Super Bowl XL Field Logos

smackdaddy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have always wondered why the NFL or NCAA has never used 3D field art like the ones used in Australian rules football.  they grab your attention right away and its like "howd they do that"?

Probably because Americans like to watch sports on the field than to read advertisements.

No, silly. To grab American sports fans attention, you need dance squads, mascots, elaborate halftime shows, a beach ball to bat around the stands, hot tub seating, loud dance music, their picture on the jumbotron and a bunch of people doing the wave. Anything to keep their minds off the game.

I'm surprised they went with the "Seattle" part on the wordmark. I don't think those endzones are half bad. The stripes are different, but they're not really ugly.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The stripes are a symbol of racing stripes from the hood of the cars from the past and the if you look at all the banners, like the one's posted from unwind a few screens back. they all have that same racing stripe look.

Or it's like the playoff logo they have been using in one form or another for a few years now.

NFL-PO_6510.gif

I think the 40th anniversary thing is coming from the fact that even though the 1st Super Bowl was played in 1967, the season for that year began in 1966 and the Super Bowl ends the season (2006).

I think it would have sounded better if they would have gone with 40th Celebration

The stripes are a symbol of racing stripes from the hood of the cars from the past and the if you look at all the banners, like the one's posted from unwind a few screens back. they all have that same racing stripe look.

I hope this doesn't start a new trend...'theming' the field to reflect the host city. That is what the logo itself is for. So I suppose Miami's SB will feature palm trees in the enzone, Arizona's some cacti...

newsig.jpg

I think the 40th anniversary thing is coming from the fact that even though the 1st Super Bowl was played in 1967, the season for that year began in 1966 and the Super Bowl ends the season (2006).

I think it would have sounded better if they would have gone with 40th Celebration

Flimsy logic. Verrrrrrrrrrrrry flimsy logic.

That's like me saying I should just go ahead and celebrate my 31st birthday tomorrow. Heck, I was born in 1975, and it's 2006 - so why wait 'til November?

Because anniversaries commemorate the completion of an entire year (or multiple years) since an event took place.

The NFL, like other leagues, likes celebrating round numbers, and they probably think that most people aren't smart enough to realize that the 40th Super Bowl is only the 39th anniversary of the 1st, and it would confuse too many eejits next year when they'd have to hype the 40th anniversary of the Super Bowl at the 41st Super Bowl. So to dumb it down, they (knowingly?!?!) made a mistake and put up 40th Anniversary signs everywhere.

You're 100% right, though... 40th celebration would have been fine. Or, "Celebrating 40 Super Bowls" [NOT 40 YEARS of Super Bowls] would've worked. Just leave the A-word out of this.

They either purposely made this mistake, or they're that dumb. Either way, it can't be justified to we anal-retentive types who get infuriated by such idiocy. :mad:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived