Hall of Fame

gashouser27

The papers around here keep saying that in the wake of the steroid scandal, people need to re-examine Rice and Dawson's "all natural" numbers. Persoanally, I don't think you need a scandal to see all the numbers they racked up compared to others from the era. These two guys are HOFers.

This is one thing I have never understood. How can a player all of a sudden become HOF worthy. How do they go from not getting enough votes to getting enough. What changes? There retired 5+ years ago. There career and numbers stayed the same.

I still can't figure out why Jim Rice never gets the votes. A HOF member with comparable stats is Tony Perez, but Rice has more HR, and I think a higher BA. Plus, Rice did it in only 15 seasons, compared to Perez's 23.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

From ESPNEWS: Only Bruce Sutter was voted into the Hall Of Fame this year.

What hat is he going to wear?

I'm guessing the Cubs since that's where he played the most games as a major leaguer (300, as opposed to 249 for the Cards and much fewer in his 2 years with the Braves). Much as I'd love to see him go in as a Cardinal (where he won his only World Series), he didn't spend enough time in St. Louis.

From ESPNEWS: Only Bruce Sutter was voted into the Hall Of Fame this year.

What hat is he going to wear?

I'm guessing the Cubs since that's where he spent most of his career. Much as I'd love to see him go in as a Cardinal (where he won his only World Series), he didn't spend enough time in St. Louis.

Do the players still get to pick or is it up to the HOF? I remember hearing something about the HOF picking because of the chance of Boggs using the D-Rays hat.

Yeah the players used to choose but Boggs did the silly thing by agreeing to go in as a Devil Ray, so they overuled it.

I think Rice got overlooked again and I think Dawson did too really..I think this means the two of them and Gossage and Smith won't get in unless the veterans vote them in...The next few years are real strong..

And i think as time goes on Rice and Dawson will be hurt by the steroid era and the relievers will be hurt by inflated saves statistics

Even though they get to vote on up to ten i think most only vote for two or three..so somebody might finish fourth or fifth until a year like this when there are no consensus nominees..

Good going Bruce..I obviously hope he goes in as a Cardinal. He was instrumental to that 1983 season

I still can't figure out why Jim Rice never gets the votes. A HOF member with comparable stats is Tony Perez, but Rice has more HR, and I think a higher BA. Plus, Rice did it in only 15 seasons, compared to Perez's 23.

Didn't Jim Rice get beaten by Perez and company in the '75 WS?

That's probably why he isn't in....just another Bosox "snub". :P

sig1.gif

The Hall is fast becoming a joke. WALT WEISS received a vote this year. The constant lowering of the bar is a horrible thing, IMHO. I'm a huge Astros fan, and as much as I'd like to see Bagwell and Biggio get in, I'd rather them kept out if the likes of Sutter, Perez, Mazeroski, etc. could have been kept out.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

Well since he wasn't "media-friendly" when he was a player, the writers who vote probably looked at that as a hit against them and their profession and now they are wrong keeping a well worthy Hall-of-Famer out. The whole thing is a :censored:ing joke.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I think he should wear a Braves hat, cause thats the team I like the most.

You know what? I like the very selective process of the Baseball HoF. Look at the NFL... everyone you ever heard of, who isnt playing anymore (plus Deion Sanders) are in the Hall of Fame. It dilutes it incredibly. It cheapens it.

Myself, I'd rather keep a couple worthy guys out than to let some unworthys in.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I think its a joke that Sutter got in but Blyleven didn't. Blyleven is 5th alltime in strikeouts. I could see why Rice and Dawson didn't get in they have impressive numbers, but borderline HOF. Personally I don't think closers really deserve to be in the hall of fame. All they really have to do is pitch one or two innings while their team is already ahead.

Archived