Report: Colts sell new stadium naming rights

brinkeguthrie

I'll wait and see what exactly they do with the name.

If they go with Lucas Stadium, that could work out pretty well. It's a name that sounds like it could go with a stadium, even though it's a corporate name. There are a few others that work(ed) out well - Ericsson Stadium (Charlotte, now Bank of America), Raymond James Stadium (Tampa).

But if they go with Lucas Oil Stadium, that's pushing into the "bad choice" range. If they can leave well enough alone and leave the "oil" out, I could live with Lucas Stadium.

Time will tell.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

If they go with Lucas Stadium, that could work out pretty well. It's a name that sounds like it could go with a stadium, even though it's a corporate name. There are a few others that work(ed) out well - Ericsson Stadium (Charlotte, now Bank of America), Raymond James Stadium (Tampa).

But if they go with Lucas Oil Stadium, that's pushing into the "bad choice" range. If they can leave well enough alone and leave the "oil" out, I could live with Lucas Stadium.

Time will tell.

Yeah. How much better would "Citizens Park" or "Lincoln Field" sound than "Citizens Bank Park" or "Lincoln Financial Field."?

I'd guess they would add the "oil" in the name, to prevent a situation like Buffalo's Rich Stadium, where a majority of people didn't realize that it was a corporate name (which defeats the purpose of buying naming rights.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If they go with Lucas Stadium, that could work out pretty well.  It's a name that sounds like it could go with a stadium, even though it's a corporate name.  There are a few others that work(ed) out well - Ericsson Stadium (Charlotte, now Bank of America), Raymond James Stadium (Tampa).

But if they go with Lucas Oil Stadium, that's pushing into the "bad choice" range.  If they can leave well enough alone and leave the "oil" out, I could live with Lucas Stadium.

Time will tell.

Agreed. By the way, if they name it Lucas Stadium, will this guy's picture be on the outside? He did play football, after all. :P

tn_lucas012_jpg.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The best example of corporate naming gone right is in Cincinnati, where the Reds play at Great American Ballpark. I read in an article that more than half of the local baseball fans surveyed had no idea that it was named for an insurance firm.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

The best example of corporate naming gone right is in Cincinnati, where the Reds play at Great American Ballpark. I read in an article that more than half of the local baseball fans surveyed had no idea that it was named for an insurance firm.

I guess that is a matter of perspective. Those of us who dislike the corporate names would say that is a good thing. I would hardly say it has "gone right" for Great American if their money has failed to provide any name recognition.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It's a retractable roof stadium right? I can't wait when the Colts play with the roof open, then I can say it's "Lucas with the lid off"

151.jpg

lol. I forgot about that song.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

growing up in Cincy, i didn't know for years Rich Stadium was named after a company..or Ericsson in NC (their phones were not yet in our market.

Former Reds CEO Carl Lindner is The Man in Cincy; can't believe there are folks there who don't know where the name is from. His recongition factor is 100% no doubt.

from rovell:

Smart Move

Kudos to the lawyers for the Indianapolis Colts, who just signed a $121 million naming-rights deal with Lucas Oil. As part of the contract, if the stadium has to change its name, Lucas must pay for the costs of changing signs, the logo and the marketing materials. In 2002, the Astros paid about $100 for each of the hundreds of Enron signs around their stadium that had to be removed. Bankruptcies and mergers have made it important to put a clause like this into a naming-rights contract.

the sad part of this all is that the only people that benefit from the selling of naming rights is the owners who only line their pocket books just a little more. If the fans benefited in some way with the naming rights, it wouldn't bother me.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived