Red Bull New York

brooksdiamond

threads on all these subjects arleady exist...

and many of them are tired old arguments.

i know you're new, but use the search tool. no need to start a new thread to say you disapprove of team names that were changed over a year ago, in some cases.

also, in another thread you just posted, you said you liked the name houston 1836..... that's a european styled name too. you can't hate some of them for being euro, but call that one unique.

Well, Houston 1836 at least has some significance to the city and the history there. Sticking a

sponsor name on a team and making it the focus is more of a euro thing. 1836 is in fact a nickname, Red Bull New York is not. I think houston dumped 1836 as a nickname because it

would alienate the mexican population there, which is huge. 1836, the battle of San Jacinto, meant payback for the alamo. Houston Dynamo is too generic. We're bombarded with advertising as it is. you have to have some seperation at least when it comes to what the team is nicknamed. MLS is trying to go against the grain. It's not going to work.

i just fail to see how houston 1836 is any better than fc dallas, or chivas.

i don't like the idea of red bull new york, either... but you can't say you dislike it for europeanization reasons.

There's a history of singular nicknames in this country: Chicago Fire, Philadelphia Bell, Miami

Heat, Colorado Mamoth..etc....even Caribous of Colorado works....But sponsor names being

prominent won't work here. 1836 can be considered a singular nickname like any of the others

I mentioned.

Sticking a sponsor name on a team and making it the focus is more of a euro thing.

Not sure if the other threads touched on this (it was a week ago), but take a look at the Japanese baseball leagues. Mexican futbol, Wrigley Field.

Corporate naming is not strictly a European thing.

As far as it "never flying over here", take a look at NASCAR and tell me people don't associate corporate sponsorship with teams.

patriotssignature.png

There's a history of singular nicknames in this country: Chicago Fire, Philadelphia Bell, Miami

Heat, Colorado Mamoth..etc....even Caribous of Colorado works...

And they all are terrible names. It's why MLB won't allow teams to have singular names, and why the NFL doesn't have any teams with singular names. They sound bush league. (I'll be kind and spare you the rest of this canned rant, like how to identify a single player for the Orlando or Miami NBA teams. <_< )

Just a bit of advice, to the new guy: people in this community are scary sharp about the details. If you're going to have an opinion, better make sure it's well supported, and your facts are legit. Statements like "Sticking a sponsor name on a team and making it the focus is more of a euro thing" will be cut to ribbons within minutes of you posting them.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

And they all are terrible names. It's why MLB won't allow teams to have singular names, and why the NFL doesn't have any teams with singular names.

As much as I hate adding to this thread, I really, really like the team name Chicago Fire. Kind of obvious, and a little self-deprecating. But I think the the logo is perfect and it sounds good.

That's all.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And they all are terrible names. It's why MLB won't allow teams to have singular names, and why the NFL doesn't have any teams with singular names. They sound bush league. (I'll be kind and spare you the rest of this canned rant, like how to identify a single player for the Orlando or Miami NBA teams. <_< )

Just a bit of advice, to the new guy: people in this community are scary sharp about the details. If you're going to have an opinion, better make sure it's well supported, and your facts are legit. Statements like "Sticking a sponsor name on a team and making it the focus is more of a euro thing" will be cut to ribbons within minutes of you posting them.

Ummm, in the early years of the NFL, there were a few singular nicknames - the Racine Legion and the Providence Steamroller. I read somewhere that the owner of the Providence club, an English professor, made it clear that sports nicknames should be singular, since they are a SINGLE unit, made up of individuals, on line with the Whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Ummm, in the early years of the NFL, there were a few singular nicknames - the Racine Legion and the Providence Steamroller. I read somewhere that the owner of the Providence club, an English professor, made it clear that sports nicknames should be singular, since they are a SINGLE unit, made up of individuals, on line with the Whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

then you've got names that are barely even nouns, like the minnesota wild.

are they using the short form of wilderness? or are they using the adjective?

I don't get the Houston Dynamo name. Does Houston really have that big of a Russian population? Or was I just unaware that Houston split off and joined the soviet union at some point? :P

But then again, I didn't know Salt Lake City was ruled by spanish monarchs either.

Although the New York corporate whoring is bad, it's not the worst the MLS has had.

Funny, then, that the club should also bill itself as the "Providence Steamrollers."

Yes, they used both the singular and plural. They even wore sideline sweaters with "Steam Rollers" on them.

You're right. There were singular nicknames in the NFL. Currently, there are none, which is what I wrote.

European commentators blur the line further by referring to national teams in the plural sense ("Germany have defeated Norway two-nil") where American broadcasters don't.

For the record, I should've made an exception about the Chicago Fire. That is a great name in spite of its lack of plurality. Thanks to dsg for pointing that out. :D

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Ummm, in the early years of the NFL, there were a few singular nicknames - the Racine Legion and the Providence Steamroller.  I read somewhere that the owner of the Providence club, an English professor, made it clear that sports nicknames should be singular, since they are a SINGLE unit, made up of individuals, on line with the Whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

You're right. There were singular nicknames in the NFL. Currently, there are none, which is what I wrote.

European commentators blur the line further by referring to national teams in the plural sense ("Germany have defeated Norway two-nil") where American broadcasters don't.

For the record, I should've made an exception about the Chicago Fire. That is a great name in spite of its lack of plurality. Thanks to dsg for pointing that out. :D

You're right. European commentators don't just do that with national teams- they do it with clubs to. . .

IN US WE"D SAY- Southampton has beaten Man U.

IN UK THEY"D SAY- Southhampton have beaten Man U.

IN REALITY WE"D SAY- not bloody likely.

fade.gif

My apology to the forum.. I am new to this and I'll take the advice given. I'll try to educate

myself on a topic before I spout off. I simply didn't consider NASCAR in the same way I con-

sider the NBA, MLB or other team sports. Real Salt Lake just doesn't work the same as say

the UPS car in Nascar. Sorry for coming on too strong.

a note about the chivas usa - it's NOT named after the alcoholic drink. The team in LA is named (and owned by) after the Mexican club CD Guadalajara. That's the official club name - Club Deportivo de Guadalajara. They're nicknamed Las Chivas (the Goats) I think (and once again, correct me if I'm wrong) either because they had a goat mascot or were nicknamed by rival club America's fans. So the club CD Guadalajara is more commonly known as Chivas Guadalajara or simply Chivas. So in bringing the club to MLS, the owner decided to officially name the club CD Chivas USA (Sporting Club Goats USA).

OD_Signature.jpg

My apology to the forum.. I am new to this and I'll take the advice given. I'll try to educate

myself on a topic before I spout off. I simply didn't consider NASCAR in the same way I con-

sider the NBA, MLB or other team sports. Real Salt Lake just doesn't work the same as say

the UPS car in Nascar. Sorry for coming on too strong.

but what does real salt lake have to do with corporate sponsorship? that's where you're losing me.

traditional soccer/football style names aren't bad. there are a few good ones. i really like fc dallas and chivas usa, and dc united...

i'd also have no problems with houston 1836... and barely have a problem with houston dynamo. (though i'm still not sure how i'm supposed to pronounce that... is it deenamo, like dynamo moscow or dynamo riga? or die-namo?)

i've got no problems with you hating on some of the team names, but your reasoning is off. hate red bull new york. hate real salt lake. but don't hate them because the names are too european. hate them because they're awful team names. i can think of several european style names that would work wonderfully in the USA.

i've got no problems with you hating on some of the team names, but your reasoning is off. hate red bull new york. hate real salt lake. but don't hate them because the names are too european. hate them because they're awful team names. i can think of several european style names that would work wonderfully in the USA.

yeah, an example is how much better (and fitting) "Salt Lake Wanderers" or "Salt Lake Rovers" would've been than Real Salt Lake. and just as in America, most of the european names are based off of places - all of the English Premier League teams are named after districts or cities except for Arsenal - though there are as many exceptions to that rule (Philips SV Eindhoven, which was originally the Philips electronics company's workers club) in Europe as there are in the US (Green Bay Packers anyone?).

harperdc.gif

yeah, an example is how much better (and fitting) "Salt Lake Wanderers" or "Salt Lake Rovers" would've been than Real Salt Lake. and just as in America, most of the european names are based off of places - all of the English Premier League teams are named after districts or cities except for Arsenal - though there are as many exceptions to that rule (Philips SV Eindhoven, which was originally the Philips electronics company's workers club) in Europe as there are in the US (Green Bay Packers anyone?).

Aren't Eindhoven and Green Bay ciites? I know the "PSV" and "Packers" parts are derived from the businesses that founded the teams, but the city names are integral parts of the packages (at least at this point they are).

And I agree that Wanderers would have been perfect in Salt Lake.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived