Delmon Young suspended 50 games

bull :censored:. rest of the season woulda been better, this is just a slap on the wrist. <_<

No, what would be better would be a lifetime ban, and have MLB and all other minor leagues (including the indies) enforce it.

LvZYtbZ.png

bull :censored:.  rest of the season woulda been better, this is just a slap on the wrist. <_<

No, what would be better would be a lifetime ban, and have MLB and all other minor leagues (including the indies) enforce it.

and I disagree, rest of the season would have been best, he's young, he's dumb, he had a hot temper, best thing to do would have been suspend him and make him go to a shrink.

bull :censored:.  rest of the season woulda been better, this is just a slap on the wrist. <_<

and I disagree, rest of the season would have been best, he's young, he's dumb, he had a hot temper, best thing to do would have been suspend him and make him go to a shrink.

I disagree. He blew his chance to play professional baseball when he threw the bat at the umpire.

LvZYtbZ.png

"No, I really don't think I have anger management issues," he said. "I'm competitive. I just let the emotions get a little better than me sometimes. I've got to control that."

That is the definition of anger management issues.

rest of the season would have been best, he's young, he's dumb, he had a hot temper, best thing to do would have been suspend him and make him go to a shrink.

Agreed.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

OK, for the sake of discussion...

Can someoen explain to me what the difference is between Delmon Youg, and Bernie WIlliams Tuesday night? (5-9-06)

Bernie argued Balls and Strikes, and when he walked off, flipped his batting helmet behind him at the ump... It bounced, then went off the ump's leg.

True, it wasnt a bat. It wasnt directly into his chest. But it was the MLB, and it was on tv live.

How is this not a big deal, too?

Is the helmet being lighter than a bat really that much of a difference?

Or is it because a Yankee is impervious to the rules?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Williams should also get a suspension. He did throw his bat towards the umpire, although it wasn't hard and it hit the ground first.

I watched the game, and saw the ejection. Williams was definitely showing up the umpire by flipping his equipment to the ground in his direction. It may be more that the umpire walked into the equipment after they took weird bounces off the ground.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Bernie should get 50 games as well. He shouldn't get off light because his aim sucks. The way he's been playing, I'm not shocked that he threw his bat at something and missed.

Still I think Delmon deserves a full year suspension. The only reason he didn't get it is the umpire wasn't injured. If the umpire broke his nose then you might see it. If Delmon had beat the umpire with the bat, THEN we're talking lifetime bat. Flipping one from 20 feet? Not sure that deserves a lifetime ban.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

I haven't seen what Bernie Williams did yet, but it sounds like he deserves a suspension. Regardless of his intent, you simply do not throw stuff at or near the officials, no matter how much you disagree with them. Don't run the risk of a helmet taking a weird bounce, or an ump walking in the path of your thrown equipment.

Now, as for Delmon: didn't he already go through anger management sessions after a run-in he had last year where he bumped an ump during an argument? I thought I read somewhere that he had to go to therapy. If he did go, it shows how much it helped him.

Fifty games isn't nearly enough. A year, enforceable at all levels, should've been the starting point. Let me say it again as clearly as I can: you simply do not throw stuff at or near the officials, no matter how much you disagree with them. I've been on both sides of player/official disputes. No matter how strenuously I disagreed with the ump, and no matter what I said, the idea of throwing something or making physical contact of any kind never entered my mind. It's disrespectful, juvenile, and just wrong - at the Major League, Minor League or even Little League level. If you can't figure that out by age 20, you may never figure it out. Age is not an excuse for throwing a bat at another human being. The umpire being "wrong" or "right" is not an excuse to throw a bat.

I was threatened once as an official. The coach was booted from the remainder of the tournament, on the spot. What is 50 games going to teach this kid? The bigger price he'll pay is the stain on his reputation, but he's still making more this year than I'll make in the next 3. COMBINED.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I didn't see the game live but I saw the Bernie incident on Baseball tonight. IMO you can't compare the 2. Bernie slammed his helmet on the ground and it went toward where the ump was walking. He was showing the umpire up and deserved to be ejected, but I don't think suspended. Young on the other hand threw his bat in the air to where the Umpire was standing.

Also in comparing the 2 you have to look at the history. Bernie does not have a history of showing up the umpire like this. In fact I'm very surprised by this. Young apparently has had a history with anger in his short minor league career.

I would have done this:

Lifetime ban right off the bat--honored by all major/minor leagues, but tell him he will have the opportunity to appeal in the future.

Then 2,000 hours of community service (roughly 1 year full time)--I know that is usually done by the courts but MLB could too, perhaps. They can even pay him per hour. Say, the average wage for a US worker.

A Psych evaluation.

Anger Management.

IF the psych evaluation does not show that he is a sociopath. IF he completes his anger management. IF he completes his service hours. IF he does not get into any legal trouble, you give him a hearing to get back in. At that point you meet with him every so often so you can get an idea of his character and reinstate him IF and when he is ready.

Minimum one year process, most likely two. It's a serious thing and letting him in cannot be taken lightly.

------------

It's all moot. His career is most likely over. After the Rocker tirade, I believe his pitching coach said it was the beginning of the end of his career--pretty much true. I doubt Young will ever bounce back from this.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived