4 more bowls

Jigga

ESPN.com - NCAA approves 31 bowl games for 2006

I know it's all about the money and everything, but unless I've totally been asleep the last 28 years, there were already too many bowl games!

And now that there is a 5th BCS game, that pretty much guarantees that ND will be a BCS staple as long as Charlie Weis is there.

Discuss.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Ah, the BCS and the Bowl System as a whole were teetering on the brink of lunacy in my mind already. They've gone ahead and crossed that line for me now. Teams that finish the season with .500 winning percentages SHOULD NOT GO TO BOWL GAMES. NCAA, STOP rewarding mediocrity (sp?).

On a side note...San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl? When did that :censored: go down? Anyone know what that "used" to be before it got sponsored all to hell?

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

It's only a matter of time now until we get...

The Ty-D-Bol Toilet Bowl. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why stop at 31? Just add one more and make it a 64 team Championship field!

Bah, what's the point of having a tournament (even 8 teams) anyway to decide a true national champion? College football might as go all the way and call each game a tie. Here's hoping for a mid-major cinderella!

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

31 bowl games. Hmm...

Technically, there are 60 participating teams, because the estra game is the BCS Championship game, correct? That's an extra playoff from the BCS Championship Series?

Last season, there were 119 Division 1 teams. 60 bowl teams from 119 means that 50% of the NCAA Div. 1 football teams will go to a bowl game. Them's pretty good odds. It also means there are way too many bowl games.

Compare that to college basketball, which has something like 334 Division 1 teams. 65 March Madness teams plus 40 NIT equals 105 playoff teams. 31% basketball teams advance to the post season.

I posted a plan over a year ago about the NCAA bowl season. Using a minimum of 7 wins or a conference championship yielded around 44 teams, up it to 8 wins and that number drops to around 32 or so. 44 teams = 23 bowl games, 32 teams = 17 (if you include the extra BCS game).

A bowl should be an award for an excellent season, not a meaningless bonus for mediocrity.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Technically, there are 60 participating teams, because the estra game is the BCS Championship game, correct? That's an extra playoff from the BCS Championship Series?

Not quite. The BCS went to the 5th game to appease the "mid-major" conferences. There will be 10 teams in BCS bowls. I think there will be a "plus-one" situation where the two highest ranked BCS winners will square off for the national title, but this ain't it.

I completely agree with the rest of your post.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I can see why they would make a Birmingham Bowl. I think that this was formed with the same intention as the Hawaii Bowl, which in this case would be to give UAB (or Troy) a bowl game if they got snubbed from other games. I wish that they would rename the bowl in Birmingham the "Magic City Bowl" or "Vulcan City Bowl". I also see that Toronto finally got their bowl game. I'm torn about whether or not I would be interested in going to that game. That seems like a game that would be for northern teams, given the fact that Toronto is close to the border.

Ah, the BCS and the Bowl System as a whole were teetering on the brink of lunacy in my mind already. They've gone ahead and crossed that line for me now. Teams that finish the season with .500 winning percentages SHOULD NOT GO TO BOWL GAMES. NCAA, STOP rewarding mediocrity (sp?).

On a side note...San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl? When did that :censored: go down? Anyone know what that "used" to be before it got sponsored all to hell?

That one was made to replace the "Silicon Valley Football Classic" that used to be in San Jose. In fact, Troy was one of the last two teams to play in that game.

31 Bowls?!

Stop the INSANITY

It could be worse... it could be 32, because according to the article, the NCAA will hold off making a decision on the Houston Bowl until June.

Face it, all these bowl games are for one thing and one thing only: To puff up the pride of the host cities' Chambers of Commerce and tourism bureaus.

seeing that list of actual bowl games made me think it was something that old poster "xlr8r / Red Dragon" made up!

(Remember him? The poster notorious for his "My (Insert League Name Here) Realignment Posts....hell bent on creating new divisions and dissolving a traditional team, like the Chicago Bears, and moving them to say Billings, Montana)

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Archived