Flutie converts first drop kick since 1941 champio

brinkeguthrie

In honor of his historic event, I proclaim the Dropkick Murphy's rename themselves the Dropkick Fluties in honor of this great man and this even more amazing play.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doug Flutie has now officially done everything a person could do in Football.

Okay, except win a Super Bowl, but that might be coming up.

I'm pretty sure he was with the bears when they won the Super Bowl...I could be wrong...it wouldn't be the first or last time.

I'm pretty sure he was with the bears when they won the Super Bowl...I could be wrong...it wouldn't be the first or last time.

Yup, he was on the 1986 Chicaco Bears Superbowl winning team. Oddly enough, they beat out New England for that win. It's funny, I don't like football, but here I am answering a football question.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

What's the big deal? And what's up with him jumping around like a little pre-teen girl afterwards? :mad:

The big deal?

No one's done it in an NFL game for over 60 years.

And Flutie's not a kicker. He's a quarterback.

So excuse him for acting all happy and stuff when the kick was successful.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

That man is an athlete. He's never failed to impress me with some of the stuff he's done. He can run, pass and kick. He's pretty good at basketball and golf. I've seen hm play goalie in a hockey game, and he was making acrobatic saves.

He also plays drums.

I was watching a Red Sox game last year on TV when Flutie caught TWO foul balls in the same game, so I guess you can add baseball to the list as well. :D

I heard next he's gonna fight Nikolai Valuev for the WBA title. :D

nav-logo.png

Yup, he was on the 1986 Chicaco Bears Superbowl winning team. Oddly enough, they beat out New England for that win. It's funny, I don't like football, but here I am answering a football question.

Not true. Although the Bears won the Super Bowl 1/26/1986, it was the 1985 season (Super Bowl XX). Flutie came along for the 1986 season (McMahon battled injuries all year, and Flutie played quite a bit as his back-up), and the Bears failed to repeat, being upset in the Divisional Playoffs by the Redskins 27-13...

Moose

Now I'm not 100% familiar with the rules for drop kicking, but is there any practical reason at all for it to be used in this era? The only thing I can think of is if you are the Eagles and your kicker goes down, and you have a linebacker kicking extra points. Maybe then it mighth be a valid alternative.

Also, when Jim McMahon was with the Eagles, he used to beg Rich Kotite to let him drop kick in games. Heard he did the same with Ditka in Chicago. Never happened (obviously.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Now I'm not 100% familiar with the rules for drop kicking, but is there any practical reason at all for it to be used in this era? The only thing I can think of is if you are the Eagles and your kicker goes down, and you have a linebacker kicking extra points. Maybe then it mighth be a valid alternative.

Also, when Jim McMahon was with the Eagles, he used to beg Rich Kotite to let him drop kick in games. Heard he did the same with Ditka in Chicago. Never happened (obviously.)

Well, drop kicking I believe (I wasn't around when it was common place) was used instead of place kicking and it was used a surprise. When they made the ball more pointy for throwing it made it harder to dropkick and thus place kicking took over and the dropkick died out untill yesterday.

I guess a use for it today would be if a team goes for 2 for the win and nothing is open so the QB dropkicks and gets 1 to tie.

I think you'll find Moose is right, Flutie was playing for the USFL?s New Jersey Generals when Chicago was winning the Super Bowl.

He went to Chicago the next season, then the Patriots the season after.

Damn you TSN, you have let me down for the last time with your stats and stuff!!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

What's the big deal? And what's up with him jumping around like a little pre-teen girl afterwards?  :mad:

The big deal?

Meh, can anyone answer this who isn't from New England?

Doug Flutie is the King. Period. And anybody who has a decent knowledge of football outside of New England would know that Doug Flutie ain't no kicker, and that this is the first time someone's dropkicked a ball for a score in decades.

What's the big deal? And what's up with him jumping around like a little pre-teen girl afterwards?  :mad:

The big deal?

Meh, can anyone answer this who isn't from New England?

Yes.

The big deal?

-Shane, Rock Hill, SC

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

1136156354_3116-1.jpg

Holy geez, Doug Flutie is RIPPED!

*wears Flutie Argos jersey with pride (as always)*

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The big deal?

Hey, hey, hey, ease up on the guy. I can understand the confusion regarding seeing someone actually having fun in the otherwise buttoned down NFL.

That "Chuck Norris random fact generator" should be changed to Doug Flutie.

Go ahead and start one:

http://projects.clarkrasmussen.com/people_...me/doug_flutie/

The best of the Doug Flutie "Chuck Norris Facts" list thus far... :D Some of you guys are a real scream.

Every time Bernie Kosar sees a replay of Doug Flutie's "Hail Mary" pass, he craps his pants uncontrolably for two days afterwards.

Doug Flutie can impregnate his wife from 70 yards away.

Doug Flutie is so awesome, Michael Vick's first alias was "Douglas Canada".

One time Doug Flutie dropped kicked in extra point in Edmonton. At the time he was in Vancouver.

Doug Flutie once threw a pass so perfect that his receiver cried for catching it.

Despite playing football in harsh conditions, Doug Fluite's uniform never needs washing.

Doug Flutie was once asked to come out of the stands to pinch hit for the Boston Red Sox. He proceeded to hit a 3-run home run over the Green Monster.

Doug Flutie secretly is a member of the Justice League of America.

Doug Flutie once turned water into Gatorade.

Doug Flutie is so clever that one time he scored on a TD run by hiding in his fullback's rear pocket.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

The big deal?

Hey, hey, hey, ease up on the guy. I can understand the confusion regarding seeing someone actually having fun in the otherwise buttoned down NFL.

I miss him in the CFL, but at least we had Garcis as a back up ready to take over when former Stampeder owner Ryckman screwed Flutie...

(And before Ryckman was charged with financial fraud for other business dealings)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived