MLB 05-06 Hot Stove Thread

KennyRock

Okay, as some(prolly very few) know, the baseball offseason is my second favorite part of the year, right after the baseball regular season. :P

I also like this time of the year, cause I get to follow the Isles, Hornets and Jets(well, that's not so great this year) at the same time, and there's a lot going on with NY/NJ sports overall. Three sports in their seasons cooupled with, in my mind, the best offseason, period. So, I figured I'd make a thread to keep track of everything with GM meetings around the corner. I'm sure any major signings will get new threads, but eh, what can ya do?

Here's some stuff off the rumor mill:

Brian Giles, San Diego Padres

- Pads recently offered Giles a three year deal, but they rescinded their offer right after the World Series ended. he had made it clear that he wants to sign with a team that will be a postseason contender for the majority of a new contract.

- Interested teams: Yankees, Cardinals, Mariners, Indians and Red Sox.

- Personally, I thought he was a lock to return to San Diego, but I'm starting to believe he's destined for elsewhere. I would not count on the Mariners. They spent some big bucks on offense last year, and while I know they need more cause of Beltre's bad year, the team needs to come to grips with the fact that the starting staff that was good in 2003 isn't going to rebound after two years of average overall work and get them back into the playoffs. I count out the Yankees too - Giles is extremely versatile, but he only fits if the Yankees move Matsui to center, and I NEED to see that happen first before I talk of Giles as a Yankee. Red Sox won't move on him until Damon's and Ramirez's futures are decided, and that might be too late. I honestly think he fits perfect with the Cardinals, and that's my pick for where he'll be.

Matt Morris, St. Louis Cardinals

- His suitors aren't very impressive, with the Royals, Rockies and Mariners as the ones interested.

- If you know Morris, you could see Colorado not going so well. Since the Cards don't seem terribly interested in him returning, I hope he does the smart thing and goes to Seattle, that's my pick, I don't care if KC's considered the front runner, that'd be a tough call for him to make if he wants to win.

Milton Bradley, Los Angeles Dodgers

- His lone suitor at the moment? The Yanks, who are considering tading for him.

- Normally, I'd shoot that down, but seeing as the Yanks are considering giving the job to Bubba Crosby and using their money elsewhere, I won't dismiss anything. However, I believe the Dodgers will offer him a contract to return, and I think he'll accept.

Ramon Hernandez, San Diego Padres

- Suitors at the moment are the Mets and D-Backs.

- Everyone is saying the Mets are going for Molina, and I can see that. But it sounds like Hernandez can be had for 6 or 7 million a year, and I have a feeling that Molina, coming off his best year ever, will command more than that. Then again, the Mets have already reached out to Molina. My prediction? Forget the D-Backs, I see Hernandez in Houston to replace Brad Ausmus, whom the Astros don't seem to want back.

Bill Mueller, Red Sox

- The Twins are the main suitors.

- This was part of a possible trade discussed multiple teams during the year. I honestly believe this'll be pretty straightforward, and Mueller will be in Minnesota next year.

B.J. Ryan, Orioles

- Just the Yanks interested for now.

- You can forget center field. I think, for once, the Yankees realize that as important as having a set center fielder is, stabilizing the bullpen is priority number one now that they won't be adding more starters this year. I think Ryan is going to be a Yankee, and he'll be closing in a few years when Mariano retires.

I'll post more as they come up. Would anyone like the full free agent list posted here?

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you dont mind, sure. post the free agents. no thanks to espn, they had to make the hot stove reports part of the INSIDER which i'm not paying to read. i can see the players, but not the teams interested, only "insiders" get to see that. any notables that the cubs are interested in? or any cubs that may be on their way out?

quinn_samardzija_sig.jpg

From what I've heard, The cardinals have not given up on Morris. I can see it going either way, and honestly its up to him. If he wants to bank (I can't blame him) he won't be in a Cardinals Uniform. But if he wants to finish his career with the club, I think he certainly will be in St. Louis

As far as Giles is concerned, if he turned down 7 mil a year, I can't see the Cardinals signing him, unless he takes a paycut to be on a "contender". They aren't going to be able to spend that much in reality. Plus someone's going to offer it to him (Yankees) and they will over pay for him just like JD Drew, Adrian Beltre, Carlos Beltran, and the rest from last year. Quite a few of the Cardinals' star salaries go up this year. And management always gives Jocketty between 90-95 mil to work with.

Jaques Jones is someone that has been rumored to come to St. Louis. As well as Kevin Milwood (like every year) and Brandon Looper. Other outfielders? Austin Kearns, Adam Dunn, Steve Finley and Darian Ersted. If Dunn is signed, I can't see them bringing Sanders back. That'd be about 1000 strike outs in the outfield with Dunn, Sanders and Edmonds. Alot of power though. Personally I'd love to see Edmonds/Giles/Kearns in the outfield. We'll see...

They may also trade Marquis for an outfielder or relief pitching and Ray King will likely be traded for relief pitching as they are in danger of losing King, Eldred, Tavarez, and the elder Reyes.

Should be an interesting offseason without many big names, but alot of key moves being made.

I guess what has me so convinced Giles might be on his way out now is the three year deal the Padres offered in October and rescinded after the World Series. When things like that happen, the end result isn't usually a good one for the two parties involved. I think, and I can easily be wrong, that Bengie Molina will garner one of the bigger contracts. That's not to say that Giles won't be overpaid, but looking at the teams most likely to land him, I rank St. Louis 1, Cleveland 2 and San Diego 3. Of course, he has said he'd prefer to play with his brother in Atlanta, then turned around and wondered if the Padres could bring Marcus to San Diego. What I do believe is, that if he wants to be on a contender, his best bet is St. Louis. The Yankees only become a good fit if Matsui moves to center, and I absolutely need them to first of all sign a new deal with Matsui AND announce he's moving to center before I'd even entertain that.

As for Morris, and definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't feel like the Cards are as high on him as they were even a year ago. I'm sure he would embrace returning, it'd be easy to understand why. If is he really only looking at Colorado, KC and Seattle, I'm standing by the smartest(and that's a VERY relative smartest) choice is Seattle, if he even wants to think of more chances in the playoffs before he retires.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

I really hope the cardinals find a way to bring back Matty Mo. He was strong this year and he's a genuinely likeable guy. Im up in the air on Sanders, part of me wants to bring him back but the other half says get someone younger. Giles is intriguing but the other candidates don't catch my as being much of an improvement over sanders. Possibly Jaques Jones but it seems like he's gonna be the franchise guy in minnesota. It will be interesting to say the least.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Jim Thome,

David Bell,

and one of Pat Burrell or Bobby Abreu are being shopped by the Phillies.

Take your pick.

Please.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sweet, the Jays still getting ignored :D So I'll update y'all with the happenings of baseballs forgotten team (best non-new york/boston team in the AL East 7 of the last 8 seasons!).

A.J. Burnett was spotted at a Raptors game with Roy Halladay the other day.

B.J. Ryan (who apparently only the Yanks are interested in) is supposed to be in Toronto touring the city.

Brian Giles and Mike Piazza are both supposedly very interested in coming to Toronto.

On the trade wire...

The Marlins are apparently making Delgado available, I would imagine the Jays are interested in bringing him back.

The Twins supposedly called looking to re-aquire Corey Koskie, sources say they were offering Justin Morneau (in a heartbeat!)

I've also heard the Jays kept inquiring to the Red Sox about Manny Ramirez, but I have my doubts about the BoSox trading him to another team in their division.

And before you say "how in the hell can Toronto afford all these guys?!", well our payroll is being (practically) doubled from 2005 to 2006, so we's gots some cash now!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I would be shocked if Toronto aquired any of those guys you just listed, but good luck anyways.

Just curious, but how did we come up with the term "hot stove"?? Just seems odd to me, but so is the sport of baseball itself.

6uXNWAo.png

I would be shocked if Toronto aquired any of those guys you just listed, but good luck anyways.

Admit it, you're more shocked to find out Toronto has a team

But in all seriousness, we are the leading candidate to land Burnett... most sites agree with my claim. hey, i found one :)MLB Rumors (links to all teams are on the side)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The Blue Jays should use that money to buy new uniforms, but I wouldn't be surprised if they signed A.J. Burnett and 1 or 2 other names to help out that team. They still won't win the east, but wild card...eh. Tough AL next year.

Manny Ramirez to Cleveland...again? Or is he destined for Anaheim? The Cubs aren't seriously entertaining big names, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Kevin Milwood and Juan Pierre be wearing cubby blue come ST....Jim Thome I expect will DH next year....I haven't heard much else.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Furcal to the Cubs. Nomar to Leftfield or out of Chicago. I'm betting they will ignore bullpen like they do every year when its by far the thing they need the most.

That's what I'm thinking.

Chris that's the site I get most my info from. Seems to be a slight bit more reliable than most. Of coruse that makes it right like 55/45 instead of 50/50.

Just curious, but how did we come up with the term "hot stove"?? Just seems odd to me, but so is the sport of baseball itself.

Because in the cold winters people huddle for warmth around a hot stove.

Baseball goings-on during the winter months are called "hot stove" meetings.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Just curious, but how did we come up with the term "hot stove"??  Just seems odd to me, but so is the sport of baseball itself.

Because in the cold winters people huddle for warmth around a hot stove.

Baseball goings-on during the winter months are called "hot stove" meetings.

Oh, I thought there was a lot of hoppin' and poppin' and sizzlin', like a teapot on a hot stove

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Twins supposedly called looking to re-aquire Corey Koskie, sources say they were offering Justin Morneau (in a heartbeat!)

Oh HELL no. Trust me, I like koskie as a person, but Morneau has tremendous upside. He'll learn a lot after this year, he will be a monster some day.

And this could be the year that Jacque Jones leaves. :down: He has been rumored to get traded what seems to be about the last 4 years, but has held on. I wanna see him back, but I doubt that will happen.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Some Orioles rumors I have heard:

The O's may move (or trade) Javy Lopez to 1B and sign Ramon Hernandez.

Leo Mazzone will get Kevin Millwood to sign with the O's.

Matt Morris has been projected to sign with us.

Now this one is going to sound like crap, but someone with high respect on a board I visit says it may be a possibility. The O's will make a trade for hometown Mark Teixeira involving Erik Bedard.

From today's Boston Herald:

- Paul Konerko. One exec insists he's staying with the White Sox, maybe for 4 years at $12m per. Another exec thinks Konerko could wind up in Anaheim.

- Rafael Furcal will listen to a big sales pitch from the Cubs, but there are people who think in the end he'll stick with Atlanta.

- Billy Wagner at the moment looks like a contest between the Mets and Phillies, though you'd have to think the Red Sox would still be a mighty attractive alternative.

- B.J. Ryan? He could be this year's object of a Red Sox-Yankees war.

- Johnny Damon? Yankees will try to trade for Torii Hunter, with Milton Bradley a fallback plan. Cubs won't go after Damon, at least for not what they believe his price to be, so the question becomes the two Cali teams. A lot of scouts like the Sox chances of keeping JD.

- A.J. Burnett looks like he's leaning strongly toward Toronto ... Roy Halladay did a great sales job on him during his visit last week, and the Jays would probably overpay.

- Jarrod Washburn? Keep an eye on Milwaukee.

- Kevin Millwood could be headed to Texas.

The Cubs aren't seriously entertaining big names, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Kevin Milwood and Juan Pierre be wearing cubby blue come ST....

Considering the Cubs rid themselves of their share of Sosa's salary for this year (which they were paying a big chunk in '05), likely won't have Nomar back ($7 mil), didn't pick up Burnitz' option (and so obviously have money to spend); and have gaping holes at all three OF positions (their best bet back is Murton), the middle IF (Cedeno at 2B? and Walker was retained to likely be trade-bait), and the pen ('cause that's a mess), or a 5th starter, they sure as heck better either spend on free agents, or acquire big names via trade...

Moose

Archived