Putting black in uniforms where it does not belong

Jungle Jim

Even my old high school added a black alternate jersey for football. ....

When I went to high school, our teams wore green and white. Basketball was the biggest sport - we didn't have football - and the unis looked just like the Boston Celtics, except they said WARRIORS or ELK LAKE on them. It was probably because the school's first coach - who was still there 20 years later - played for Boston in the '40s. (He died two months after we won the State Championship my senior year.)

A few years later, they jazzed things up a bit, with a bit of yellow trim ... mainly around the numbers, and a thin yellow stripe in the middle of the green and white stripes on the side. It looked a little odd, but OK. In the programs, it still listed "School Colors: Green and White."

Last year, I went to a game, and I noticed the yellow was gone, and there was black trim. No completely black unis, thankfully, but a significant amount of black amidst the green and white. I thought they looked ugly, but I considered it a concession to the times ...

That is, until I looked at the program. It said: "School Colors: Green, White and Black."

:therock:

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Think the Cowboys current throwback white shoulder/sleeves - black base jersey

actually the cowboys throwback is navy, not black.

Yeah I know I was just saying the Think the Cowboys current throwback white shoulder/sleeves - black base jersey except the white is royal blue with royal blue numbers

I added the - for whatever reason to continue on the HS alternate jersey hence why it says except the white is royal blue after black base jersey. No harm either way.

arizonawildcatsbs4.png

Kinda on topic, kinda off topic. What about all the teams who add gray/silver? Why isn't anyone on their jock like when a team goes with black? The Indians added silver trim. Didn't the Pacers just add a gray? The Colts added a gray mask and the Cardinals kept theirs. USC added a gray mask as did UCLA. I think if you're gonna rag on adding black, it's only fair to rag on adding gray when it doesn't belong.

KISSwall09.jpg

The bluejays went gray-black-blue, to a horrid result. They need a makeover in the T.

My high school has been red and gold for a long time, and they still are today just barely hanging onto the red and gold after a push from the players to fuse black in with it. The football team got new jerseys recently, and thankfully they're styled after USC with no black, much to the new kid's dismay. The basketball team got black pregame warmups (that look like crap) but that's all the athletic department would allow. They're very adament (thankfully) about staying true to the red and gold.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think if you're gonna rag on adding black, it's only fair to rag on adding gray when it doesn't belong.

No way, the needless black is waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion to teams adding gray facemasks. Please.

FsQiF2W.png

I think if you're gonna rag on adding black, it's only fair to rag on adding gray when it doesn't belong.

No way, the needless black is waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion to teams adding gray facemasks. Please.

I didn't just limit it to facemasks. Look at the Pacers, Indians, etc.

KISSwall09.jpg

It may be the end hopefully

looks at the AWESOME panthers blue jerseys!

What color are panthers? If you name your team "Panthers", there's nothing wrong with black jerseys, IMO. (Although the blue jerseys are sweet.)

Now, if your team name is Royals or Blue Jays or Reds, you've pretty much predetermined your primary color. And it isn't black. If you're a team as established as the Lions or Eagles, and you've gone half a century with what have become established color schemes, you don't need black. (And double "bad-move" points top the Eagles for pairing black jerseys with dark green helmets. WTF?)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Someday the Calgary Flames will remember that their colours are red, gold and white...

Don't you mean red, yellow, and white??

^_^

No, I don't actually.

I like a little bit of black in the Flames sweaters. All red and gold is a little muddy. The black helps. Now the Mets, they have enough natural contrast between blue and orange that the black makes it muddy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

the other day at my town's high school football game, the marching band came out at half time and had basically all black with barely any blue or silver; our school colors. glad its only the band. and i was at modellslast month getting a giants jersey and i saw a jets jersey. it looked like their white uniform with green on the sides except it wasnt white. it was all black. i hope thats a fashion jesey

ny_mets.jpg

the other day at my town's high school football game, the marching band came out at half time and had basically all black with barely any blue or silver; our school colors. glad its only the band.

Band fashion trends run nationwide, apparently. My old high school colors were kelly green and yellow, which became forest green and metallic gold. Now the band is wearing solid black uniforms with only a bit of forest green trim.

:wacko:

the other day at my town's high school football game, the marching band came out at half time and had basically all black with barely any blue or silver; our school colors. glad its only the band.

Band fashion trends run nationwide, apparently. My old high school colors were kelly green and yellow, which became forest green and metallic gold. Now the band is wearing solid black uniforms with only a bit of forest green trim.

:wacko:

Well that makes sense, because in marching band, black pants hide errors in the drill.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived