Mismatching Logos / Team Names

hawk36

The Star works for the Cowboys since it is the symbol of Texas.

The Padres is the worse waves for the Padres bring back the swinging Firar taht was their best ever logo.

They still use the swinging friar, just as a secondary logo. It's on the sleeve of the navy alt jersey as well. The current friar isn't as cool as the original that they stopped using in '85. I agree, the primary logo is kind of generic. A good logo was the one they used for the 35th anniversary. It was home plate shaped, but the top had a mission style to it with the friar on top.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quick point of curiosity: off top of your heads, do any1 know whether nor not there's a thread in this forum about how college nicknames came about? I know the story of a few. Would be an interesting read for me and I'm sure a few others.

It has come up in the past (last fall/winter maybe), but after a QUICK search, I couldn't find anything. Maybe somebody else remembers the thread.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Cleveland Browns logo, any of them! 

The dog logo that they don't use any more only symbolized the raging loonies in the drunk end of the stadium.  The elf, or gremlin, or what ever the hell that thing was, has less to do with being brown than the keyboard I am typing on.  Their logo should be a picture of Paul Brown, or I'd even take Jim Brown, how about Charlie Brown?    (I am a Steelers fan, so I might be a bit biased.)

*ahem*... how would one represent owner and coach Paul Brown? by wearing brown - maybe the best example ever of team representation because it's an indelible abstract. and the elf thing? that's a brownie. granted, it's not chocolatey and warm and delicious with milk, but the sprite-like creature is a play on the team name.

In regards to the little elf guy the Browns used, it does actually relate to the team name. There was a uni-watch article a few months back that discussed it. I don't remember the specifics, but apparently a Brownie is another name for an Elf or something like that. This is from Wikipedia.com: A brownie, brounie/Urisk (Lowland Scots) or ùruisg/brùnaidh (Scottish Gaelic) is a legendary kind of elf popular in folklore around Scotland and England.

In regards to the little elf guy the Browns used, it does actually relate to the team name. There was a uni-watch article a few months back that discussed it. I don't remember the specifics, but apparently a Brownie is another name for an Elf or something like that. This is from Wikipedia.com: A brownie, brounie/Urisk (Lowland Scots) or ùruisg/brùnaidh (Scottish Gaelic) is a legendary kind of elf popular in folklore around Scotland and England.

The Browns are in interesting one made difficult since they are actually named Browns for a person, Paul Brown, and not the color (ie. Univ of Chicago Maroons). That being said, it could be argued that they should, in fact, use a likeness of Paul Brown (see Patriots, Redskins, Indians, etc.). Doesn't have to be cartoonish, but using a guy.

Would be kind of cool to use a sillouette of Brown in his hat and trench coat.

In regards to the little elf guy the Browns used, it does actually relate to the team name.  There was a uni-watch article a few months back that discussed it.  I don't remember the specifics, but apparently a Brownie is another name for an Elf or something like that.  This is from Wikipedia.com: A brownie, brounie/Urisk (Lowland Scots) or ùruisg/brùnaidh (Scottish Gaelic) is a legendary kind of elf popular in folklore around Scotland and England.

The Browns are in interesting one made difficult since they are actually named Browns for a person, Paul Brown, and not the color (ie. Univ of Chicago Maroons). That being said, it could be argued that they should, in fact, use a likeness of Paul Brown (see Patriots, Redskins, Indians, etc.). Doesn't have to be cartoonish, but using a guy.

Why does every team have to have a literal logo? Seems to me the abstract ones are some of the best.

Nah, people would think it was Bear Bryant :)

Seriously, the Brown family probably wouldn't permit it; PB himself was always bitter about getting thrown out by Modell and the family ID's more with the Bengals.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Why does every team have to have a literal logo? Seems to me the abstract ones are some of the best.

I don't mind abstract. I agree that it can be great. I just don't like the logo/mascot portraying one specific thing while the name of the team is a completely different specific thing. In the Browns case, there can be an argument made either way so... I guess I'd have to say I don't have a problem with the Browns.

• 4 months later...

more...?

I disagree. A Charger could be represented by an electric charge, while one of the most distinguish-able icons of a cowboy would be his star/Sheriff's star badge. Just because teams have had a logo representing a variation of a name doesn't mean they can't change it to a different variation. (The Chargers used to have a horse logo, while the Cowboys used to have a horse-riding cowboy as their's.)

I have a book on the history of the Dallas Cowboys and they were originally going to call the team the "Rangers" (one other name was considered also but it escapes me) but didn't because of a local minor league baseball team in the area with that name. The star was originally meant to represent a badge. They changed the name at the last minute and even Landry didn't know about the change until after it was made.

That right there is why literal logos sometimes really suck. If no such thing as a golden gopher exists (or a jazz or a phillie or a brown) then you might want to tackle an abstract. Ball-in-glove, baby!!!

BTW, back a few: KC Wiz-Wizards/Kansas/Rainbow/Oz?

Just a thought.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

This guy's neither a gopher nor is he golden.

He's actually a tan ground squirrel, but that doesn't stop the University of Minnesota from using his likeness and seemingly infinite variations thereof.

gopherhockey-1.jpg

There have to be over a dozen Goldies, not just pictures but mascots.

I always thought the Trail Blazers logo was meant to be the kind of mark that someone would carve into a tree to mark the way when they Blaze a Trail.

I think the abstraction of the game of basketball is a justification about why that particular mark is used to blaze the trail. But the primary point of the logo is that it's the kind of mark that would mark a trail.

As for the old Ft Wayne Pistons logo; take one of those pistons that make up that robot guy's body, and turn it so you are facing the flat part;

I think the '80s Pistons logo makes a lot of sense. It is a piston on end inside a shaft; the red part is the piston and the blue part if the shaft the piston sits in. Then the red part is also a basketball, and DETROIT PISTONS is nicely tucked between the lines.

Those are the reasons that the old logo was a pretty good logo even if it was a little boring.

On the other hand, the current logo is just some words on top of a basketball. People liked it because it references the classic logo, but it removes all the meaning behind the old one.

Iuno if its been said the canucks logo has nothing to do with a canuck but alot to do with British COlumbia. The whales along the coast of BC are what the logo is for IMO.

Wrong. The owners of the Canucks, Orca Bay, uses a killer whale as its logo, and the navy/burgundy/silver color scheme.

And it sucks.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I think the '80s Pistons logo makes a lot of sense. It is a piston on end inside a shaft; the red part is the piston and the blue part if the shaft the piston sits in. Then the red part is also a basketball, and DETROIT PISTONS is nicely tucked between the lines.

Those are the reasons that the old logo was a pretty good logo even if it was a little boring.

Um...any proof? This is the first time I've heard that explanation. I think it was just suppose to be a basketball witth an outline and the team name.

Archived