Magenta in Action

B-Rich

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that Oakland-Alameda County Stadium in one of those pics? Where did this team play?

Uhhh...I'm thinking...

I'm not sure, but I THINK they played at the L.A. Coliseum.

But, I'm probably wrong.

(I was only 10 in 1973!)

:P

Ah, if you folks only knew . . .

Unfortunately, I saw more than my share of games. The WFL was around for '74 and part of '75. The logos and colors were horrible - Southern California Sun (they played in Anaheim), the Hawaiians (brown jerseys with yellow helmets), the Portland Storm (lime green and royal blue), the Memphis Southmen (a.k.a. the Grizzlies) - orange helmets and brown jerseys, New York Stars - yellow jerseys black helmets, and the only "professional looking team, the Jacksonville Sharks, who looked like the Raiders in silver and black. Gary Davidson, the commissioner (and one of the greatest con artists this side of Nick Miletti in sports) had the uniforms "stylized" - the stripes on the sleeves and pants were called "action stripes". The only team that didn't abide by that was the Birmingham Americans. In fact, who were the first Charlotte Hornets? The New York Stars, who moved in the middle of the season to the Carolinas. What about the Houston Texans? 1974 - before they moved midseason to Shreveport. The Chicago Fire? Yup, QB'd by Virgil Carter formerly of the Bears and Bengals. Here's something I bet you don't remember. In 1975 they had different positions wearing different colored pants. There was an SI article on Csonka, Kiick and Warfield, If you can find it, they are posing in those pants.

Ah, if you folks only knew . . .

Unfortunately, I saw more than my share of games. The WFL was around for '74 and part of '75. The logos and colors were horrible - Southern California Sun (they played in Anaheim), the Hawaiians (brown jerseys with yellow helmets), the Portland Storm (lime green and royal blue), the Memphis Southmen (a.k.a. the Grizzlies) - orange helmets and brown jerseys, New York Stars - yellow jerseys black helmets, and the only "professional looking team, the Jacksonville Sharks, who looked like the Raiders in silver and black. Gary Davidson, the commissioner (and one of the greatest con artists this side of Nick Miletti in sports) had the uniforms "stylized" - the stripes on the sleeves and pants were called "action stripes". The only team that didn't abide by that was the Birmingham Americans. In fact, who were the first Charlotte Hornets? The New York Stars, who moved in the middle of the season to the Carolinas. What about the Houston Texans? 1974 - before they moved midseason to Shreveport. The Chicago Fire? Yup, QB'd by Virgil Carter formerly of the Bears and Bengals. Here's something I bet you don't remember. In 1975 they had different positions wearing different colored pants. There was an SI article on Csonka, Kiick and Warfield, If you can find it, they are posing in those pants.

I thought the pants-thing didn't go through? But it wouldn't surprise me, and I was only 6 in 1975.

Here's something I bet you don't remember. In 1975 they had different positions wearing different colored pants. There was an SI article on Csonka, Kiick and Warfield, If you can find it, they are posing in those pants.

Look at these!

pants.jpg

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

In honor of this thread, I completed generating all of the color swatch images for my WFL Team Colors page:

World Football League Team Colors

Remember...this was in the era before sports teams (and leagues) used Pantone colors...so these are all estimates. Although...I have heard that the WFL just MIGHT have actually used them...well before the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL...

Haden's jersey definitely looks like Fran Tarkenton left his in the (Southern California) sun for days on end and then handed it down to the WFL-ers.

All that jersey is missing is fringe. Sparkly fringe.

Gotta love it, though. It's kind of like what Tim Burton said about "Batman Begins." He said he was actually tired of all the darkness and would have been thrilled to see a guy in colorful tights again.

If you take away the organge, these aren't magenta -- they're just pink. Hell, with the orange they're still pink.

They're funky either way.

Imagine if these guys played the Orlando Thunder. Neon Bowl.

High Impact football by Williams!

hiimpact.jpg

hiimpact.png

Gotta love it, though. It's kind of like what Tim Burton said about "Batman Begins." He said he was actually tired of all the darkness and would have been thrilled to see a guy in colorful tights again.

Yeah, but extending that kind of thinking just leads to Batsuits with nipples, and I'm pretty sure none of us ever want to go there again.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Here's something I bet you don't remember. In 1975 they had different positions wearing different colored pants. There was an SI article on Csonka, Kiick and Warfield, If you can find it, they are posing in those pants.

Look at these!

pants.jpg

These were to allow players to wear any number they wanted (Otto Graham, anyone?) but to tip players off as to formation, tackle-eligible, etc.

Ah yes, the seventies-- long hair, glam rock, and wild uniform colors.  The unis and colors that perhaps best define that era (or error, to some) were the magenta and orange of the Southern California Sun.  Horrifying, yet attractive. Like a car wreck, I shouldn't watch... yet, I can't seem to turn away:

Haden2.jpgHaden3.jpgHaden1.jpg

Suns.jpg

Your thoughts?

Geez, he is like a Fran Tarkenton rip-off. It's almost like when the Dukes of Hazzard tried to replace Bo and Luke with Coy and Vance, like we wouldn't notice or love them the same because they were so similar (except the switched the blue and yellow shirts from the blond and the brunnette).

Also, any take a look at the stands in the background? No wonder that league folded, it looks like a practice photo or something. Those are the best seats they have!

Yeah, but extending that kind of thinking just leads to Batsuits with nipples, and I'm pretty sure none of us ever want to go there again.

Of course, that depends on who's playing Batgirl :shocked:

Reliving the WFL in this thread just makes me greatful that when that league was in existance my family did not have a color television.

Archived