Mismatching Logos / Team Names

hawk36

OK, OK... I'll buy a star meaning texas. But it certainly doesnt mean Dallas in particular, and it certainly doesnt mean Cowboy. There is another Texas team, so why does one city's team get the whole state's slogan? If the Texans and Cowboys swapped logos, they would both make more sense.

The star was a lame icon for a team with a nickname so ripe for creatvie ideas for a logo.

But, to the original poster's point, a Star is not a cowboy. Period.

While some other logos fit their city or state more so than their mascot, the point of THIS thread was to point out logos that didn't picture or image their actual nickname or mascot.

The mountains for the Jazz is an example of what he said - a logo that isnt the team nickname.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Star works for the Cowboys since it is the symbol of Texas.

The Padres is the worse waves for the Padres bring back the swinging Firar taht was their best ever logo.

That brown and yellow mustard combo in the late 70s early 80s is easily one of the worst uni's in modern baseball history. maybe up there with the White Sox shorts (what WERE they thinking,) the all-red Indians (Frank Robinson was once described as 'looking like a blood clot,') and the all-yellow Pirates.

OK, OK... I'll buy a star meaning texas. But it certainly doesnt mean Dallas in particular

i'm going to have to disagree with you there...

every sports team in dallas wears a star on the uniforms. there is a star on the city flag. stars and dallas go hand-in-hand...

it may also represent the state, but to say it doesn't represent the city in particular wouldn't be correct, imo.

Let's clear everything up here, even though it really has nothing to do with the topic. The original SuperSonics logo did indeed have a jet-like feel in it.

b7a86680.gif

Here's why:

Seattle's NBA franchise selected its team name through a public contest that generated more than 25,000 ideas. The winning entry was a sign of the times with more than 200 submittals with the name "SuperSonics." During the 1960s, The Boeing Company had announced its proposal to build a Concorde-style jet known as the SuperSonic Transport. Though the plan to roll out the conceptualized aircraft never happened, the name had a lasting effect on the public.In the end, local school teacher Howard E. Schmidt and his son Brent were credited with originating "SuperSonics" as the club's name. They won the competition by submitting the first entry suggesting "SuperSonics" -- the organization's final choice for its moniker. Although the team is often referred to as the "Sonics," the official name of the franchise remains "SuperSonics."

You can read about the Boeing project here:

http://unrealaircraft.com/classics/sst.php

The Cleveland Browns logo, any of them!

The dog logo that they don't use any more only symbolized the raging loonies in the drunk end of the stadium. The elf, or gremlin, or what ever the hell that thing was, has less to do with being brown than the keyboard I am typing on. Their logo should be a picture of Paul Brown, or I'd even take Jim Brown, how about Charlie Brown? (I am a Steelers fan, so I might be a bit biased.)

*ahem*... how would one represent owner and coach Paul Brown? by wearing brown - maybe the best example ever of team representation because it's an indelible abstract. and the elf thing? that's a brownie. granted, it's not chocolatey and warm and delicious with milk, but the sprite-like creature is a play on the team name.

I know the astros logo currently is a star, but it has a railroad station color theme and logo style. Please tell me what a railroad station and brick red and coal black have to do with the space program?

That's always bothered me.

Once they decided not to go through with the name change, they had a serious discrepancy between the team name and the logo/color scheme/stadium.

They should have either pulled the trigger on the new name, or skipped the Olde Weste elements. They don't work together. I love the star, but the rest is incongruous.

I know that I missed this one, what were they going to change the name to?

OK, OK... I'll buy a star meaning texas. But it certainly doesnt mean Dallas in particular

every sports team in dallas wears a star on the uniforms. there is a star on the city flag. stars and dallas go hand-in-hand...

it may also represent the state, but to say it doesn't represent the city in particular wouldn't be correct, imo.

OK, so lets discuss. :)

Texas is the Lone Star State. I think most people know that. Dallas' slogan is 'Live Large. Think Big.' I'm pretty sure most people don't know that. So hows that make Dallas particularly fitting for a star?

I take your point that all Dallas teams have stars (really? I never noticed) Though, to be fair, The rangers havent used a star since 2001. Plus, they are the freakin Rangers... thats a cop, and stars go with cops FAR better than they go with cowboys. I wouldnt exactly say the Mavs star is incredibly featured, and the Stars are as much a hommage to the North Stars as they are to the lone star state.

I think that many sports teams in texas use stars, but I dont see the particular connection to Dallas. Houstons baseball and football teams use stars, and San Antonio's basketball team does. (For that matter, so do Philliadelphia's, Washington's, Orlando's and the NBA finals logo. Not particularly Dallas)

City flags in Texas with a star: Allen, Arlington, Baytown, Corpus Christi, Denison, Duncanville, Garland, Georgetown, Grapevine, Greenville, Houston, Lubbock, Murphy, Plano, Richland Hills, San Antonio, plus just about every county flag.

The Three main cities in Texas, Dallas, Houston (both with NFL) and San Antonio (potentially NFL) have the exact same size and positioning of star on their city flags. I'd say thats sufficient to negate your city flag arguement.

Overall, I'd say that Dallas is perfectly fine being associated with a star, but not when comparing to other Texas cities. Thereby, I again put forth, the star does not mean Dallas. It may allude to Texas, but not Dallas instead of Houston, San Antonio or any other texas city.

(your turn. :P )

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The Boston Bruins spoked logo has nothing to do with bears

The Bufflo Sabres logo has nothing to do with swords

The Columbus Blue Jackets logo is a complete mess

The Philadelphia Flyers logo is abstract and unique, but there's no plane

The Washington Capitals home logo is a flying eagle and not a large rotunda

The Milwaukee Brewers logo has nothing to do with beer

The Minnesota Twins logo is just one

The Texas Rangers logo is a big T and not a ranger

The San Francisco Giants logo isn't all that big

The logos of the New York Knicks and Detroit Pistons logo are just as worthless as the Lakers' and Clippers'.

The New Orleans Saint logo is a fleur-de-lis, but not a saint

I was going to include the Buffalo Bills and how their namesake is Wild Bill Hickok, but then I realized he killed a lot of buffalo. If you think about it, that's just awful.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

PAdres alt uni's have a swinging friar on the sleeve (at least last season, and i'll assume this too) was at a game when they wore them, no arguments!

Bruins and Sabres have a bear and a sword on the 2ndary logos.....

Caps and Brewers have tenuous links....Caps logo on home is an eagle (an internationally recognised symbol of the USA) and Washignton is the capital, so it makes sense (also there appears to be a large rotunda on the front of their road uni's.....) Brewers script is in a sort of generic Beer style writing (think Budweier, or Miller) and they have wheat in the logo (an ingredient in the brewing process?) and the state on Wisconsin which fufils the secondary desire to either represent team name or location (Buffalo works like this too, using the head of a Buffalo to symbolise location, not team) as does the NO logo, the fleur-de-lis representing the French connection to the city, of which i'm sure your aware

The Boston Bruins spoked logo has nothing to do with bears

The Bufflo Sabres logo has nothing to do with swords

The Columbus Blue Jackets logo is a complete mess

The Philadelphia Flyers logo is abstract and unique, but there's no plane

The Washington Capitals home logo is a flying eagle and not a large rotunda

The Minnesota Twins logo is just one

The Texas Rangers logo is a big T and not a ranger

The San Francisco Giants logo isn't all that big

The logos of the New York Knicks and Detroit Pistons logo are just as worthless as the Lakers' and Clippers'.

The New Orleans Saint logo is a fleur-de-lis, but not a saint

I was going to include the Buffalo Bills and how their namesake is Wild Bill Hickok, but then I realized he killed a lot of buffalo. If you think about it, that's just awful.

I thought the Flyers was a winged "P".

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

OK, so lets discuss. :)

Texas is the Lone Star State. I think most people know that. Dallas' slogan is 'Live Large. Think Big.' I'm pretty sure most people don't know that. So hows that make Dallas particularly fitting for a star?

I take your point that all Dallas teams have stars (really? I never noticed) Though, to be fair, The rangers havent used a star since 2001. Plus, they are the freakin Rangers... thats a cop, and stars go with cops FAR better than they go with cowboys. I wouldnt exactly say the Mavs star is incredibly featured, and the Stars are as much a hommage to the North Stars as they are to the lone star state.

I think that many sports teams in texas use stars, but I dont see the particular connection to Dallas. Houstons baseball and football teams use stars, and San Antonio's basketball team does. (For that matter, so do Philliadelphia's, Washington's, Orlando's and the NBA finals logo. Not particularly Dallas)

City flags in Texas with a star: Allen, Arlington, Baytown, Corpus Christi, Denison, Duncanville, Garland, Georgetown, Grapevine, Greenville, Houston, Lubbock, Murphy, Plano, Richland Hills, San Antonio, plus just about every county flag.

The Three main cities in Texas, Dallas, Houston (both with NFL) and San Antonio (potentially NFL) have the exact same size and positioning of star on their city flags. I'd say thats sufficient to negate your city flag arguement.

Overall, I'd say that Dallas is perfectly fine being associated with a star, but not when comparing to other Texas cities. Thereby, I again put forth, the star does not mean Dallas. It may allude to Texas, but not Dallas instead of Houston, San Antonio or any other texas city.

(your turn. :P )

all good points, i suppose.

definately well thought out, and with effort.

but i'm just speaking as someone from the dallas area. to me, stars represent the city... and make for a perfectly acceptable logo choice for the dallas cowboys... which is the subject that started the whole thing.

There's a ton of them. Off the top of my head:

New York Rangers

Montreal Canadiens

Boston Bruins

New York Knicks

Chicago White Sox (Ok, their logo has a white sock in it, but they WEAR black socks!)

And so on.

How about any team from New Orleans (albeit, only 3...)

Saints = Fleur de lis... symbol of the city, original - I mean, how many other football teams have a flower on their helmet?

Hornets = sure, the city has hornets, but not indicative to the city... oh, wait, wrong topic, huh...

Zephyrs = a nutria... a big rat that burrows into the levees and weakens them (no wonder the city flooded); but, then, I suppose a mountain wind is hard to conceptualize (sp) in a lil cartoon mascot...

Packers? Trailblazers? Jazz? Lakers? Nets? Phillies?

but i'm just speaking as someone from the dallas area. to me, stars represent the city... and make for a perfectly acceptable logo choice for the dallas cowboys... which is the subject that started the whole thing.

Did you just go, "cause i like it" on me? How am I gonna debate that? :P

A star is not a coyboy and it is not specific to dallas, so I say; bad logo.

ΓΔΒ!

I think many are missing my original point (not that that's bad as it sparks many avenues of discussion). Although the Cowboys star IS Texas, in my opinion, the point is that it has nothing to do with cowboys.

I just think that it's lame to create a design that has everything to do with the city or region and has absolutely nothing to do with the mascot. Padres could have waves AND missions and it would be fine. But to have only waves is the easy way out for the designers.

What if:

- Detroit Lions used a car logo instead of a lion?

- Philadelphia Eagles used the Liberty Bell instead of an eagle?

- Washington Redskins used the Capitol Building instead of a Native American?

- St. Louis Rams used only the arch without the ram?

Wouldn't we agree that this is only designing half of the project and thus doing a poor job as a designer?

Last time I checked, wheat and/or grain had quite a bit to do with beer, being that beer would not exist without it and all.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived