Another Devil Rays Name Change Thread

bosox

According to this St. Petersburg Times article, the Devil Rays are looking for a new name, new colors, and new uniforms in 2007.

ST. PETERSBURG - The team on the field might not reflect it, but the Devil Rays organization is undergoing significant change.

With a fresh approach and attitude under the new ownership and management, there are millions being spent to upgrade the facility and improve the fan experience. There are creative executives being hired, and holdover ones being empowered. There are all kinds of innovative concepts (clean restrooms! a decent sound system!) floating around along with new ideas, such as plans for a huge touch tank of live rays on the right-centerfield patio.

Bigger news might be coming.

Top officials are privately talking about ideas that would change the entire look and identity of the team for the 2007 season - from the name to the colors to the logos to the uniforms.

At the least, it seems likely the word "Devil" will be dropped, as it already is in some official team references. Then a decision has to be made whether to continue associating Rays with the sea creatures or to connect with the sun. Or there could be a new name, such as the Tampa Bay Tarpons.

The name issue likely will drive the others, and it reasons that if one is changed they all will be, and done neatly to commemorate what will be marketed as the 10th anniversary season.

Discussions are very much preliminary. Concepts have to be designed. Focus groups need to be convened. MLB officials have to be consulted. Procedures must be followed, including a March31 deadline to notify MLB of a possible change and details by May31. Decisions have to be made.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tampa Bay Tarpons?

I had to re-read that because at first glance I thought it said something of the feminine hygine persuation. I'm sure the article lists this name as a joke- I hope.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

The Tampa Bay Tarpons?

I had to re-read that because at first glance I thought it said something of the feminine hygine persuation. I'm sure the article lists this name as a joke- I hope.

Ditto, I definatley saw Tampa Bay Tampons.

Main Entry: tar·pon

Pronunciation: 'tär-p&n

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural tarpon or tarpons

Etymology: origin unknown

: a large silvery elongate anadromous bony fish (Megalops atlanticus of the family Elopidae) that occurs especially in the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, and warm coastal waters of the Atlantic, reaches a length of about six feet (two meters), and is often caught for sport.

This nickname has been used by several minor league baseball teams on the Gulf Coast...Fort Lauderdale (FL), Gulfport (MS), Jacksonville (FL), Port Arthur (TX), Sarasota (FL), and Tampa (FL). The Tampa Tarpons were a member of the Florida State League from 1957 through 1987. In fact, a season or two ago, the Devil Rays wore Tarpon throwbacks for a game.

This nickname has been used by several minor league baseball teams on the Gulf Coast...Fort Lauderdale (FL), Gulfport (MS), Jacksonville (FL), Port Arthur (TX), Sarasota (FL), and Tampa (FL).

As a stickler for geographic accuracy, I must note that neither Fort Lauderdale or Jacksonville are located on Florida's Gulf Coast. :P

Thanks for the info, PANTONE. I didn't realize the Tarpons identity had been used by so many teams.

As a stickler for geographic accuracy, I must note that neither Fort Lauderdale or Jacksonville are located on Florida's Gulf Coast. :P

Thanks for the info, PANTONE. I didn't realize the Tarpons identity had been used by so many teams.

True, true...my bad.

:P

The Tampa Bay Tarpons?

add me to that list too...even if the name "Tarpons" does have historical value, I still see tampons...I blame society for that

The Tampa Bay Tarpons?

add me to that list too...even if the name "Tarpons" does have historical value, I still see tampons...I blame society for that

Which is probably a good reason to avoid the name. I'm not sure the public would absorb it well anyway.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I saw TARPONS and kind of like it.

Off topic -- iamthedorf, is your sig the O's 40-man roster? Who the hell are Brandon Fahey, Ryan Keefer and Marino Salas? I suddenly feel clueless.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

"such as plans for a huge touch tank of live rays on the right-centerfield patio."

Anyone see possible dangers in this? Imagine someone hitting a long driving hit that hit the sweet spot of the bat, and shattering the tank of the live rays, stinging any nearby spectators, with shards of glass flying. :P

"such as plans for a huge touch tank of live rays on the right-centerfield patio."

Anyone see possible dangers in this? Imagine someone hitting a long driving hit that hit the sweet spot of the bat, and shattering the tank of the live rays, stinging any nearby spectators, with shards of glass flying. :P

1. I believe the patio is on the concourse, they are just saying right-center patio to give a sense of location.

1. You do realize that they clip off the stinger on a stingray with a toenail clipper and the ray is unable to re-grow it.

1. I believe the patio is on the concourse, they are just saying right-center patio to give a sense of location.

1. You do realize that they clip off the stinger on a stingray with a toenail clipper and the ray is unable to re-grow it.

They'd probably use some form of shatterproof glass, too....

Archived