Kings sports name.

pittfan11

They are not owned by the same people.

It's a coincidence, I guess. The LA Kings had purple as part of their scheme from their inception throughout the 1970s and part of the 80s before going to straight silver and black in the Gretzky years. In the late 90s they went to the current purple black.

The Sacto Kings moved from Cincinatti (where they were the Royals) to KC (where they changed to the Kings because of the MLB team) and when they got to Sacramento in the mid-80s they were red-white-and blue. Then they went to the current black/purple look.

So, i'm saying its a coincidence that they both did it, and because purple was very trendy in the late 90s, as was (and is still) black.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

Just in case anybody was wondering why purple is the "royal color"...

In ancient times, purple dye could only be obtained from a certain type of mollusk shell. The mollusks happened to be somewhat rare, expensive, and it took a few thosand mollusks to have enough dye for a garment, so only the nobility and extremely rich could have enough money to afford to wear purple. Those that could afford it then flaunted their purple as much as possible...ancient bling bling, and the kings were the rappers :D

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

it is the same reason why the Cardinals of Arizona and St. Louis both have the same colors i guess.

Well, not quite.

SaintLouisCardinals_FRC_2006_SOL.jpg

ArizonaCardinals_FRC_2005_SOL.jpg

I never understood why the Baseball Cardinals used Navy Blue, when actual cardinal birds are Red and BLACK...

it is the same reason why the Cardinals of Arizona and St. Louis both have the same colors i guess.

Well, not quite.

SaintLouisCardinals_FRC_2006_SOL.jpg

ArizonaCardinals_FRC_2005_SOL.jpg

I never understood why the Baseball Cardinals used Navy Blue, when actual cardinal birds are Red and BLACK...

i think it's a rule that states that all MLB teams are required to wear red, white, and blue. :)

The Sacto Kings moved from Cincinatti (where they were the Royals) to KC (where they changed to the Kings because of the MLB team) and when they got to Sacramento in the mid-80s they were red-white-and blue. Then they went to the current black/purple look.

They were the Rochester Royals before they moved to Cincinnati to become the Cincinnati Royals. At first, they just wore royal blue and white in Cincinnati.

Also, they were the Kansas City-Omaha Kings at one point.

Here's a fun fact along the lines of "the Utah Jazz have always been derivative":

The Kings once ripped off the LA Lakers colors

Then they ripped off the LA Raiders colors

Now they rip off the SacKings colors

hm

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Kings didn't exactly rip off the Lakers colors - remember, the Lakers colors were navy blue/columbia blue/white when they moved to Los Angeles.

I'm not sure of when he became the Lakers owner, but Jack Kent Cooke owned them at the same time he was awarded the Kings as an expansion franchise, so it makes sense he would put both of his teams in the same colors. He also owned their arena, the LA Forum, at that time.

When the NFL put in a rule that their owners could not own other sports franchises back in the 70s or early 80s (and since rescinded), Cooke decided he would rather keep his other team, the Redskins, and sold off the Lakers, Kings and the Fourm to Jerry Buss(sp?).

When Buss decided to sell of the Kings, McNall put them in Raiders colors. Considering how much the Sac Kings and the Lakers dislike each other, I'm sure the current owners brought back the purple (added to the silver and black) as a tie to the "old days" instead of a direct rip on the Sac Kings.

I'm not sure of when he became the Lakers owner, but Jack Kent Cooke owned them at the same time he was awarded the Kings as an expansion franchise, so it makes sense he would put both of his teams in the same colors.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't one of the Lakers/Kings owners (not sure if it was Cooke or Buss) insist on calling the purple "Forum Blue"? Pantone?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If I'm not mistaken, didn't one of the Lakers/Kings owners (not sure if it was Cooke or Buss) insist on calling the purple "Forum Blue"? Pantone?

Yeah...from what I've been able to research, the Lakers switched from Royal Blue, Columbia Blue, and White after the 1966-1967 season to Forum Blue, Gold, and White. "Forum Blue" was actualy Purple, and the Kings did this as well. For the 1980-1981 season, the Lakers started calling it "Royal Purple".

Did the baseball Cardinals ever use black, like back in the early Musial days, or are my eyes just playing tricks on me in some not so well lit photos. Does your database go back that far, Pantone?

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Archived