Dontrelle for David Wright?

nym1231

In today's Newsday (NY), it was reported that the Marlins offered the Mets a straight-up deal of Dontrelle Willis for David Wright. Without a second thought or even telling the owners, Omar Minaya immediately turned down the deal, once again restating that David Wright is untouchable.

Smart move by Omar?

I think it is. Wright is an amazing rising star. He's still so young and only in his second full season in the Majors. I think in the end it would be great to get Dontrelle added to the rotation, but not if it means to give up David Wright.

Great move. Davis wright is an up and coming star with great abilities, especially in the field. Dontrelle has been off,or at least not much publicity lately. David Wright has a long career ahead of him in NY.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

This is a great move by Omar. I thought the Mets' pitching would suck this season. But they've been great. Pedro, Glavine, Bannister, and Zambrano have kicked ass so far. And if they did trade David Wright who the hell would take his spot?? Great job Omar.

aww man i was hoping Dontrelle would go to the Mets, than maybe he would actually have a chance at compiling some wins for my fantasy baseball team. Lord knows its not gonna happen in Florida.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Not for David Wright Willis is real good but not worth David Wright, maybe Id be willing to part with Lastings Millage for Willis proivided they take the awful Victor Zambrano too.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I actually might've made this deal if I was Minaya. David Wright is an up-and-coming star, no doubt about that, but he's a third baseman. Dontrelle Willis is a proven young star pitcher, and a southpaw on top of it. Sacrificing a bit of the Mets' offense to get a huge boost to their pitching staff sounds like an okay deal to me. I'll always, always side with pitching over a position player.

Not trying to hijack the thread but........

It seems the marlins want Dontrelle gone, or the talking heads at ESPN just love to make up rumors.

Apparently there was a deal offered to the Cincinnati Reds.

FLA gives up Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera and receives Austin Kearns, Edwin Encarnacion and Ryan Wagner/Brandon Claussen.

Although I think this trade would be awesome, as a reds fan, I think The marlind would get screwed.

After the trade rumor leaked out Reds GM Wayne Krivsky said he had no comment on such rumors and was never approached about this trade by anyone within the Florida Organization.

Beinfest would never pull such a horrible deal with the Reds. He and Loria denied all rumors that the club is trying to deal either Cabrera or Willis. This is the opposite of what they did in the past and issue a 'no comment'.

The team will get a stadium deal done within the next year. This will allow them to lock players up long term.

1997 | 2003

Dontrelle for Wright? So a couple of Winnipeg Pilots might be swapping teams?

Might help D-Train's win total, although Wright wouldn't have the same kind of protection in the Marlins' lineup.

Overall, I'm indiffirent.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Frankly I think by year's end the Marlins will be willing to dump Willis and Cabrera for a bag of Fritos and a couple of beers. Whatever won't cost them any money on the back end. The Marlins are doing all they can to get every man on their 25-man roster down to major-league minimum.

Seriously with The Marlins and Rays, if Florida didn't really want a baseball team they should have never petitioned for one.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Cleveland - $56,795,867

Milwaukee - $56,790,000

Kansas City - $47,294,000

Pittsburgh - $46,867,750

Colorado - $41,133,000

Tampa Bay - $35,417,967

Florida - $14,998,500

Yeeikes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Cleveland - $56,795,867

Milwaukee - $56,790,000

Pittsburgh - $46,867,750

Colorado - $41,133,000

Tampa Bay - $35,417,967

Florida - $14,998,500

Yeeikes.

:jawdrop::jawdrop: And they ain't that bad.

Probably attests to Girardi's ability to manage.

Or the fact that Washington is not that good either, and Atlanta has finally fallen off.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

When is Willis' contract up? If he's a free agent this coming offseason, the Marlins would be foolish not to trade him, since he will get quite a raise in salary that the Marlins most likely can't afford to spend. The same goes for Cabrera.

I believe he signed an extension last year.

I agree with the Mets. I wouldn't trade Wright for a pitcher who tends to tire out the second half of the season.

Cleveland - $56,795,867

Milwaukee - $56,790,000

Pittsburgh - $46,867,750

Colorado - $41,133,000

Tampa Bay - $35,417,967

Florida - $14,998,500

Yeeikes.

:jawdrop::jawdrop: And they ain't that bad.

Probably attests to Girardi's ability to manage.

Or the fact that Washington is not that good either, and Atlanta has finally fallen off.

No, it's based on the talent the team has.

Hermida, Ramirez, Willingham and Jacobs are real deal hitters. Talent on the club and in the minors is the best collection of young pitchers in baseball.

Barring injury to Cabs and/or Willis this is a 70-75 win team.

1997 | 2003

When is Willis' contract up?  If he's a free agent this coming offseason, the Marlins would be foolish not to trade him, since he will get quite a raise in salary that the Marlins most likely can't afford to spend.  The same goes for Cabrera.

I believe he signed an extension last year.

I agree with the Mets. I wouldn't trade Wright for a pitcher who tends to tire out the second half of the season.

I'm not sure about that. I think I heard that the entire Marlins roster is on the last year of their deal, or playing on a one-year deal, since the team doesn't have any money tied up to players after this season.

Marlins fans, chime in at any time....

Archived