Best decade of sports uniforms?

johnnysama

In my personal opinion, that honor would go to the 1980s.

Why? Personally, we saw a lot of colorful uniforms being worn during this time, with a few going over the top in the mind of traditionalists, but I feel that many of the designs were downright cool..... and in baseball you still saw players wearing stirrups reguarly, football sleeves, and so forth.

It all went down a bit with the 90s.....

UBwef0L.png

For Football I think the 80's is the clear winner.

Classic Broncos D logo & orange jerseys (though I don't hate currents)

Classic Falcons Red uniforms

Classic Niners SB period uniforms

Jets green helmets (I am not a fan of the "back to Namath" look.)

Creamsicle Buccs (While I like currents, it was nice to have the color diversity)

Houston Oilers

Chargers Royal & Yellow "Fouts era" uniforms

Even the teams whose current Uni's I prefer (Eagles, Dolphins) had solid uniforms.

and the #1 reason.... the USFL.

Great new logos, solid uniform ideas, innovation without the insanity of early Arena Football uniforms or the psychodelic look of the 1970's WFL, or the XXXtreme Kewl of the XFL.

Just the Breakers, Bulls and Wranglers are enough to push the 1980's into the football league. Add the Panthers, Stars, Bandits, and on, and on... no brainer.

Greetings all

The following teams had thier BEST uniforms debut in the 60's. (not nescesarrily the ones they were the most successful in)

Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Steelers, Oilers, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Cowboys, Eagles, Redskins, Lions, Bears, Packers, Vikings, Falcons, Saints, Fourty-Niners.

That is over half the league my friends.

The uniforms that we consider "classics" often came out of the 60's. Teams were beginning to experiment with new and exciting concepts like having logos on the side of their helmets. (Keep in mind that in 1960, many teams had plain helmets, ususally with stripes and some with numbers)

I was about to say the 70's based on the fact that the first time a lot of us got to SEE the NFL uniforms in action was the early 70's because of TV, MNF, NFL Films, etc, but a bit of quick research has shown that most of those were designed and used during the 60's.

BroncosSig.jpg

BASEBALL:

Best: 1990s (before alts got too rediculous)

Worst: 1970s into 1980s (Yellow Oak/Pit, Red Cle, Power Blue, elastic waists, sleeve stripes, 3-tone expos cap)

BASKETBALL:

Best: Early 1990s

Worst: Late 1990s (Cleveland, Houston, Toronto, etc).

FOOTBALL:

Best: 1990s (Pre-Denver)

Worst: Right now (no sleeves, bengals, bills, falcons, grey facemask trend)

HOCKEY:

Best: 1980s

Worst: 1990s (Asyemtry in St. Louis, Anaheim, etc).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Football only: 1980s

Baseball: 1950s

Hockey: 1990s

Basketball: 1990s

Overall: 1990s, but only because the atrocious MLB powder blue road uniforms of the 70s and 80s downgrades the 1980s.

Worst decade: 1970s (hell, it was a bad decade for fashion in general)

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I would say the 60s were good in the NFL/AFL, however, I did like alot of NFL unis in 90s.

MLB was nice in the 90s before the advent of alts - most of which I like, but there is something classic about white homes, gray roads.

NHL in the early 90s was great. The 1960s were nice too.

So, overall, IMO, the 1960s and 1990s were the best decades in terms of unis.

NFL: 1990-1996

MLB: 1985-1992

NHL: 1990-1998

NBA: Either 1980-1988 (or whenever those terrible Sixers jerseys were introduced) or 2001-present (the Pistons return to normalcy sparked a league-wide trend to settle the F down)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

NBA: Either 1980-1988 (or whenever those terrible Sixers jerseys were introduced) or 2001-present (the Pistons return to normalcy sparked a league-wide trend to settle the F down)

While I agree that the Pistons neo-retro redesign inspired teams to calm it down, I really despise the fact that so many teams have gone to two-tone blue designs...

We have the Mavs, Grizzlies, Jazz, and Denver (3rds) with basically identical color schemes. BORING!

I vote for the mid-to-late 80s as reigning supreme for NBA jerseys--- Bucks, Bulls "Chicago" script jerseys, Rockets, 'Nique Hawks, and Sonics--- epitomize what I'd call unique team identities.

---------

NFL: 80s (as chromatically dynamic as a fresh box of Crayolas)

NHL: 70s (Seals, North Stars, Sabres, Baby Pens, Rockies)

MLB: 70s (Gotta love the orange Orioles, golden Pirates and A's, and the birth of powder blue away jerseys... sorry!)

The single best year for NHL uniforms was 1990-91. The highs were incredible and the lows (Washington) weren't horrible.

The worst was the mid-late 90's when the horrible first-generation thirds were coming out and every team was deciding they needed an entirely new cartoony look to appeal to third-graders.

PapelbonSpaceship.png

bannerlong.jpg

I have to say the 1970's for baseball...Im one of those oddballs who loved the colorful "softball" uniforms..white at home and gray on the road may be traditional but it is also boring.

Baseball: Mid 90's you had the California Angels, Mariners change, every team moved away from pullovers, and the vest craze had not yet taken over.

Hockey: 90's. LA kings, Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques, Vancouver Canucks all had sweet looks

NFL: 80's The bengals changed to the stripes, Chargers Dan Fouts, still at least 15 years away from the monochrome look or side paneling or the Denver Broncos orange swoosh jerseys.

NBA: 80's. The uniforms were simple and ungradiented like everything in the 90's was. The Miluakee Bucks uniforms were the high light of the decade.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm sorry folks. The correct answer was Baseball in the 1940s.

thanks for playing.

Baseball in the 40s

You know what's annoying? When people say "thanks for playing."

That's annoying.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived