A New Look For UConn?

The Swamp Yankee

In both of their NCAA Tournament games, UConn wore their throwback jerseys. (I think from the early 90's) Even towards the end of the season it seemed like they were wearing them a lot more than their more modern jerseys. Does anyone know if this will become a full time look for them? Although their modern jerseys are alright, the throwbacks are a real classic look for one of college basketball's top programs. This is Rudy Gay against Kentucky in them during their recent Tourny game. t1_0319_uk.uconn_ap.jpg

As a Huskies fan, I most certainly hope they do.

Their current look is pretty sharp, in my opinion, but these throwbacks just blow it out of the water. I would love to see a set in blue.

Not very often (see: never) do I see a basketball jersey and want to buy it... I definetely want to buy this one.

IUe6Hvh.png

They should have never gone away from this design.

If I'm forced to watch Uconn thoguhout this tournament , i'd much rather see them in the "old design.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

i assume that the reason they are wearing them is strictly players choice.

they are still throwbacks since they have worn their normal blue uniforms, but the last 5 games that they have worn white, its been the d. marshall/r. allen jersey.

although these uniforms represent their true school colors (no red), im not so sure they will stick with them full time/next year since the university just spent millions on rebranding and have been putting their font on every team, making sure their brand is complete through all the athletic program.

i love both uni's and have been a hard-core husky fan since 1988.

i assume that the reason they are wearing them is strictly players choice.

they are still throwbacks since they have worn their normal blue uniforms, but the last 5 games that they have worn white, its been the d. marshall/r. allen jersey.

although these uniforms represent their true school colors (no red), im not so sure they will stick with them full time/next year since the university just spent millions on rebranding and have been putting their font on every team, making sure their brand is complete through all the athletic program.

i love both uni's and have been a hard-core husky fan since 1988.

Too bad neither Donyell nor Ray wore these duds...it's more like the Chris Smith/Rod Sellars bouncing Christian Effing Laettner's Head Off Of The Silverdome Court jerseys...

Always thought the 90-91 set (which is what the throwbacks are) were the best of the lot that UConn wore until the current set came into being (that being said, I liked it better when BOTH the white and navy had "CONNECTICUT" on it).

Seeing that the men's hoops team is the lone holdout with any red on the jersey (every other team in Storrs has ditched it for the "National Flag Blue" & silver combo), I guess it's only a matter of time before we see another change.

This style would be pretty nice, even with the new font...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Too bad neither Donyell nor Ray wore these duds...it's more like the Chris Smith/Rod Sellars bouncing Christian Effing Laettner's Head Off Of The Silverdome Court jerseys...

Always thought the 90-91 set (which is what the throwbacks are) were the best of the lot that UConn wore until the current set came into being (that being said, I liked it better when BOTH the white and navy had "CONNECTICUT" on it).

Didn't the Chris Smith era jerseys have red on them? Similar look to the throwbacks, but a little red in the vertical side stripes...?

And I agree HCE that the current set looked a whole lot better with "Connecticut" on both white and navy.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Didn't the Chris Smith era jerseys have red on them? Similar look to the throwbacks, but a little red in the vertical side stripes...?

And I agree HCE that the current set looked a whole lot better with "Connecticut" on both white and navy.

They did in 91-92 (Smitty's senior year). Also, the striping that year was more a vertical one than one that had the outside stripes on the side turn into the trim on the shorts.

The throwbacks the Huskies have been sporting of late are 90-91, the year after the "Dream Season"...personally, I've been kinda itching to see if they'd ever bring THOSE back (and if they did, they'd better make darn sure they have the Dunking Husky on the shorts :lol: )

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Personally, I like the throwbacks.

Here's the reason I think you'll see them for the rest of the tourney.

At the end of the season, it seemed that UConn was wearing the throwbacks as their home uniform.

Then, in their only game in the Big East Tournament, UConn wore the modern/current uniforms.

Fast forward to last Friday, UConn comes out in the throwbacks. Wins Friday and Sunday. If I'm them, I roll with the throwbacks.

As a Georgetown fan, I know too much about UConn's uniforms.

I like that they are true to the schools official colors (no arbitrary red trim) but I think their uniforms should say UCONN and not Connecticut. Nobody calls them Connecticut, everyone knows them as UCONN, plus Connecticut is kind of long to fit on a jersey. I have the same problem with the football Uni's. Put UCONN on them.

I hope Alabama stays with the jerseys they wore.

I know the players want to wear them again. They(along with most of us)hated the new Nike designed jerseys that most(if not all) Nike teams are wearing now. They hated the way the jersey's yoke was way too close to their throats alomost feeling like they were suffocating them. Also,they hated how wide the sleeves were.

2qluyo7.png

from today's courant:

What's Outside That Counts

Throwbacks Have Been Perfect Choice

By DESMOND CONNER, Courant Staff Writer

March 26, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Spike Lee - well, his alter ego, Mars Blackmon - always used to say "It's the shoes" when referring to Michael Jordan's aerial talents. If the UConn Huskies win the national championship they might say "It's the throwback uniforms."

UConn followers have been wondering why the Huskies have gone to wearing uniforms very similar to ones worn in 1990-91, white with blue trim and "Connecticut" in blue block letters across the chest.

The bottom line is, they haven't lost a game in them. It's a serious superstition now. And UConn coach Jim Calhoun is a very superstitious man.

The Huskies, 30-3 and playing George Mason today for their third trip to the Final Four, wore their road blue uniforms in losses at Marquette and Villanova, and wore their white jerseys that read "UConn" across the chest in a Big East tournament loss to Syracuse.

"We haven't lost in them yet, the throwbacks," Marcus Williams said. "After we lost in the Big East, I know I told the equipment manager to pack up the throwbacks. We're not wearing the other ones again this whole season."

The new jerseys seem to be a good fit.

"The throwbacks?" Josh Boone said. "Yeah, I like those better than the other unis. They're just different. They look like the old-school thing and that's one of the big things nowadays. They're bigger, too, definitely bigger and the shorts are longer. That's always a plus."

Two years ago, when the Huskies wanted to produce a new uniform, they went with the throwback look.

"So we went back in our files and looked at pictures and everybody agreed that the classic uniform that everyone liked was the uniform that was worn for two years, 1990-91 and '91-'92 and it's the one they're wearing now," said Tim Tolokan, who as associate director of athletics for licensing and athletic traditions helped make the decision. "Jim was in agreement that it was a good-looking uniform. So what happens is Nike produced it, the uniform comes in and so now you have to decide, `OK, when do you wear it?"'

The Huskies broke it out last season against North Carolina at the Civic Center. They lost and it did not surface again that season.

"Superstition," Tolokan said. "We never wore it again. But they reproduced it this year and we wore it for the first time against Morehead State, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame. ... This year we won in them. When you win in them there's a chance you'll wear them again.

"We wore the ones that say `UConn' across the chest to New York [big East tournament], as the high seed, and we lost. So the chances of wearing the `UConn' ones again were slim and none, and slim left town. But I think what's just as important, the kids love them."

The top seed in each region gets to pick its uniform for each game. But the NCAA also seeded the No. 1 seeds. Since UConn was second among the No. 1 seeds, and top seed overall Duke has been eliminated, the Huskies will be able to stay with their lucky uniforms no matter how far they go.

"I love 'em," Rashad Anderson said. "We need to keep 'em goin'. We don't need to go back to the other ones."

I haven't seen the blue ones yet, maybe we'll see them later in the tournament?

I don't believe so. They should be listed as the home team for the remainder of the tournament. I think the only team that they would have been the 'away team' against would've been Duke. I think that's how it works, anyway -- based on seeding.

IUe6Hvh.png

That is correct, but since they are the home team, they have the choice to wear their blues if they'd like. I believe that's how it works in the NCAA tournament.

The only thing I know for sure is that they are the home team fro the reaminder of the tournament, in any of their games.

Archived