XX Winter Olympics in Torino

Roger Clemente

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Australian Dale Beggs-Smith has won gold in the moguls!

Biggest. Upset. Ever.

Then again, I'm not really that into moguls, so I wouldn't know., Im basing this on the fact that there is little to no snow in Australia, and this guy won. :P

Apparently he was one of the favourites and, yes, Australia does have mountains and snow....

Damn that turncoat Smith (he was Canadian)

I saw, I came, I left.

Biggest. Upset. Ever.

Then again, I'm not really that into moguls, so I wouldn't know., Im basing this on the fact that there is little to no snow in Australia, and this guy won. :P

Apparently he was one of the favourites and, yes, Australia does have mountains and snow....

OIC.

See this is why I like the Olympics: You learn something new and fascinating each day!

The More You Know

EDIT:

Final Score of USA-Latvia

USA-3

Latvia-3

This is going to be a long tournament.

USA-3

Latvia-3

I didn't watch any of the game, but there's no excuse to tie a team like Latvia. No excuse! I got a feeling the States don't even make the bronze medal game.

6uXNWAo.png

USA-3

Latvia-3

I didn't watch any of the game, but there's no excuse to tie a team like Latvia. No excuse! I got a feeling the States doesn't even make the bronze medal game.

Don't underestimate the phenomenon that is Arturs Irbe :D

I saw, I came, I left.

USA-3

Latvia-3

I didn't watch any of the game, but there's no excuse to tie a team like Latvia. No excuse! I got a feeling the States doesn't even make the bronze medal game.

You just now got this feeling. I've had that feeling since at least they named that team if not before.

This team is poorly constructed to where it can't win this year but doesn't give a lot of the young guys some experience for 2010. The best U.S. goalie is sitting at home in Buffalo right now. The GM of the team has career winning percentage of .348 in the NHL. I think the only thing they got right was the coach.

THe US hockey team is too old we shoudl do better in 2010 when player slike Zach Parise start to rise in the rankinsg but now we are relying on too many payers past their prime and in the case of Keith Tkachuck who has ate himeself past his prime.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

USA-3

Latvia-3

You just now got this feeling. I've had that feeling since at least they named that team if not before.

I figured the game would be closer than most would imaging (5-2 maybe) but to tie, ugh! The Amwericans have no chance at gold, especially after all the other teeams that should have won (maybe except for Russia) won.

6uXNWAo.png

Biggest. Upset. Ever.

yeh basically is a canadian, but he is an Aussie now!

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Men's hockey

Canada 7

Italy 2

F

Good game, especially for Canuck, Todd Bertuzzi who played one of his best games all year. Made great passes setting up 3 goals (although credited with 2 assists) and was a force in front of the net on powerplays.

The newest news now is that Steve Moore dropped the law suit on Bert. I'm convinced he did this on purpose to get Bertuzzi off his game and make his life as miserable as possible. What Bert did was wrong and he's apologized but Moore just doesn't want to let it go and forgive.

I know I posted something like this elsewhere but....

Can someone please defend short-track speed skating to me? It's basically all NBC showed tonight, and it's popularity is lost on me. What I basically see are a bunch of skaters on a ridiculously small track that crash into one another, leaving the survivors of the inevitable trainwreck as 'Olympians'. It looks a LOT more like luck of the draw to me than actual racing prowess.

Am I the only one?

newsig.jpg

I know I posted something like this elsewhere but....

Can someone please defend short-track speed skating to me? It's basically all NBC showed tonight, and it's popularity is lost on me. What I basically see are a bunch of skaters on a ridiculously small track that crash into one another, leaving the survivors of the inevitable trainwreck as 'Olympians'. It looks a LOT more like luck of the draw to me than actual racing prowess.

Am I the only one?

techinically they are Olympians by making it to the Olympics....

but Speed Skating is cool, Figure Skating however, annoys the hell out of me, i dont like it

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

USA-3

Latvia-3

I figured the game would be closer than most would imaging (5-2 maybe) but to tie, ugh! The Amwericans have no chance at gold, especially after all the other teeams that should have won (maybe except for Russia) won.

Irbe stood on his fluffing head in that game for the Latvians....

BTW, anyone else think choosing Derian Hatcher for this team was a big mistake? He's slower than dogplop and always seems to pick the WORST time to take a boneheaded penalty.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

BTW, anyone else think choosing Derian Hatcher for this team was a big mistake?  He's slower than dogplop and always seems to pick the WORST time to take a boneheaded penalty.

Agreed. I didn't see the game yesterday, but I know I didn't have to see it to know Hatcher is wayyyyyy trashy now.

Another mistake Team USA made was not bringing in any good goaltending. They could have at least tried to lure Mike Richter onto the team. Anyone has got to be better than John Grahme. Maybe we can just go with six attackers the entire game and try to win that way.

6uXNWAo.png

Can someone please defend short-track speed skating to me? 

I think it is the crash/recovery aspect that makes it entertaining. You never know who will win cause someone might crash. When they are all stacked up in the corners, or making tight passes, it is fun to watch.

And atleast it is a race, rather than judged. Judged events should have their own separate olympics. The Olympics of Artisans.

Oh, and nice shot there at Don Waddell. His winning percentage as a GM is low cause he's the GM of an expansion team, jerkstore. You could have done better assembling the US team? WHo is at home (other than goalies) who could improve this team? He put together what he had to work with.

Which is another thing, the idea that you can play for a country in the Olympics just because your great grandmother was born there is ridiculous. Most of the Olympians live and train in the US full time, because we have better facilities, better jobs, better palce to live. Sounds like a reason to wear the red-white-and blue to me.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Dear NBC,

You've now had to show replays of two goals in the Russia - Sweden game because you were in a commercial break. Can you PLEASE show all hockey games commercial-free?

That would be great but unfortunatly the buisness of television makes that impossible. NBC can't go 12 hours where there are about thirty minute breaks where commericals can't be shown. They have to pay for the rights to the olympics some how and that is through advertisements. We are lucky the US games are commercial free.

Dear NBC,

You've now had to show replays of two goals in the Russia - Sweden game because you were in a commercial break.  Can you PLEASE show all hockey games commercial-free?

That would be great but unfortunatly the buisness of television makes that impossible. NBC can't go 12 hours where there are about thirty minute breaks where commericals can't be shown. They have to pay for the rights to the olympics some how and that is through advertisements. We are lucky the US games are commercial free.

Well, why can't we do it like they do for soccer and get different companies to sponsor different portions of the games?

(For what it's worth, it was on MSNBC today, but I think for an event of this magnitude, this would be the proper way to do it.)

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived