Global's new logo

gojetsgo

I like it. A lot. The type is much better in the new logo, and type is at least half the battle in a corporate logo. The red arrow shape gives the logo a sense of motion without "italics" or using a "cutting edge" font, the same way the arrow in the Fed Ex logo does. The new logo is compact and has a good balance, unlike the old logo. As simple a device it is, I've never seen a symbol quite like that red chevron-esque icon. It's unique and interesting, and it's a beautiul shape. This shape really says 'global' to me, because of the connotoation of movement and travel I associate with the icon. Lastly, it is beautiful in its simplicity. A logo that succeeds on so few elements is difficult to create. Paul Rand was great at creating simple corporate logos, like ABC, UPS and Enron. I look at this logo, and I can tell the designer was intimately involved in the painstaking process of composing this logo and perfecting all the proportional relationships. Wow, all that and I didn't even say anything about color.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Tempest is right. Very nice design, the text is beautimus.

The old one looks like a fingernail clipping, throws off balance, is lopsided and awkward.

Definate upgrade.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks the new one looks much better than the old one!

I really looks cleaner and more professional.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I don't like it at all, but I'm not much of a logo expert, so that's probably why. I think it looks plain (not like the last one didn't) and I'd rather take CBC, NBC, CBS or ABC's logo over this one, those are all miles better than this one to me.

I think this is a case of not liking it because it's something new... I don't like the new logo but it's probably just because I'm used to seeing the "fingernail clipping" in the corner of my screen for a decade.

The arrow shape is meant to be a greater than sign.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I think this is a case of not liking it because it's something new... I don't like the new logo but it's probably just because I'm used to seeing the "fingernail clipping" in the corner of my screen for a decade.

The arrow shape is meant to be a greater than sign.

As in greater than the CBC?

I prefer the old logo. I think it represents the portion of a sphere in which the sun hits at a certain angle.

Kinda like this:

earth%20sun.jpeg

I guess the new logo is about moving forward.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/c...cb-357e5eff1878

Alex Strachan, CanWest News Service

Published: Sunday, February 05, 2006

Global is about to change its face.

Global Television, Canada's second-largest independently owned TV network, is rebranding itself as part of a long-term strategy to once again become Canadians' destination for must-see TV.

Beginning today, coinciding with Global's telecast of the Super Bowl, viewers will see a new look and, CanWest MediaWorks Television and Radio president Kathy Dore promises, a new attitude: Smart. Youthful. Hip. Relevant.

The idea is to reposition Global as the TV brand Canadians will turn to first for news and entertainment.

As part of the new strategy. Global's flagship newscast, Global National, hosted by Kevin Newman, will move to a uniform time -- 5:30 p.m. -- across most regions in Canada.

Global's viewers will see a new logo: a "greater than" sign, instead of the familiar crescent icon that Global has used since 1997. Global's sister channel, CH, will keep the crescent for now but will be rebranded at a later date, Dore said.

"It will have its own distinct brand and its own distinct program schedule."

As part of Global's rebranding, Dore said, Global will provide viewers with more insight, a wider perspective and a deeper understanding of the world around them.

"This is part of an overall, long-term plan to rebuild Global and return it to its position of prominence," Dore said.

In the mid- to late 1990s, Global was the most-watched TV network in Canada in prime time, thanks to such iconic, culturally defining programs as Seinfeld, Friends, The Simpsons and The X-Files.

In recent years, that title has been ceded to CTV, thanks to showcase series like CSI, American Idol, Desperate Housewives and the homegrown Corner Gas.

"It's about what you put on the network and how you talk to your audience," Dore said, about Global's rebranding.

"Having a strong brand and a clear brand will become more and more important in television, looking at the future. Our goal in an increasingly fragmented environment is to create a destination and a familiarity, so that when viewers are surfing channels and they see a particular logo or a particular look, they'll stop and engage. The key for us is to give people food for thought, give them information and points of view they can take away from the television set and use in their daily lives. That can range from everything from context in news reporting to entertaining news about celebrities on ET Canada."

Bill Fitch, general manager and media director of DSA Baron Communications in Calgary, characterized Global's move as a step in the right direction.

"I'm not surprised at all," Fitch said. "It's part of the ongoing evolution that any broadcaster or major media company goes through."

Fitch doubted that viewers would react strongly to the change, beyond tuning into the news and wondering briefly if the changed look will change the content in any way.

But he said Global's new look might help close the ratings gap with CTV.

"I think what Global is trying to do is grab onto something that's new, that's fresh -- change the look of their news a little, and try to catch up. And there's nothing wrong with doing that."

The reasons for rebranding are simple: a new-look solution to an old problem.

The TV dial is growing more crowded. Viewers' time is growing more precious and harder to come by. The media world is more complex and more competitive than at any time since the advent of broadcasting.

Conventional network television still has the unique ability to reach a mass audience in a relatively short period of time, according to CanWest MediaWorks marketing director Walter Levitt. And that can shape next-day conversations around the office water cooler, whether it's the latest contestant to be voted off Survivor or an important story that appeared on the national news the previous day.

Levitt says the new-look Global is about more than just a new logo.

"This is about a re-energized, reinvigorated brand," Levitt said. "At its core, what makes a brand a brand is a promise. What we're trying to do at Global is promise our viewers something consistent every time they come to Global. That icon itself is our promise to viewers that when you come to Global you will get more content and more perspective."

In just four years, Global National has become the second most-watched national newscast on a conventional, mainstream network. According to BBM figures for Oct. 10 to Dec. 18, 2005, Global National was seen by an average 788,000 viewers (adults 18 or older) -- behind CTV News, at 875,000, but ahead of CBC, at 745,000.

In a relatively short period of time, Global National is now the second most-watched national newscast, according to Global News senior vice-president Steve Wyatt.

"We're the new voice in national news in this country," Global News senior vice-president Steve Wyatt said. "I think what viewers are seeing now is a news program that is presenting itself as a national program of record, rather than one that is at the tail end of everyone else."

Wyatt underscored the importance of airing Global's flagship national newscast at a uniform time. Global National will now be paired with Global's

local, supper-hour newscasts

in every region in the country.

"I always hear the comment, 'No one's home in Toronto to watch the news at 5:30 p.m.,'" Wyatt said. "The truth is, there are a lot of people at home watching news at 5:30 p.m. And they're the ones we want. It will be the only national news program, and in most parts of the country the only news program available at that time of day on conventional television."

I saw, I came, I left.

I like the old one more because:

1. I'm way too used to it.

2. That crescent actually (and always has) reminds me of a globe.

3. I have no clue what that red > is supposed to be or represent.

Will this change also apply to the logos for Prime and Dejaview?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Wow I agree with Roger...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Wow I agree with Roger...

That makes two of us.

Roger, you been drinking the normal water again? ^_^

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Granted I'm from the states and my only chance to see the old logo was during post game interview mics. I understand what they're trying to do, but the plain helvetica doesn't work. a "circular, globe" font would've made this work.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I think this is a downgrade. I see the average person looking at that on the TV and say "What the hell does a arrow have to do with a globe?!"

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

So it has nothing to do with the old logo looking like the Muslim crescent?

That was my first thought when I saw they were changing.

Well, tt could never have been a Muslim crescent.... why? The network had been run by a Jew whose first name was Israel.... (yeah, I know it was wrong to say that)....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/asper/

I saw, I came, I left.

So it has nothing to do with the old logo looking like the Muslim crescent?

That was my first thought when I saw they were changing.

For one thing, the Muslin crescent is way more circular and the crescent itself covers about 3/4 of the circle, missing the right quadrant. Global's crescent on the other hand over covers about half the circle and is not as rounded on the inside or is as sharp, not to mention it only covers the top-left half of the circle.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived