Blues Win NHL Draft Lottery

Shmee

Topic title says it all. In 39 years of NHL hockey, the St. Louis Blues have never been bad enough, even in their first season, to pick first in the NHL draft.

With just 57 points this season, good for worst in the league, the Blues earned a 25% chance of winning the draft lottery. As it worked out, they got the pick in a closed-door drawing at the league's NY offices.

Discuss.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

i read that they might trade tkachuk..since they are rebuilding..i don't think they should trade him...he's still good in my opinion..but maybe they can move some other ppl to get a bit more established...although they already traded alot of great players..there in a limbo...

joey

Well, I guess they didn't want the Pens to completetthe Malkin-Crosby-Kessel Hat Trick

Phil Kessel in a Blues uniform...I can see that. :hockeysmiley:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

i read that they might trade tkachuk..since they are rebuilding..i don't think they should trade him...he's still good in my opinion..but maybe they can move some other ppl to get a bit more established...although they already traded alot of great players..there in a limbo...

joey

They made the trades because the old owner decided he no longer wanted to spend money. <_<

Tkachuk has a no-trade clause and has been pretty adamant about not waiving it. I've heard rumors that Weight would resign with the Blues after the season as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They made the Cup Finals in their first couple of seasons

First 3

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

technically they didnt win the lottery. they just have a 1 in 4 shot at it.

nope. they won it today. it was held behind closed doors at the league's office without much fanfare for it. espn's has already reported the same story.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

There was a meeting with the old owners, new owners, Tkachuk, and GM Pleau today, too. Glad to here they picked up the option, and it probably means they'll be working on something long term.

The Weight thing isn't so much as rumor as it is a thought directly from him. After being traded he said he loved St. Louis and would be crazy to not give coming back a darn good look. We could use him back along with the young talent that's emerged and hopefully what we'll get in the draft. Factor in a couple nice FA signings, and I've got us back in the playoffs next year.

They made the Cup Finals in their first couple of seasons

First 3

Well the first 3 seasons of their existence the 6 expansion teams (Blues, Pens, Seals, North Stars, Flyers & Kings) all played in one division--so they had 5 teams to be worse than them right there.

The playoff format also meant an expansion team would be in the finals.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I think the blues should take Towes.

They need some scoring punch and towes is a pretty good player. Passsing up phil kessell will be the best thing they could ever do. Erik Johnson is a top notch player but they need scoring and with barrett jackman and backman they have a some good young defenders.

spacer.png

I think the blues should take Towes.

They need some scoring punch and towes is a pretty good player. Passsing up phil kessell will be the best thing they could ever do. Erik Johnson is a top notch player but they need scoring and with barrett jackman and backman they have a some good young defenders.

I think St. Louis should trade down and take Staal, Toews (good Winnipeg Mennonite), or Kessel.

This draft is fairly deep... anywhere 1-6 should yield you a similar quality player, and the rest of the field ain't too shabby either. Give a team with a definite defensive need a chance to pick Johnson #1 overall, and then grab Staal, Toews, or Kessell a few picks later.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Or perhaps Erik Johnson? St.Louis has a pretty small team so a guy like Johnson or Staal would help (both 6'4)

Good to see the draft in Vancouver this year. I expect to go to it. Which brings up the question: Has anybody ever been to an NHL draft?

2006 NHL Draft Prospects

This is a pretty good link to see prospect rankings but not to up-to-date.

Good to see the draft in Vancouver this year. I expect to go to it. Which brings up the question: Has anybody ever been to an NHL draft?

I have...went in 1994 when it was in Hartford.

It was pretty cool...they had all the trophies out in what was the mall area on display right in front of the main entrance to the arena itself.

I have 3 memories of it :lol:

--Seeing the Stanley Cup make it's lone trip ever to Hartford (there was NO way in hell the Whale was ever gonna win it at the time)...

--Getting a chuckle out of the Pens trying to keep from getting savagely booed by the fans by having Ron Francis go up to the podium (seeing that they normally woulda sent Eddie Johnston up there, and after the poor job he did in Hartford, he was about as popular there as Lee Harvey Oswald at the Kennedy Compound)

--Standing in line for a beverage behind Brett and Carl Lindros.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

i really don't think Kessel will go 1st, he didn't do much in the U20 tourney this year.

I keep hearing this, but, you know, the funny thing is, he lead the darn tourney in points! Don't believe me, see for yourself here...

Moose

Archived