New Milwaukee Admirals one-game jerseys

Gothamite

The 1916 New York Giants had purple plaid, and the 1998 Scotland soccer team's Umbro jerseys had only a faint hint of plaid; you had to be up close to see them, since it looked like they were watercolored onto the navy fabric.

I have that '98 Scotland shirt. It's a thing of beauty. (Sigh. That was the last year that national team uniforms worldwide were not some version of the complete crap they are today.) The Scottish FA should be ashamed for not working plaid into its national kit. Even a tiny bit of, say, Flower of Scotland tartan at the neck or around the sleeves would be better than nothing. If you've got a distinctive national color or fabric, such that the instant anyone says "Scotland," every listener in the room thinks, "plaid," you ought to run with it.

I once got a hold of a bolt of scrap fabric from an Edinburgh bus company; it was the blue, orange, and white plaid used on the bus cushions. (In my defense, it was basically free.) Never found anything to do with the fabric -- it's large enough to pleat into a greatkilt, but who wants to look like bus upholstery -- but it would make a terrific Mets cap or alternate shirt.

20082614447.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is wrong with you people in Milwaukee?! First the return of that old, cruddy Brewer logo, and now... this?!

^_^

(Stand up--*clap clap*--if you hate Milwaukee...)

My guess...they're returning to a time when people actually gave a damn about the city.

You know, Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley times.

Here's that 1916 Giants uniform:

nl_1916_newyork.gif

Wow.  Times have changed.  Then again, they only wore it for one year, so maybe times haven't changed at all - is this any worse than the Astros' rainbow guts or anything the Devil Rays wore?

We're supposed to accept bankers' pinstripes on athletes as normal, but plaid is unspeakably ridiculous? Riiiiiight. The only objective difference between the two is that we're used to the pinstripes. Which is to say that the acceptance of pinstripes and the rejection of plaid is not based on any reasoning, but rather on the unthinking acceptance of established practice. There is no difference between bashing plaid as such and declaring, for example, that purple is an ugly uniform color. Maybe you don't like purple -- there's no accounting for taste -- but it is a serious failure of judgment to mistake the subjective preference "I don't like purple" with the aesthetic principle "purple is bad uniform design."

And that pattern the Giants wore is hardly "plaid." Tattersall, more like.

Granted, the plaid the Admirals are wearing is an ugly plaid, but the problem is the colors, not the pattern.

20082614447.png

What is wrong with you people in Milwaukee?! First the return of that old, cruddy Brewer logo, and now... this?!

^_^

(Stand up--*clap clap*--if you hate Milwaukee...)

I'm really getting sick of the perception that Milwaukee is stuck in the past. Of course, actions such as these don't really do anything to dispel that notion.

QPR%20Sig.png

We're supposed to accept bankers' pinstripes on athletes as normal, but plaid is unspeakably ridiculous? Riiiiiight. The only objective difference between the two is that we're used to the pinstripes. Which is to say that the acceptance of pinstripes and the rejection of plaid is not based on any reasoning, but rather on the unthinking acceptance of established practice. There is no difference between bashing plaid as such and declaring, for example, that purple is an ugly uniform color. Maybe you don't like purple -- there's no accounting for taste -- but it is a serious failure of judgment to mistake the subjective preference "I don't like purple" with the aesthetic principle "purple is bad uniform design."

And that pattern the Giants wore is hardly "plaid." Tattersall, more like.

Granted, the plaid the Admirals are wearing is an ugly plaid, but the problem is the colors, not the pattern.

Hey, now.

I didn't say that the 1916 Giants uniforms were bad design at all. I rather like them.

What I meant was that no team would wear them today. But then again, as I said, we're no stranger to unusual uniform designs now.

Here's that 1916 Giants uniform:

nl_1916_newyork.gif

Wow. Times have changed. Then again, they only wore it for one year, so maybe times haven't changed at all - is this any worse than the Astros' rainbow guts or anything the Devil Rays wore?

When's Mitchell & Ness coming out with that throwback uniform? haha.

Wow.

While searching for photos on the Admirals' site, I came across this:

Uecker.gif

FEBRUARY 17, 2006 vs. MANITOBA 7:00 PM

BOB UECKER PLAID JERSEY SERIES & PATRICK CUDAHY CHEERSTIX NIGHT

The first of two games that the Admirals will wear plaid jerseys similar to the one designed by the legendary bob Uecker for the mid-90's TV commercials.  The jerseys will be auctioned with the proceeds benefiting the Milwaukee Admirals Power Play Foundation.  The first 5,000 fans will receive a set of CheerStix courtesy of Patrick Cudahy.

Wow. Just... wow.

Plaid.

Somewhere, Don Cherry is salivating...

Don%20Cherry%20Mc%20Cleod%20Tartan.jpg

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I found this on jhouk's website (he's a member here, if I recall correctly):

1993 also saw the beginning of the funniest ad campaign ever to hit the airwaves of Milwaukee. Bob Uecker walked into Lloyd Pettit's "office" at the Bradley Center and told him he was going to help out an old broadcasting buddy in publicizing the Admirals. (Lloyd's response was, "Do I know you?"). The whole Uecker ad campaign, including Uecker "helping" to sharpen skates, driving the Zamboni, going with the team on a road trip (via the team's luggage), and dreaming of playing with the Admirals, was probably one of the most amusing (if not most successful) ad campaigns in the IHL.

The ads played out a little like the Lite beer commercials, but no, Ueck hasn't been forced to sit in the "front rooow" nosebleed seats of the Bradley Center in these ads. Actually, it went one worse - a few of the ads had him in the catwalks high above the Admirals' goal (dropping papers on an unsuspecting Admirals goalie). In another ad, he takes control of the Jumbotron scoreboard and the Milwaukee Admirals Victory, the team "blimp" that drops prizes on fans as it flies around the BC during intermissions. The sight of the blimp chasing around a referee makes the whole commercial. Ten years after the commercials began airing, the Admirals auctioned off the "plaid" uniforms that were featured in one of the commercials (playing on Ueck's trademark plaid sportcoats - which even he no longer wears).

It's where I sit.

Those commercials with Uecker and former owner Lloyd Pettit (R.I.P.) were hilarious back in the day.  However, I really hoped those jerseys would never see the light of day again.

I don't remember the commercials - could you give a summary?

Back in the early-to-mid 1990's, when the Admirals were still an independent team playing in the IHL, Bob Uecker did a series of commercials with former owner Lloyd Pettit (Jane would occasionally make appearances, as well). The first one involved Uecker coming into the Bradley Center to offer his services to the club. The initial exchange went something like this:

Uecker: Lloyd? How are you? Long time, no see! What do you say you and me, two old broadcast pros (Pettit used to do PBP for the Blackhawks back in the day) work the booth together this year for the Admirals?

Pettit (with a blank look on his face): Do I know you?

Later in that commercial, you see Uecker loading equipment on to the team bus, and a running gag of him as the team bus driver was born. It lasted for a couple commercials, including one of him showing off his re-designed plaid Admirals uniforms.

QPR%20Sig.png

Wow.

While searching for photos on the Admirals' site, I came across this:

Uecker.gif

FEBRUARY 17, 2006 vs. MANITOBA 7:00 PM

BOB UECKER PLAID JERSEY SERIES & PATRICK CUDAHY CHEERSTIX NIGHT

The first of two games that the Admirals will wear plaid jerseys similar to the one designed by the legendary bob Uecker for the mid-90's TV commercials.  The jerseys will be auctioned with the proceeds benefiting the Milwaukee Admirals Power Play Foundation.  The first 5,000 fans will receive a set of CheerStix courtesy of Patrick Cudahy.

Wow. Just... wow.

Plaid.

Somewhere, Don Cherry is salivating...

Don%20Cherry%20Mc%20Cleod%20Tartan.jpg

Ha!

What about Lindsay Nelson? Bobby Knight? Or that Alabama basketball coach who was so revered that plaid was worked into the center jump circle on the home court before he was fired for sexual harassment?

Makes me hungry for a Triscuit.

Hey Sodboy13, it's working! :D

Ah-HA!

Now, get me a block of aged Wisconsin sharp cheddar, pronto!

And maybe some summer sausage!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived