Official NHL playoff thread

Shane Does Art

I believe the first shot came from bucfan, and the second from you.

He didnt take shots at anyone. You know how many people on here say they hate the Sharks and its not considered a "shot", yet the minute BucFan says he hates Canadian teams it is a shot?

Nope, don't agree with that at all.

I was simply using your own logic against you.

and you failed.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe the first shot came from bucfan, and the second from you.

He didnt take shots at anyone. You know how many people on here say they hate the Sharks and its not considered a "shot", yet the minute BucFan says he hates Canadian teams it is a shot?

Nope, don't agree with that at all.

I was simply using your own logic against you.

and you failed.

there's that logic again

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Accually no. They were there in the 04 season vs Calgary. But yeah, it would still be awesome. An all California West woulf for sure take it to the next level.

Well, it is easy to forget the '04 season because of the strike, ya know.

But, yeah. An all-California final would be great on so many levels. You have a north vs. south battle between a team with two great scoring threats in Cheechoo and Thornton against a team who are following the same script from the '03 season, just with a different man behing the pipes.

All Canadian/American counter-attacks aside...

The result of the Buffalo-Ottawa series really surprised me. 4-1 wow. I thought Buffalo would have a shot a winning, but I wan't expecting them to win in five. But considering the way the games went, three OT results, it really could have easily been Ottawa winning in five.

I was hoping the Devils would be the favourite to win it all after the first round, but with Canes really look good right now. It would be tough for me to pick in a series between Buffalo and Carolina because of the speed that each team possess.

As for San Jose - Edmonton. The big question is whether the Sharks can regroup after what happened in game 4, letting in five straight goals.

I saw, I came, I left.

I honestly didnt really mean that as a shot. I simply stated how I feel.

It shouldnt be considered a shot, because Ive seen much worse said by other users on here that are so convinently overlooked.

i said i didn't consider it a shot, i said i was using your own logic against you...

which is funny how if somebody says they don't like barry bonds you block them and attack them for months, yet someone says they don't like any teams from a particular nation and it's a-okay to you.

i dont care who likes what team, anyone can cheer for whoever they want, and that's the way it is

---

Chris Creamer

which is funny how if somebody says they don't like barry bonds you block them and attack them for months.

not those who dont like barry bonds. those who wish him physical harm when if the same thing was said to them by another member here, they would want that person banned.

but thats off topic anyways

which is funny how if somebody says they don't like barry bonds you block them and attack them for months.

not those who dont like barry bonds. those who wish him physical harm when if the same thing was said to them by another member here, they would want that person banned.

but thats off topic anyways

Yes, off-topic indeed... I think we are referring to seperate incidents or I was misinformed about "happenin's"

---

Chris Creamer

Well, they could win it this year. You never know.

As for this arguement, I am not obilged to give respect to the older teams, or any team for that matter, unless they earn it. Also, those in warmer cilmate cities have just as knowledgable hockey fans as those up north. To say that San Jose doesn't deserve respect is far beyond stupid. It's down right retarded.

If San Jose takes the next two against Edmonton, they'll be playing in the conference finals for the first time in franchise history. I don't care if it's the Sharks or if it's the freaking Blue Jackets, a team who can reach the NHL's Final Four has earned my respect (That, and they use teal. Teal is cool).

Are the Sharks good? Yes. And if they manage to win the Stanley Cup they will have earned respect. However as of NOW how many Cups do they have? How many Confernce titles do they have? Zero on both counts. They have history. Hell, a brand new team that plays one period has history. It is tradition that they don't have. And it's tradition that earns respect. The Sharks can have the greatest hockey team ever, but if they don't win at least a Confrence title, they don't have tradition. Tell me why I should respect the San Jose Sharks, who have never even been to the Stanley Cup finals, just as much as the Montreal Canadiens or Toronto Maple Leafs, who have won 24 and 13 Cups respectivly. Tell me, 'cause I want to know.

Brings me right into my next point:

To tell me, as a fan of a newer franchise in a warmer climate location, that I am "obligated" to respect these "older" teams when all I hear from the fans of these teams is how we are not a "cultured" enough fanbase and how we "have no history", is pompous and downright demeaning.

You know what you sound like? You sound like an ungreatful child, who's grandfather and father worked their asses off so you could have a better life.

If it wasn't for the Montreal Canadiens' 24 Stanley Cups, if it wasn't for the Toronto Maple Leafs being the first team to win the Cup back to back, if it wasn't for the Montreal Maroons and Detroit Red Wing playing OT well into the next morning for Lord Stanley's Cup, then you wouldn't have a team in San Jose, LA, Tampa Bay, Miami, or any other "unconventional" hockey market. The Original Six, the teams that came before, and most of the teams that came after during the 60's and 70's DESERVE your respect, because without those teams playing night in and night out, and without their loyal fans supporting them through thick and thin, there would be no San Jose Sharks.

As for your point about fans in newer markets not being cultered, well take it from someone who's been there. I havn't been to a Sharks game in SJ, so I'm not going to comment on your fan base. But I have been to Lightning games in TB, and I have been to Panthers games in Miami. Most of the fans that go to those games are either:

A)Looking for an excuse to drink

or

B)Bandwagon jumpers (mostly in Tampa Bay)

Either way, they both have one thing in common, most fans who go to those games have no clue about the game of hockey. Sure there are those fans who care for the game, but for the most part the fans are ill-informed. If SJ has a knowledgable fan base, and popular opinion seems to indicate that they do (despite a certin fan's sign during the '04 Western Confernce Finals against Calgary), then congradulations for learning and caring for the game. Trust me though, you are exception, not the rule.

And before anyone else tries to paint me as someone who never wants a southern team to win the cup, take note, 'cause if Edmonton is eliminated I'm throwing my support behind Carolina.

The important thing is that the series is tied 2-2 and picks back up tonight in SJ. Lets get ready for some really good hockey.

I agree. The Sharks/Oilers series has been the only one so far that's really captivating. Can't wait for more great hockey from these teams.

To tell me, as a fan of a newer franchise in a warmer climate location, that I am "obligated" to respect these "older" teams when all I hear from the fans of these teams is how we are not a "cultured" enough fanbase and how we "have no history", is pompous and downright demeaning.

You know what you sound like? You sound like an ungreatful child, who's grandfather and father worked their asses off so you could have a better life.

I'm not here to argue your intent, but I just want to point out something, if my memory is correct, I believe he had a deadbeat dad.

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm not here to argue your intent, but I just want to point out something, if my memory is correct, I believe he had a deadbeat dad.

I did not know that, and I deffently didn't intend for that be taken that way.

If it wasn't for the Montreal Canadiens' 24 Stanley Cups, if it wasn't for the Toronto Maple Leafs being the first team to win the Cup back to back, if it wasn't for the Montreal Maroons and Detroit Red Wing playing OT well into the next morning for Lord Stanley's Cup, then you wouldn't have a team in San Jose, LA, Tampa Bay, Miami, or any other "unconventional" hockey market.

The league was going to expand to Los Angeles regardless of 24 cups for Montreal (they only had like 17 at the time) or any of the other reasons you stated.

The only person Cali hockey fans really owe any debt to is Wayne Gretzky

---

Chris Creamer

If it wasn't for the Montreal Canadiens' 24 Stanley Cups, if it wasn't for the Toronto Maple Leafs being the first team to win the Cup back to back, if it wasn't for the Montreal Maroons and Detroit Red Wing playing OT well into the next morning for Lord Stanley's Cup, then you wouldn't have a team in San Jose, LA, Tampa Bay, Miami, or any other "unconventional" hockey market.

The league was going to expand to Los Angeles regardless of 24 cups for Montreal (they only had like 17 at the time) or any of the other reasons you stated.

The only person Cali hockey fans really owe any debt to is Wayne Gretzky

The NHL wouldn't have been in a position to expand if it wasn't for the Original 6, and the teams before them, who paved the way.

All though you do bring up a good point: it was the LA Kings who proved hockey could work in California, because the Seals sure didn't. So perhaps the Sharks should be greatful for the Kings and there success.

When the league expanded from 6 to 12 teams in 1967-68 the league's TV contract at the time mandated that they put two teams on the west coast. LA of course because it was the largest market. Then LA wanted a second team in California. So they Bay Area was a natural. Oakland Seals were born. Rumor has it that Vancouver was suppose to be the second west coast team but at the time Montreal & Toronto didn't want to share the CBC money. I don't think it's true, Vancouver just had a crappy ownership group at the time. The Canucks did join in 1970-71.

Exactly. The LA Kings drew well with a loaded roster and Bettman got the idea that any team could draw well anywhere.

FWIW, I don't resent San Jose being in the league. It's cities like Atlanta, Raleigh, Miami, Phoenix, and Nashville that I wish weren't hosting teams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Sharks deserve some respect they do have a great fan base, but until they get their name on a cup they have no accomplsihed any thing yet, and looking ta the team they should be able to contende for doing so in the next 5 years, but are they an elite NHL team yet? No.

Focus on the Sharks future not how they measure up to the past cornerstone franchises.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I can't wait for the day the Sharks win the Stanley Cup. It might even happen this year. Hell, the way this team is built, I feel that just one Stanley Cup out of this bunch wouldn't be enough. When it finally happens though, it will be a vindication for our fanbase and our city from all the low-brow taunting from fans of teams with "history".

:lol:

Just like the Panthers in 1996, Stars in 1999, Hurricanes in 2002, Mighty Ducks in 2003, Lightning in 2004. All large bandwagons in the sunbelt. I, like many Canadians, don't take you "fans" seriously.

And you seem to be jumping ahead of yourself, don't you think?

OilersSharks.png

teams-1.png

Archived