kelly green set before Lurie made the switch to midnight green, but that was it). This is the evolution of the previous fashion jersey (it had green numerals where the black alts have white), which was wretched when it came out. The Lions aren't any better, especially seeing how the numbers aren't white, and are more difficult to read. The Lions and Eagles sold out decades of recognizable team colors to placate fools who dress in black because it's cool.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Even my old high school added a black alternate jersey for football. Think the Cowboys current throwback white shoulder/sleeves - black base jersey except the white is royal blue with royal blue numbers, white outline black jersey, no tv numbers on shoulder or sleeves just our mascot name across the chest like Oklahoma and the number on front and back. They look cool just a little difficult to read...our school colors are blue and white with red and silver/grey.

arizonawildcatsbs4.png

it will never end. the general public loves black. I am on an NFL message board, And you always hear: "The Eagles and Lions jerseys are awesome! They look badass!"  <_<

Doesn't make it right, and I can't imagine these people speak for most of us.

As an Eagles fan, I find the black jersey repugnant. Black jerseys and midnight green helmets is an ill-conceived idea, especially when black wasn't really added until the mid-'90s. The Eagles got by for over half a century with green, white and silver (black outlined the numbers on the kelly green set before Lurie made the switch to midnight green, but that was it). This is the evolution of the previous fashion jersey (it had green numerals where the black alts have white), which was wretched when it came out. The Lions aren't any better, especially seeing how the numbers aren't white, and are more difficult to read. The Lions and Eagles sold out decades of recognizable team colors to placate fools who dress in black because it's cool.

Oh I know it doesnt make it right, I cringe everytime I hear someone say that. But, unfortunetly, thats the way it is.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Archived