Logo for Giants Park

brinkeguthrie

<sorry about this- headline is misleading, would appear that the logo is within this post. =bg=>

For the third time, the Giants have turned to Debra Nichols Design of San Francisco for a logo and other graphics work. The designers selected a type font called city, which was developed in 1930, for the AT&T Park signs and logo -- a kind of combination of "late Victorian and early baseball,'' said Bill Comstock, Nichols' partner. "It's simple and bold and fits the architecture really well.''

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...BUGG4H2KKL1.DTL

But the best name for a corporate-sponsored stadium:

The Great American Ballpark

(Even if the stadium is just...meh...)

the stadium isnt any good? I grew up going to Riverfront from '71 thru '98. moved to SF in 99 so I didn't attend either of the new stadiums, both of which were approved in 97 i think. i remember the issue being voted on down to the wire- whoa, intense.

But the best name for a corporate-sponsored stadium:

The Great American Ballpark

(Even if the stadium is just...meh...)

the stadium isnt any good? I grew up going to Riverfront from '71 thru '98. moved to SF in 99 so I didn't attend either of the new stadiums, both of which were approved in 97 i think. i remember the issue being voted on down to the wire- whoa, intense.

My opinion is that they could have done a lot better with the GABP. I don't like the gap in the decks. I don't like the all red seats, even if they are the Cincinnati Reds. Red seats fade from the sun and look like crap.

redseat.jpg

The GABP was originally to have green seats.

I went to Great American Ballpark last summer, bringing my total to four (the others being Yankee Stadium, SkyDome err...Rogers Center, and Tropicana Field). I really enjoyed myself at the stadium and I think everything worked out really well. Being on the river is great. Being downtown is great. Five dollars seats was pretty great too, and there were a bunch of fun activities as well as a boardwalk. Considering everything, it was my favorite ballpark to have visited.

And to be on topic that stadium logo is ugly and boring.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

To get back off topic, The Cards used red seats in the old Busch Stadium, and they never really faded.

Fans had a choice to vote for dark green or red seats in the new Busch, and thankfully red prevailed.

There were in Busch II and will be in Busch III green seats in some of the field box sections though.

What about the giant Tampons that line the outfield of Great American Ballpark?

NASTY

are you talking about the lighting structures? Because the only reason they are like that is a throwback to old Crosley field.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I hated the look of the GABP on TV, but it grew on me when I got to a game there in 2004 -- multiple thunderstorms and all. Not my favourite ballpark, but far from my least fave.

I like the AT&T logo -- classy looking !

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

To get back off topic, The Cards used red seats in the old Busch Stadium, and they never really faded.

Wow, you really are a youngster, STL . . . or perhaps I'm just an old fogey. The only Busch Stadium seats you can recall are the ones that they installed in the late 80's or early 90's I can't recall exactly when (yikes! the memory's going too!). Back in the mid to late 70's I can recall the seats being a very muted shade of pink. I guess they didn't have the most advanced colorsafe plastics in 1966 when the original red seats were installed.

What about the giant Tampons that line the outfield of Great American Ballpark?

NASTY

are you talking about the lighting structures? Because the only reason they are like that is a throwback to old Crosley field.

I think he means the Pepsi Power Stacks in centerfield. Although they're kinda cheesy, most folks in town seem to like them. They're supposed to be reminiscent of the smoke stacks on paddlewheel riverboats. Not coincidentally, behind centerfield on the bank of the Ohio River, there is the National Steamboat Monument.

I'm not sure how to post a pic, so here's a link to a JPG of the Power Stacks:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:4ZZq...618-0124_SM.jpg

Archived