MLB 05-06 Hot Stove Thread

KennyRock

A Manny/Abreu (plus other players thrown in there) deal is reportedly 99% done. I'll have more info coming.

I've found nothing about this, outside of week-old rumors. Whaddya got?

Look on PhilliesPhans.com and SonsOfSamHorn.net. A bunch of talk and sources.

Yeah, very reputable sources. <_<

If it's on a message board, it must be true.

*EDIT* THIS JUST IN

Phillies to send 3b David Bell, RF Bobby Abreu, and prospect Gavin Floyd to Yankees for 3b Alex Rodriguez, P Randy Johnson, and the legacy of RF/P Babe Ruth. To make the deal fair, the Yankees will be signing over two of their world championships. The Phillies will have a ceremony on opening day to unveil their 1996 and 1998 World Series banners.

*EDIT 2*

I'll (gladly) take a week long ban if this actually happens.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Manny/Abreu (plus other players thrown in there) deal is reportedly 99% done. I'll have more info coming.

I was gonna let it die. But since you mention it, I wasn't particularly impressed w/ the sources, either. :D

I was gonna let it die. But since you mention it, I wasn't particularly impressed w/ the sources, either. :D

Yeah, yeah. I know what it looks like. But these places are the first places I've heard every single major trade in the past five years, long before they're announced. And I wouldn't bother posting it on here if it was just a rumor. Give me a little credit here.

*EDIT* THIS JUST IN

Phillies to send 3b David Bell, RF Bobby Abreu, and prospect Gavin Floyd to Yankees for 3b Alex Rodriguez, P Randy Johnson, and the legacy of RF/P Babe Ruth. To make the deal fair, the Yankees will be signing over two of their world championships. The Phillies will have a ceremony on opening day to unveil their 1996 and 1998 World Series banners.

In addition, the Phillies are requiring that the legacy of Babe Ruth wear David Bell's former #25, and to play 3rd for the team. Ruth's legacy is reported to be agreeable, seeing as how the ghost of the Bambino has more range than David Bell, and a less sore back.

In a related story, the legacy of Lou Gehrig has been thrown in to complete the Abreu/Bell/Floyd deal to the Yankees. David Bell's vacated #4 will be adopted by the Iron Horse, known worldwide as "The Pride of the Fightin' Phils".

POST THAT ON YER MESSAGE BOARDS!!! :P:D:lol:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Fox Sports website taken from one of the Chicago Papers had a rumor that the Cubs are starting to go after Barry Zito.

Hey, thanks for the link - especially since I can't find anything on FoxSports.com, the Chicago Sun Times Sports Section, the Chicago Tribune Sports Section or on ChicagoSports.com...

Moose

I got this from SI.com:

The Cubs will still entertain trade possibilities before pitchers and catchers report to spring training on Feb. 15. There are rumors the Cubs are interested in Oakland pitcher Barry Zito. -- Daily Southtown

LINK

6uXNWAo.png

The Angels have decided to shift Darin Erstad to center, which will result into possibly platooning Chone Figgins and Dallas McPherson at 3rd, and giving the starting 1B role to either Casey Kotchman or a free agent left to be signed.

LINK

VmWIn6B.png

Fox Sports website taken from one of the Chicago Papers had a rumor that the Cubs are starting to go after Barry Zito.

Hey, thanks for the link - especially since I can't find anything on FoxSports.com, the Chicago Sun Times Sports Section, the Chicago Tribune Sports Section or on ChicagoSports.com...

Moose

I got this from SI.com:

The Cubs will still entertain trade possibilities before pitchers and catchers report to spring training on Feb. 15. There are rumors the Cubs are interested in Oakland pitcher Barry Zito. -- Daily Southtown

LINK

Here's the full story from the Daily Southtown... Can't say as I've read it much, and no other source (besides SI.com) has picked this up.

I don't know who the Cubs would give up in exchange for Zito - the most likely expendable Cubs players (outside prospects) are middle infielders (Walker, Hairston, Cedeno), and last I looked, I tought the A's were relativly happy there (Crosby, Scutaro) ... Am I missing something (not that I'd be complaining if the Cubbies acquired Zito)?

Moose

[Manager Sam] Perlozzo believes [Kris] Benson has a decent shot of seizing the No. 1 spot in a rotation that tentatively includes Rodrigo Lopez, Erik Bedard, Daniel Cabrera and Bruce Chen.

I'm not the manager and I could have easily said some stupid :censored: like that. No wonder this team has embraced futility for the last 10 years.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

[Manager Sam] Perlozzo believes [Kris] Benson has a decent shot of seizing the No. 1 spot in a rotation that tentatively includes Rodrigo Lopez, Erik Bedard, Daniel Cabrera and Bruce Chen.

I'm not the manager and I could have easily said some stupid :censored: like that. No wonder this team has embraced futility for the last 10 years.

I'm not so sure he has as good a chance at #1 as you think. Bedard and Cabrera are very good and stand a good chance of being ahead of him in the rotation. Rodrigo has shown some flashes of greatness. Chen was a very pleasent surprise last season, but I doubt he repeats. Benson is not as good as you may think. He may have a bit of trouble starting out in the AL (especially in a hitter park). Don't get me wrong I still think it was a great trade. I'm really excited to see what Mazzone can do with the staff. I think the O's may surprise some people this season. No playoffs, but hopefully we can finish over .500 for the first time since '97.

My prediction for the O's rotation next year

1-Lopez

2-Benson

3-Bedard

4-Chen

5-Cabrera

CL-Chris Ray

I doubt Cabrera is the fifth starter. He may be our best pitcher (I would say Bedard but he has had alot of injuries). My prediction would be:

1-Bedard

2-Cabrera

3-Benson

4-Lopez

5-Chen

Chris Ray is most definitley going to be the closer now that Julio is gone.

EDIT: Rumors from an O's message board is that Benson has opened the door for another trade for a big bat, possibly Bedard.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...rticleid=122417

Sox reach deal for CF Crisp

By Tony Massarotti

Boston Herald Baseball Columnist and General Sports Columnist

Sunday, January 22, 2006

The Red Sox will send a package including reliever Guillermo Mota and prospect Andy Marte to the Indians. The inclusion of Mota in the deal explains why the Sox signed free agent reliever Julian Tavarez to a two-year contract despite having a bullpen that already included Keith Foulke, Mike Timlin, Mota, Rudy Seanez and, perhaps, Jonathan Papelbon.

Beyond the acquisition of Crisp, the Sox also are about to sign free agent Gonzalez. The 28-year-old former Florida Marlins shortstop, is a free-swinging, career .264 hitter with little power, but he is regarded as a very good defensive player. He will likely bat ninth in a revamped Sox lineup that should feature much-improved infield defense.

I really don't know about this Lowell. If memory serves, Lowell is getting pretty old and will need a replacement in a few years. I think that Mota might have a better season than Tavarez, but by-god his name is Coco. That settles it for me! :P

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived