Toyota Camry to NASCAR

TBGKon

Big Bill Davis absolutely will. He had problems with Dodge then Ford, he's gonna want to get with the Land of the Rising Sun.

I saw someone being interviewed a few weeks ago and I noticed the camry right behind them.

And finally, it's not really a surprise. Very first thing out of big NASCAR fans' mouths (after the obscenities) when they unveiled the Tundra was "Camry is coming soon."

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

I like the fact that Toyota's coming in - it'll definitely make NASCAR more marketable. We all know that Fords, Dodges, and Chevys are all POS cars that can't hold their value for nothing. It'll be nice to see a car on that track that actually performs well off of it as well.

(Gets off his soapbox)

You know what's next though - it's only a matter of time before Honda shows up. B)

So now the count of imaginary "stock" cars moves to three from two. Neither the Camry, the Ford Fusion nor the Dodge Charger come in a two door model. Only the Chevy Monte Carlo adheres to the already watered-down principles of putting a car on the track that somewhat resembles a car you can actually buy. It's really gotten to the point where it would be reasonable to presume that the "stock" in "stock car" more appropriately stands for the purchaseable shares of the corporations that sponsor the races, the vehicles and the circuit itself.

true the "stock" part is hardly true now days. they are more like machines that happened to be shaped like cars. However as a loyal japanese car owner and especially a believer in Toyota I'm stoked to see them move into nascar. I've been a nascar fan for years but this is really gonna spike my interest. Hopefully Toyota can get someone big to jump on, my guess would be Jeff Gordon since all the rednecks hate him anyway so it only seems natural :P . In all seriousness i think this is a good move in globalizing nascar. And if toyota has success its only a matter of time until honda jumps in.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

I hope Toyota gets their doors blown off by GM and Ford.

Same here.

I think it's gonna take a few years before Toyota becomes competetive.

Dodge is finally starting to competet again after several years not in Cup racing.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Same here.

I think it's gonna take a few years before Toyota becomes competetive.

Dodge is finally starting to competet again after several years not in Cup racing.

Like F1, Toyota will need some time to made a car good enough to run with the other teams in NASCAR. They wouldn't be going into NASCAR if they didn't commit long term.

I saw, I came, I left.

Screw Toyota.

They make the 3rd best pickup, the second best family sedan, and the 5th best compact. Now they will be the 4th best mark in NASCAR. Hooray.

<_<

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

CONCORD, N.C. -- The three teams that will field the first Toyota Camrys in NASCAR's top series include an old hand at Cup racing, a two-time Daytona 500 winner -- and an energy drink.

Bill Davis Racing, Michael Waltrip Racing and all-new Team Red Bull were named Tuesday night as the first teams to run Toyotas in Nextel Cup and Busch Series races starting in 2007. The Japanese automaker is the first foreign manufacturer since the 1950s to supply cars for NASCAR's top series.

Michael Waltrip, who currently drives for Bill Davis Racing, will become an owner/driver in 2007. No driver has been named for Waltrip's second car.

"I never thought I would be a car owner in the Cup series," he said Tuesday night. "But then I thought, if I can plug into this, I can go race with these guys. ... Now I've got cars. I can race these people."

Bill Davis Racing will have to replace Waltrip next year to drive its second car; Davis said the team's other driver, Dave Blaney, would drive the Toyota in 2007.

The Red Bull team will also field two cars, with the drivers to be named later.

Bill Davis Racing has been a regular competitor in the NASCAR Cup Series since 1993, while Michael Waltrip Racing has been primarily involved in the Busch Series. Team Red Bull is new to Cup, although the company has been heavily involved in worldwide motorsports.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

What about Dodge?

Seriously though the truth of the matter is this. There are going to be a lot of people who are upset that a "foreign" car is joining the Nextel and Busch series. What people are overlooking is that Toyota and Honda make cars that are more "American" than the Big Three American companies are making. Take a trip to your local car lot and look at the stickers on new cars. The sticker will tell you what percentage of the car was actually made in America. When we were car shopping I looked at a Dodge, it's percentage of American made parts was 57% and it was assembled in Mexico. The Honda I looked at was 85% American made parts and it was assembled in West Liberty Ohio. So which car is truly "American Made?" Honda and Toyota provide Americans jobs, they build their cars here in a time when everyone else is looking overseas for cheap labor, and their products are of the highest quality. Based on that, if they want to give the big three a run for their money on the NASCAR tracks I say welcome aboard.

I always wonder why it's such a big deal to people if a car isn't "American Made" but no one seems to have a problem with their Sony TV's, Ipods, or any of the other millions of products that are made in China or elsewhere. It's not like America can't build stereos, TVs or computers yet no one seems to care that they all come from Japan.

Just my 2 cents. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Yeah, the learning curve will be steep for Toyota, and I wouldn't guarantee a Toyota driver to place in the Chase for the Cup in 07, but let's not forget that Toyota does race F1, so they do have a history of racing, albeit in other forums, whereas Dodge really just came into the NASCAR scene in 2001 after being gone for almost 20 years. Plus with the common body templates, which all body makes are the same except for the nose, it's gonna make it much easier on Toyota than the growing pains Dodge experienced prior to the templates.

Now when Honda enters NASCAR, THAT will be exciting :D

What about Dodge?

Seriously though the truth of the matter is this. There are going to be a lot of people who are upset that a "foreign" car is joining the Nextel and Busch series. What people are overlooking is that Toyota and Honda make cars that are more "American" than the Big Three American companies are making. Take a trip to your local car lot and look at the stickers on new cars. The sticker will tell you what percentage of the car was actually made in America. When we were car shopping I looked at a Dodge, it's percentage of American made parts was 57% and it was assembled in Mexico. The Honda I looked at was 85% American made parts and it was assembled in West Liberty Ohio. So which car is truly "American Made?" Honda and Toyota provide Americans jobs, they build their cars here in a time when everyone else is looking overseas for cheap labor, and their products are of the highest quality. Based on that, if they want to give the big three a run for their money on the NASCAR tracks I say welcome aboard.

I always wonder why it's such a big deal to people if a car isn't "American Made" but no one seems to have a problem with their Sony TV's, Ipods, or any of the other millions of products that are made in China or elsewhere. It's not like America can't build stereos, TVs or computers yet no one seems to care that they all come from Japan.

Just my 2 cents. :D

Very true. I'd rather drive a Honda built in Ohio than a Ford built in Mexico.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I can hear the rednecks slitting their wrists already at the thought of a foreign car company with their hands in NASCAR. Whats next? An african american or a woman driver? Talk about killing the sport at it's heart.

Not to mention its those damn dirty Japs that attacked us in WWII. :P

Archived