MLB 05-06 Hot Stove Thread

KennyRock

I think it's them expecting a trade for Manny Ramirez to go down between themselves and the Red Sox. Them and Burnitz had agreed to a deal, kind of strange that he's going elsewhere all of a sudden when he was expected to play LF, which is obviously what Manny plays.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is starting to get interesting.. I smell something brewing between the Orioles and Red Sox..

The Pirates are close to a deal with Burnitz.  Burnitz was going to sign with Baltimore and was expected to be the opening day LF.

Pirates near deal with outfielder Burnitz

Contract could be richest for free agent in franchise history

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates are close to a deal to sign free-agent outfielder Jeromy Burnitz. The sides have agreed to most aspects of a contract, a source close to the negotiations said yesterday, but some details remain, including Burnitz passing a physical. It is not known precisely what the other details are, but the source said they were not likely to prevent an agreement, which could be achieved in the next day or two.

This poses a few questions

What happened to the "Done" deal with the O's last week?

What does this mean in the sense of a possible big time trade?

Where does this leave Sammy Sosa who was reported to be close to a deal with the Buccos?

:therock: Hmmmm.....

Sosa can (and should) play in Left. He hasn't, but his skills are greatly diminished in the field (if they were ever there in the first place) With Burnetz and Sosa, the Buccos would gain some power, alot of K's, and pretty much make the NL Central have the worst crop of outfielders in the Majors.

Look at this:

Cubs:

Pierre

Jones

Patterson/Murton

Cardinals:

Edmonds

Bigbie/Rodriquez/Taguchi

Encarcion

Brewers

Lee

Jenkins

Clark

Reds (best of the bunch)

Willy Mo

Kearns

Griffey

Pirates

Burnitz

Sosa

Jason Bay

Wait, I would think Sosa and Burnitz couldn't be in the Outfield cause of Craig Wilson, who is a pretty solid player. Bah, I just typed all this out and I'm not erasing it.

Just heard on ESPN, that the Houston Astros and OF Preston Wilson have agreed on a 1-year deal.

That's not helping...

What? The Astors signing Wilson or me reporting it?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Blue Jays seeking to trade Corey Koskie back to Twins:

StarTribune

Didn't someone say I was full of it back in October for suggesting that? :P

I don't recall that. I do recall saying the idea of trading Morneau for Koskie was ridiculous. If that's what you're referring to.

fair enough :) I would prefer we keep Koskie to platoon at DH with Shea Hillenbrand (how's that for a platoon?) but I also understand that $6 mil is a lot to pay for a platoon player.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Just heard on ESPN, that the Houston Astros and OF Preston Wilson have agreed on a 1-year deal.

That's not helping...

What? The Astors signing Wilson or me reporting it?

The Astros signing Wilson; I was just talking about how bad the defensive outfield(s) of the NL Central were...then Preston Wilson signs with the 'stros.

Phillies sign SP Ryan Franklin. He is expected to be the 4th starter and add depth to the rotation. I am not going to be a typical "Nega-delphian" about this move. I know his history in Seattle was poor, but I will reserve judgment to see if a change of scenery and pitching coached helps him out at all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Phillies sign SP Ryan Franklin. He is expected to be the 4th starter and add depth to the rotation. I am not going to be a typical "Nega-delphian" about this move. I know his history in Seattle was poor, but I will reserve judgment to see if a change of scenery and pitching coached helps him out at all.

Not to rain on your parade, but how many pitchers would be more comfortable in the Philadelphia bandbox than in the spacious Seattle ballpark? I suppose that the dimensions of the Phillies' park are an issue no matter who they sign. Is it true that the club is moving out the fences for 2006?

I'm hearing rumors on local radio that the Padres are close to signing Jose Lima and Shawn Estes. Apparently one or both of those have been signed upon condition of their physicals.

With Peavy, Williams, Park, Young, Stauffer, Brazelton, Hensley, Estes and Lima (and I hear they're still talking with Boston about acquiring Wells) I think it could get interesting in the rotation this spring. We could have a different pitcher start each ST game this year.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Not to rain on your parade, but how many pitchers would be more comfortable in the Philadelphia bandbox than in the spacious Seattle ballpark? I suppose that the dimensions of the Phillies' park are an issue no matter who they sign. Is it true that the club is moving out the fences for 2006?

I know, he is not the best fit for the ballpark at all, that would be Wade Miller. I just figure Seattle stunk so bad the last few years that maybe getting into a more competitive environment might help him. I figure Gillick was his Gm in Seattle and maybe he knows something about him. Just trying to stay positive :) .

I know left handed pitchers don't want to come here, at least not until they see how the new dimensions play. As far as the dimensions go, yes they did move the left field wall back 5 feet and raised the height of the wall. Link to Phillies.com wall article

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

In Miami on personal business, Manny Ramirez told ESPN Deportes that: "There will be no trade, I'm staying in Boston, where I'm familiar with the system and where I have a lot of friends, especially David Ortiz,"

An official translation. "I know the American League system. That's one reason I don't want to go to the National League," he said. "I also want to play for a contender, and I think with Boston I'm assured of that." Ramirez may change his mind tomorrow or the day after, but that he's content today would seem to suggest that no trade is going to happen. Jan. 5 - 9:30 pm et

I figured the Phillies would take those flower beds out to adjust the fences, but it isn't enough IMO. That's still going to be a homer haven.

1997 | 2003

The Blue Jays just trade Corey Koskie to the Brewers for a minor league pitcher. WTF they doing dont get rid of him, get rid of Hinske and put Koskie on DH, man they did the rong thing.. *shakes head*

4kv29i.jpg

The Blue Jays just trade Corey Koskie to the Brewers for a minor league pitcher. WTF they doing dont get rid of him, get rid of Hinske and put Koskie on DH, man they did the rong thing.. *shakes head*

Silly poster... as much as it would've been great to dump hinske, the truth is nobody wanted him. We're stuck with him.

Jays gain $6 mil with the trade, I'll evaluate this trade after all their off-season signings are complete.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived