Mismatching Logos / Team Names

hawk36

Ever since the new Padres' identity was unveiled, I have had problems with it due to the fact that the identity has nothing to do with the team name, Padres. Are there any other teams in pro sports that do this similar thing of having a clear graphic identity (waves) that has nothing to do with the mascot (Spanish Priest)? Here is my list:

- San Diego Chargers (lightning instead of a horse)

- Dallas Cowboys (star instead of something cowboy)

more...?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- San Diego Chargers (lightning instead of a horse)

- Dallas Cowboys (star instead of something cowboy)

more...?

I disagree. A Charger could be represented by an electric charge, while one of the most distinguish-able icons of a cowboy would be his star/Sheriff's star badge. Just because teams have had a logo representing a variation of a name doesn't mean they can't change it to a different variation. (The Chargers used to have a horse logo, while the Cowboys used to have a horse-riding cowboy as their's.)

...while one of the most distinguish-able icons of a cowboy would be his star/Sheriff's star badge...

Lawmakers of the old West weren't cowboys per se.

The Cowboys' star logo is and always has been, somewhat of a reach.

They couldn't come up with anything appropriate back in 1960, so they went with a star. Maybe for the Lone Star State, I guess.

The Houston Texans' logo would actually be more appropriate for the Cowboys.

Seattle Supersonics

Asheville Tourists

Spokane Indians

Oakland A's????

LA Dodgers???

Utah Jazz

Chicago White Sox

Colorado Crush

Denver Nuggets

A's stands for Athletics. What's the logo issue?

Dodgers is for Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers. That was the original nickname.

Utah Jazz was from New Orleans, and the logo was originally a music note.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

Seattle Supersonics

Asheville Tourists

Spokane Indians

Oakland A's????

LA Dodgers???

Utah Jazz

Chicago White Sox

Colorado Crush

Denver Nuggets

Seattle Supersonics: Logo shows a skyline of Seattle, including the Space Needle. The Space Needle was built as a symbol to Seattle's involvement in the Space industry. Supersonic means really fast, as fast a rocket. The logo combines the city of the team, with the symbol most closely recognized with the nickname.

Asheville Tourists. It's the logo with the bear in a Hawaiian shirt, right? The stereotypical picture of a Tourist.

Utah Jazz. Logo used to include a music note.

Chicago White Sox. One of the secondary logos is a white sock.

Denver Nuggets. Secondary logo includes a pick-axe, the tool of a gold prospector.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The cowboys originally were black farmhands in the carolinas before stretching across into mexico. Anywho, the star sorta makes sense, as it's the Lone Star State, and the general cowboy term has come to encompass the entire hat-wearing population of the old west, which featured star-toting lawmen.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I guess I was more so asking about a logo that is one mascot/thing and a mascot/name that is a different thing. This would be excluding the teams like the Lakers who show a type of ball they use in their sport in leu of their mascot. There are a lot of those, I agree, but they at least don't show a mascot/thing that is something other than their sport or name.

Here is what I mean:

Acceptable (can live with)

Seattle Supersonics - S with a basketball (no airplane but they do use a basketball)

Not Acceptable

Seattle Supersonics - Space Needle (neither an airplane nor a basketball, something completely different)

Seattle Supersonics - S with a basketball (no airplane but they do use a basketball)

Not Acceptable

Seattle Supersonics - Space Needle (neither an airplane nor a basketball, something completely different)

Why does "SuperSonic" have to have an airplane in the logo? SuperSonic does refer to the spae industry as well. How would you describe how fast rockets can fly?

I don't think Seattle is a good example for your argument. I'm not saying there aren't teams that fit your argument, but I don't think the SuperSonics are one of them.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Not Acceptable

Why does "SuperSonic" have to have an airplane in the logo? SuperSonic does refer to the spae industry as well. How would you describe how fast rockets can fly?

I don't think Seattle is a good example for your argument. I'm not saying there aren't teams that fit your argument, but I don't think the SuperSonics are one of them.

OK, I guess I see a Supersonic as something that travels at supersonic speed (airplane, rocket, etc.), not a building or fixed structure.

How about:

Utah Jazz - Music note J (at least has something to do with Jazz music even if in Utah)

Not Acceptable

Utah Jazz - Mountains (has nothing to do with Jazz music or basketball)

Ottawa Senators :wub:

Once upon a time (7th Grade!) I mailed the Sens a letter asking where did the original itineration get the name Senators. I really didn't get an answer, but I did get a ton of free stuff from them, along with an autographed picture of Alexander Daigle (hehe ^_^ ) and an honourary membership in the Sens' Jr. Fan Club. Oh well, I didn't get a straight answer, but they got a fan for life out of me!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Not Acceptable

OK, I guess I see a Supersonic as something that travels at supersonic speed (airplane, rocket, etc.), not a building or fixed structure.

How about:

Utah Jazz - Music note J (at least has something to do with Jazz music even if in Utah)

Not Acceptable

Utah Jazz - Mountains (has nothing to do with Jazz music or basketball)

I'm sorry, I still think you're reaching there.

The mountain logo makes perfect sense for the Utah Jazz.

The Space Needle makes perfect sense for the Seattle Supersonics.

The problem I have with the Padres' waves is that they're so generic. Half the teams in the league could lay claim to being near a body of water - there's nothing in those waves that's uniquely San Diego.

I know the astros logo currently is a star, but it has a railroad station color theme and logo style. Please tell me what a railroad station and brick red and coal black have to do with the space program?

That's always bothered me.

Once they decided not to go through with the name change, they had a serious discrepancy between the team name and the logo/color scheme/stadium.

They should have either pulled the trigger on the new name, or skipped the Olde Weste elements. They don't work together. I love the star, but the rest is incongruous.

I know the astros logo currently is a star, but it has a railroad station color theme and logo style. Please tell me what a railroad station and brick red and coal black have to do with the space program?

That's always bothered me.

Once they decided not to go through with the name change, they had a serious discrepancy between the team name and the logo/color scheme/stadium.

They should have either pulled the trigger on the new name, or skipped the Olde Weste elements. They don't work together. I love the star, but the rest is incongruous.

IMO they should have stayed with the late 90's navy and gold set.

People are forgetting that half the team name is its location, so a space needle for a Seattle team, or a mountain range for Utah, makes perfect sense.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Star works for the Cowboys since it is the symbol of Texas.

The Padres is the worse waves for the Padres bring back the swinging Firar taht was their best ever logo.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I believe in the case of the Seattle SuperSonics, that the team was named for a Boeing plane that was to be called , "The SuperSonic". I could be wrong, and I don't know if that particular plane was ever put into production. Or, it could have been just any model of Boeing jet.

The Sonics' original logo did feature an airplane, I think.

Silver Shamrock

The Cleveland Browns logo, any of them!

The dog logo that they don't use any more only symbolized the raging loonies in the drunk end of the stadium. The elf, or gremlin, or what ever the hell that thing was, has less to do with being brown than the keyboard I am typing on. Their logo should be a picture of Paul Brown, or I'd even take Jim Brown, how about Charlie Brown? (I am a Steelers fan, so I might be a bit biased.)

Archived