Nationals unveil ballpark design

marlinfan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it once an MLB requirement for the batter to always be facing east (which would be away from the Monument, among other things)? I've heard that somewhere a long time ago......

It was true at one time and still might be. This was to keep the setting sun out of the batters eyes.

The outside looks like the MCI Center

Same design team, according to my morning newspaper.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Now that I think about it, this park bears a striking resemblence to the proposed Labatt Park that was supposed to be built in Montreal.

This was my first impression as well. It doesn't look too bad. I was hoping for a bit more retro, but I think it'll do for the Nats.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it once an MLB requirement for the batter to always be facing east (which would be away from the Monument, among other things)?  I've heard that somewhere a long time ago......

It was true at one time and still might be. This was to keep the setting sun out of the batters eyes.

I believe the rule is that it must face due ENE... or along those lines.

It's not a terrible design, I've seen better and worse. Definately not as destinctive as some of the newer parks, but not bad.

As far as the landmark issue goes, well, you can't win them all. I think it's great that you can see the skyline at Citizens Bank Park (and on a clear night you can read the signboard at the top of the PECO building 3.5 miles away).

philly.png

Put sandstone exterior on this and some hanging gardens and it's exactly what PETCO should have looked like. Even the light standards resemble the ones in Qualcomm stadium a bit.

It does bring feelings of Coors, PETCO, Turner, US Cellular and Busch III.

I also feel going with a pearlized granite exterior and white granite pillars would have made it feel much more DC than this.

Still, it's a ballpark. It's in DC. That can't be bad. The team might be...but having a ballpark in DC isn't.

I too wish that the landmarks were closer, and maybe I don't know the city that well but I'm thinking if you're government security or secret service you really don't want a crowd of over 40,000 people that close to the Capitol, White House, or whatever. I'm sure they get crowds that large at those places every day, but 40,000 MORE? I don't know it just seems like a risk. Plus they were able to put it right by the river and still have the landmarks visible in the distance.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Don't they realize this design will feel outdated in 10-20 years?

More like two years after they move in. Everyone complains once the new home smell is gone.

Well, if baseball fans and players would just start using the washroom facilities, then the smell wouldn't be gone that soon...

I saw, I came, I left.

The outside looks like the MCI Center

Same design team, according to my morning newspaper.

Maybe they did that on purpose to give it that systemic bureaucratic feel of Washington.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I too wish that the landmarks were closer, and maybe I don't know the city that well but I'm thinking if you're government security or secret service you really don't want a crowd of over 40,000 people that close to the Capitol, White House, or whatever. I'm sure they get crowds that large at those places every day, but 40,000 MORE? I don't know it just seems like a risk. Plus they were able to put it right by the river and still have the landmarks visible in the distance.

Isn't RFK a lot closer to the White House, the Capitol, etc. than this place, and hold more than 40,000?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it once an MLB requirement for the batter to always be facing east (which would be away from the Monument, among other things)?  I've heard that somewhere a long time ago......

It was done either by rule or by convention, but it's not adhered to anymore.

A while back, someone had posted a link to a great site that actually showed the orientation of all of the MLB parks relative to true north. I used to think every park faced east as well, but many don't. It would be a helluva dig through the archives, but the link's here somewhere.

The tradition has probably been less rigorously enforced now that every park has its own artificial light, and night games are more prevalent than day games. But it was the rule at one point, and is the source of lefthanders being called southpaws.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived