90s sports apparel/fashion

DGivens87

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the 90's were really "flashy", for lack of a better word.

flashy logos, colors, etc...

what does everyone think was the best logo upgrade in the 90's? Im gonna have to take the sonics from this

SeattleSuperSonicsOld.png

to this...

seattle_supersonics_logo.serendipityThumb.jpg

That might be the worst change. That old Sonics logo rocks.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I always mention it in this type of thread, so I must make mention of it again :D i know yall remember the black fashion jerseys...shoot, I recall for a brief period, some store around here was selling vegas gold jerseys of various teams (Bulls, Pistons, Spurs IIRC)

shoot, I remember in 99 Puma had these fashion jerseys out with sublimated yokes (seemingly randomly-repeated team logos), I meant to get me a Falcons one but I didn't walk around with much cash back then <_<

other thing I remember very well, was the reversible jerseys...started with home/away reverses, then home/fashion, and at least as far as basketball goes, I even remember reverses involving players from different teams (i.e. AI on one side, Kobe on the other).

and there's a little trend that seemed to take off in the mid 90s...in 1990 i never saw anybody wear sandals away from beaches. 15 years later, who doesn't own adidas sandals?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I always mention it in this type of thread, so I must make mention of it again :D i know yall remember the black fashion jerseys...shoot, I recall for a brief period, some store around here was selling vegas gold jerseys of various teams (Bulls, Pistons, Spurs IIRC)

shoot, I remember in 99 Puma had these fashion jerseys out with sublimated yokes (seemingly randomly-repeated team logos), I meant to get me a Falcons one but I didn't walk around with much cash back then <_<

other thing I remember very well, was the reversible jerseys...started with home/away reverses, then home/fashion, and at least as far as basketball goes, I even remember reverses involving players from different teams (i.e. AI on one side, Kobe on the other).

and there's a little trend that seemed to take off in the mid 90s...in 1990 i never saw anybody wear sandals away from beaches. 15 years later, who doesn't own adidas sandals?

yah, i remember that, i had a reversible sonics jersey white/green. i forgot which one i liked more, i think white...

I had an Apex one Phoenix Suns jacket, the style with the team colored "spikes" down the arm.

My most favorite was a black Buffalo Sabres Starter jacket. The old logo, i believe it is the jacket from the last year the Sabres had that logo. I love that jacket.

what a coincidence, as I type this ebod just posted.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

The coolest thing for me, was to see what teams were being worn. It seemed like the competition in middle school was to find the most random team's Starter jacket because it was so hard to find anything but the local teams.

I myself had a Patriots Starter jacket in 1994 (bought it in Foxboro), and was the only kid at my school in Denver who sported the Pats...I wore the crap out of that jacket.

I remember the Apex spikes jacket - Notre Dame's was pretty cool because it was all navy (instead of the default black) with gold spikes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I had a St. Louis Cardinals starter jacket in elemetary school...

Then in Jr. High I got a Suns jacket. It was purple with the old style "Phoenix" across the front in orange.

Then in 92 I got the new Suns jacket when they changed their logo. Black with SUNS in purple across the front. I thought it was cool because I had a black starter jacket...like the gangstas.

I had a Detroit Lions starter jacket. One of the pullover ones with the stripes on the sides kinda. It looked like this, except obviously the Lions.

wpe20265.gif

I also had many champion basketball jerseys. Two Thunder Dans, a Barkley, Mashburn Mavs, Mourning Heat, Hardaway Warriors, and a Kevin Johnson.

ZoDogg- that's one good looking sig you've got there. Not quite Thunder Dan-good, but good. '93 Suns were incredible.

I still own a reversible NBA jersey. It's a Penny Hardaway Magic. It has the road black and the blue alt. I bought it because it was the only Magic replica I ever saw that actually had pinstripes.

I remember seeing lots of unusual Starter (and other brand) team jackets around my high school (I grew up in Connecticut) such as the Bengals, the Browns, Chargers, the Oilers, Bucco Bruce Buccanners, Washington State, plus I once saw one of my classmates wearing a green 80's style satin Devils jacket (this was around '95 or '96).

IndianapolisSpeedsters.png

I had (and still have somewhere, if I recall) one of those "shark-tooth" hats, of none other than the Quebec Nordiques. Now I have to go home and dig that one out!

And, though not technically of a sports team, I had a gaudy Adidas "Cambrdige Crew" shirt with oversized logos all over it that I saw Jim McMahon wearing in a Rolling Stone ad. I guess that would be more of an '80's item....sorry if I got off topic a bit.

Speaking of sweatshirts, does anyone remember those sweatshirts that like spelled out the team name not only across the upper part of the chest, but extended onto the upper sleeves?

If I could find a pic, I'd post it, but do you guys remember those? I had one where it said "PATRIOTS" and the P was on the top part of my right sleeve and the S was on the top part of my left sleeve.

Speaking of sweatshirts, does anyone remember those sweatshirts that like spelled out the team name not only across the upper part of the chest, but extended onto the upper sleeves?

If I could find a pic, I'd post it, but do you guys remember those? I had one where it said "PATRIOTS" and the P was on the top part of my right sleeve and the S was on the top part of my left sleeve.

I remember those. HUGE letters. Logo beneath it...obnoxious as all hell. :D

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I remember those. HUGE letters. Logo beneath it...obnoxious as all hell. :D

yep, that's them

I had a Detroit Lions starter jacket. One of the pullover ones with the stripes on the sides kinda. It looked like this, except obviously the Lions.

wpe20265.gif

I also had many champion basketball jerseys. Two Thunder Dans, a Barkley, Mashburn Mavs, Mourning Heat, Hardaway Warriors, and a Kevin Johnson.

ZoDogg- that's one good looking sig you've got there. Not quite Thunder Dan-good, but good. '93 Suns were incredible.

you might want to clean those stains off your carpet.

I see Moser mentioned my team.... The Lightning. Living in the suburbs of Buffalo when Starter jackets were all the rage, you saw a plethora of Bills jackets, a couple of the Sabres ones that wilson mentioned, and various other teams. Someone mentioned the competition to be unique, and we were no exception. No one else in my area had a Lightning jacket, so I got the unique crown for a time (along with a lot of jeers for liking such a crappy team (back then!)). I still have it. It got a little small for me, so I got the next best thing... the next bigger size on Ebay!

lightning_starter_jacket.jpg

I juist remember (and this is more late 80's early 90's) are the Sports Specialties hats that were were wool with one solid base color and then had the City name in arial font small and then the team name was stitched in corresponding team color on the front in a cursive "swing"font.

Those were the best. Last time they were used was the 1993 NBA draft.

and it looks they are making a comeback! Holy cow, just found this, please make a green bucks one!

http://www.hatshack.com/hatshack/product.a...AAIALCFMEMICBM&

Ha, between my roommate and I, we have 6 Champion Suns jerseys.

I dig me some 80's-90's Champion jerseys. They're mostly complete crap...but they bring back so many memories.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived