M & F Differences in Unis at Colleges

kmw_29

Before the recent genderless change, Syracuse's women's teams were called the Orangewomen.

The St. Peter's women's teams are called the Peahens, which I believe is the correct zoological term for female Peacocks.

Offhand, I would imagine that the Centenary women's teams have a different name, as the men's teams are called the Gents (short for Gentlemen).

I guess I was more curious about big discrepancies like using totally unrelated colors, or having very unrelated team names. I didn't know how common it was.

I thought that is what you had a mind and actually started a reply to that effect before thinking I sounded like a jack@$$. <_< We could spend all day discussing whether the men and women use the same font on their basketball jerseys.

I think Pantone's New Mexico example was on point since the colors are different. LMUPepbander's example worked too, since it involved the use of separate predominant colors out of the same color scheme. I also didn't know there were so many examples of different logos (UConn, UGa)(even if the differences are slight, according to the various posts).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

FWIW, at Northeastern (my Alma Mater), the men's hoop team wears black on the road, and the women's hoop team wears red on the road.

For the last 25 years the men have never worn red, and the women have never worn black. Just one of those things.

From what I was told, when NU had men's and women's athletic departments, the red uniforms were used as "differentiation" and it's stuck.

Rumor has it that the men may have an "alternate" red jersey to wear either at home or on the road for hoops since the conference we are in (Colonial) doesn't have any other teams that have red as a primary color.

In hockey, up until the past couple of seasons, the men and women wore compeltely different jerseys. When the school changed its logos/marks in the athletic department in 02/03, a move was made to standardize all uniform logos and fonts.

Didn't the Duke women's team have a black jersey before the men's team decided to add one.

And in addition to a different nickname, the Louisiana Tech women use that sky blue, while the men usually have royal blue, although the men's team had light blue uniforms during the Karl Malone years.

IndianapolisSpeedsters.png

I absolutely can't stand it when a team adds "Lady" to a team name, such as Lady Vols or Lady Techsters.

Should the men's teams be called the Gentlemen Vols or Gentlemen Techsters?

Maybe we should go the other way to avoid the "Lady" thing --

Tennessee Voluntrixes (sort of like dominatrix, so maybe the plural should be "Voluntrices", like "matrices").

Better yet -- Louisiana Tech Bulldog Bitches (bitch being the correct term for a female dog).

OK, I will now remove my tongue from its firm implantation in my cheek and will try to find a local NOW chapter meeting at which to perform my penance. :P:P:P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I noticed this the other day...LSU's men's jerseys use the geaux font on the numbers, but the women's team uses a standard block font. Both use the LSU wordmark across the front. I can't decide which looks better, but it seems like the men's jersey is more traditional and the women's more modern so the numbering font should be reversed.

GETRAUUOLVTGJRM.20060113031803.jpg

FLORCLKOSUYMXIS.20051219214821.jpg

eyecopy1tn.jpg

It appears the SEC is the worst violator of this because LSU, Alabama...and now Florida have different wordmarks for the women and men! Not to mention the women's uniforms have more orange on the sides, while the men use more blue.

1137124302.jpg1137124296.jpg1137124267.jpg

1137036818.jpg1137036516.jpg1137036397.jpg

On a sidenote, it looks like Mississippi State uses a font similar to what Michigan State had in 2000.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived