Another Devil Rays Name Change Thread

bosox

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I always liked Devil Rays, it's unique.

..and that's probably why it's gonna get changed to something stupid like "Cardinals" or "Yankees" or "Mariners"... :P

Already thought of that...

There was almost the:

Tampa Bay Giants (Thanks, but no thanks, Francis Vincent)

Tampa Bay Rangers

Tampa Bay Twins

Tampa Bay A's

Tampa Bay Mariners

and...

Florida White Sox

Naimoli and Company were ready to go with "Tampa Bay Stingrays" until the mighty "Maui Stingrays" of the former Hawaiian Winter League churpped up and asked for millions for the trademarked name.

Since Vince Naimoli was not about to spend one more cent on this franchise, he opted for the stingray's close cousin, the devil ray, and POOF, the "Tampa Bay Devil Rays" were born.

I agree that the dark blue is needs to be lighter, like to sky blue or "Clearwater Blue."

As for the TB...I've always hated that abbreviation because of a certain disease sharing the same abbreviation. I would just go with an icon of a ___ray.

Wow, someone with some sense.... :blink:

SigReflect.png

Devil Rays is fine as long as they get a professional looking uniform and stay with it. The Mariners were a complete joke until '93(?) when they switched to their current look. Since then they've not only had great success, but are among the top in the league in sales. Good solid design, no trendy gimicks, and consistency over the years will go a long way in helping the team.

Devil Rays is fine as long as they get a professional looking uniform and stay with it. The Mariners were a complete joke until '93(?) when they switched to their current look. Since then they've not only had great success, but are among the top in the league in sales. Good solid design, no trendy gimicks, and consistency over the years will go a long way in helping the team.

That's one of the reasons they switched to their current uniforms a couple years ago...problem is, they went too bland, in mine and apparently a lot of other's opinions...

SigReflect.png

The Mariners were a complete joke until '93(?) when they switched to their current look. Since then they've not only had great success, but are among the top in the league in sales.

It was the uniforms? Ya sure?

It wasn't the fact that the M's finally broke their streak of losing seasons (since their inception) in '91... brought in Piniella to manage... and built up a nucleus of young talent - Griffey, Edgar, the Unit, Harold Reynolds, Jay Buhner...

The old royal/athletic gold was a great combination, and they ditched the upside-down trident a few years before they changed colors. Plenty of teams dress professionally and aren't taken seriously. If your theory works, the Royals will go 110-52 this first year after ditching the preponderance of black from their uniforms.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

With New Owner In Place, New Nickname On Way

They don't know exactly what the new team nickname will be for the 2007 season except it's not going to be the Devil Rays.

The team's president, Matt Silverman, told a group of Tampa business leaders Thursday that there will be "some sort of a change" in the Devil Rays name.

Silverman expects the new name will be announced in either June or July.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

This has to be one of my favorite quotes of all time:

"Silverman said that one option is to remove the "Devil" from Devil Rays after meetings with focus groups revealed a negative association with the with word "devil," the Tribune reported."

No, really, the word "devil" has a negative connotation? Good thing they did focus group research to come up with that one.

This has to be one of my favorite quotes of all time:

"Silverman said that one option is to remove the "Devil" from Devil Rays after meetings with focus groups revealed a negative association with the with word "devil," the Tribune reported."

No, really, the word "devil" has a negative connotation? Good thing they did focus group research to come up with that one.

Yeah, it is funny when you take it out of context and don't read the paragraph that follows it:

"When they liked something we did, they would refer to us as the Rays. If they were discussing a complaint or gripe, we were the Devil Rays," Silverman said.

Think of it this way: when a kid gets in trouble with their parent(s), they yell out their full name.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

the dropping "DEVIL" from the teams nickname is an utterly useless waste of team and money. People take religion way to seriously if a team's nickname could offend them into not buying merchandise. its not like the team is promoting Satanism or any other none christian ideals. its just using the local ecosystem as its basis for the logo.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Archived