Team USA announced

jkrdevil

Ryan Miller should be there. Bah!

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

This team just has to tear the Olympics up...the best way to make hockey a true "top four" sport is by dominating this year. Trust me, this year is alot more critical than one would think.

They aren't winning a medal this time. The players are either to old or too young. 98 and 2002 were the U.S's best chanced at gold. 98 they were coming off the World Cup victory and blew it and embarressed the country by trashing their rooms. 2002 they came up just short and got silver.

This is a tansition Olympics which amazes me why they put guys like Chelios on the team. They needed to go younger and give guys experience for 2010. I understand having a few vets like Madano, however they needed to younger. The U.S. won the World Junoirs a few years ago so look for them to be a medal favorite in 2010 in Vancouver.

Say, who are the favorites this year anyway? I don't think it's someone generic, like Canada or Russia. Or maybe it is.

Well, Canada is the defending champions from 2002 and they also won the world cup before last year's cancelled season. Finland played them in the finals, so I would put them in the mix. And the Czechs are up their as well. The U.S. might get Bronze, but I think they will have to be lucky to get Silver and Gold.

Canada's goaltending is questionable, but they are still the heavy favourites, just because no one else has shown a sign of dominance in recent years.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Say, who are the favorites this year anyway? I don't think it's someone generic, like Canada or Russia. Or maybe it is.

Well, Canada is the defending champions from 2002 and they also won the world cup before last year's cancelled season. Finland played them in the finals, so I would put them in the mix. And the Czechs are up their as well. The U.S. might get Bronze, but I think they will have to be lucky to get Silver and Gold.

Yeah, if they win Gold at the 'lympics then it'll be in Miracle: 1980 style.

With that being said, if Jeremy Roenick gets a job doing some sort of analysis at the 'lympics, expect some U.S. bashing.

With that being said, if Jeremy Roenick gets a job doing some sort of analysis at the 'lympics, expect some U.S. bashing.

Well, no not a miracle. This isn't a bunch of college kids going up against an all-star pro team. If they win this year it will be a minor upset.

Well, no not a miracle. This isn't a bunch of college kids going up against an all-star pro team. If they win this year it will be a minor upset.

I understand that, but still, it's as if NOBODY thinks they can win.

I think they've got a shot.

Canada's goaltending is questionable, but they are still the heavy favourites, just because no one else has shown a sign of dominance in recent years.

I know who I'd put in net for Team Canada. Plus, then you'd have an experienced backup in Brodeur in case Luongo struggles.

Judging by the number of younger names that have earned their places on the team, and based on last year's WJHC team, I'm highly optimistic about the future of Canadian hockey, both in 2006 and on home ice in 2010.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

As much as I respect Roenick as a player, sometimes he really really needs to think before he speaks...if that's even possible.

With that said, this US team is gonna be hard pressed to medal, IMO.

Canada's the faves (I mean, jeez, guys like Eric Staal, Jason Spezza, and Sid Crosby are on the fluffing BUBBLE to make that team...if they were from the US, they'd be on the top or 2nd line without much of a problem)...the Czechs are gonna be good, as will the Russians and Finns. However, keep an eye on Sweden, especially if Tre Kronor go with Lundqvist as the #1 in the nets....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

After checking out the Team USA line-up, I'm really wondering what kind of damage this team can do. It's a really mixed bunch. I really wonder about Chelios. No offence to the guy, he's been a great defenceman, but man, he played for team USA in the early 80's here. I think they might be better served with a younger guy on the team.

Building a team can be difficult, since all year these men play against each other professionally. You have to get the right mix of talent, experience and leadership to have a winner. You want to include the guys who have made your country proud, but at the same time, you need to give experience to your younger players who will be the core of the team in years to come, and the players who are playing well enough to put up a fight and bring home some medals.

JR said a week or so ago that it would be a shame from them to leave guys like him, and Guerin and Tkachuk, guys who carried the US int he past off the team. yes, you want to respect those guys, but if they aren't playing that well, what real advantage comes from having them?

It's like for tema Canada. Do I respect Steve yzerman and Mario Lemuiex? of course I do. But should they be the first guys that Wayne signs up for the team? Steve and Mario are far from their prime, as much as it hurts to say, neither are playing well right now. Aside from locker room leadership, I wouldhave to argue that their spots would be better given to some other players so that they will be better suited in the future to help carry Canada. Steve and Mario caren't going to be on the next Olympic team, so it's a real spot. Thought with their injuries, it takes away the need to chose.

Relating to team USA, actually, as i take a second look at the roster, it isn't that bad. Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with some of the names. ALot just don't scream 'impact' to me, and of course I will eat crow if they have a big turnout. It is a good team, I think all it needs to be a great team is one guy who is hot, on a career tear to make it seem really strong. They just might turn some heads this year

I almost wish Roenick was on the team so he couldn't do TV this year. He was insufferable during the World Cup in 2004.

I suppose they think they need Chelios' "veteran leadership", but I was surprized to see them stick with him once more. Him not being on the team was a sign of the changing of the old guard I was keeping an eye out for.

All in all, I think a medal would be overachieving for this lineup.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived