Names on the back of MLB jerseys

BBM

I was watching the Dodgers the other night, and quite frankly I liked them better when they had names on the back of their jerseys, but then again maybe that's because I don't know LA's roster too well.

Anyway, I know the Yankees do it (which, it would just seem wrong if they did put names on the back) and the Cubbies and Red Sox do it at home, but I believe LA is the only other team that has no names on the home or road unis. I don't mind it on the home jerseys, but I think the Dodgers road ones should have names.

Also, as an aside: why, on the Dressed to the Nines do they not have alternate jerseys listed, just home and away? And is there a database that lists alts?

I agree that the names should at least be on the away jerseys, except for the Yankees because everyone knows who the Yankees are. The old school teams seem to think that if they don't have names it is some sort of throwback, however this move is offset by the Cubs rediculous third jerseys but what else would you expect from such a laughable organization. I also love how they don't put their names on the blue jersey when they are playing at home but they do on the road, even though it is the exact same jersey, how rediculous. The Reds, Phillies, Tigers, and Cardinals are all really old teams who have names and they look fine. Perhaps the Royals should take the names off of their jerseys, I wouldn't want anyone knowing if I played for them. All in all, I say Yay to names on the back except for the Yankees who should never do it, and I dont even like the Yankees.

I don't so much miss the names on back of the Dodgers' jerseys, but the numbers look so small. I think that's what makes them look awkward - there should be a name up there, but it's almost as if they took them off as an afterthought.

I was watching the Dodgers the other night, and quite frankly I liked them better when they had names on the back of their jerseys, but then again maybe that's because I don't know LA's roster too well.

Anyway, I know the Yankees do it (which, it would just seem wrong if they did put names on the back) and the Cubbies and Red Sox do it at home, but I believe LA is the only other team that has no names on the home or road unis. I don't mind it on the home jerseys, but I think the Dodgers road ones should have names.

Also, as an aside: why, on the Dressed to the Nines do they not have alternate jerseys listed, just home and away? And is there a database that lists alts?

The Giants also don't have names on their home uni's.

Every time this is brought up, a war starts and UN peacekeepers have to come in a clean up the mess.

There should be a leaguewide rule, either have them or ban them. If you have one on your roads, but not one on your homes, it is the most retarded, un-uniform thing you can have.

Every time this is brought up, a war starts and UN peacekeepers have to come in a clean up the mess.

There should be a leaguewide rule, either have them or ban them. If you have one on your roads, but not one on your homes, it is the most retarded, un-uniform thing you can have.

I totally disagree. Baseball is all about "un"-uniformity; when it comes to stadiums, unis, type of surface, etc. I don't have a problem with teams being different about how they approach it, and I can understand why home unis use it and not roads-- because home fans know the players, you don't need to re-emphasize it. I just think it doesn't look great on the Dodgers.

I hate when teams mess with it. At least the Yankees have never ever had them, and probably never will. It's stupid how the Cubs and Dodgers keep waffling on it. Oh, it's only the homes, oh, it's only the roads, oh hey now they're gone completely. That's uncalled for.

1zgyd8w.jpg

One thing going in the favor of the NYY's and the SFG's in regards to homes being sans surnames: number font. Both teams use the big blocky numerals that make it easier to see (and thus emplasize) the number. (If the Braves ever went sans surnames, they could pull it off--but I think they need to go back to vertically arched surnames for real!) I've never cared for the Cubs' numeral font, and the Dodgers--makes their homes look really plain with smallish #s that are hard to read by themselves from a distance.

(Oh--and if I was a Royal, i'd petition to have my name removed too...)

GO PIRATES!!!

(As if they any damn better...) :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Unless they require teams with no names to give out free scorecards. That would fix a lot.

Thank God the Dodgers are putting the names back on next year. With so many rookies on the field, it's impossible to tell who the heck is on the team anymore.

VmWIn6B.png

Yes to names on back of both home and road jerseys. And, if you're stupid enough to use pinstripes, you MUST sew the letters on individually...none of this plain plate on a PS jersey crap...

Also, isn't it about time SOMEBODY made the Yankee$ follow the rules on uniforms? They're the ONLY AL team w/o names on the roads, and the ONLY team in MLB w/ no Majestic logo on the sleeves and pants.

Yes to names on back of both home and road jerseys. And, if you're stupid enough to use pinstripes, you MUST sew the letters on individually...none of this plain plate on a PS jersey crap...

Also, isn't it about time SOMEBODY made the Yankee$ follow the rules on uniforms? They're the ONLY AL team w/o names on the roads, and the ONLY team in MLB w/ no Majestic logo on the sleeves and pants.

As a Yankee fan, all I can say is THANK GOD FOR THAT.

The red sox' font is so distinctive you can tell its them from behind too.

It is now.

Back in the 70s, the Angels used the exact number font. I'm pretty sure they went nameless for much of the 70s as well, and sharing the same color scheme, it was probably not out of the question to confuse the two teams if you only saw them from behind.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The red sox' font is so distinctive you can tell its them from behind too.

It is now.

Back in the 70s, the Angels used the exact number font. I'm pretty sure they went nameless for much of the 70s as well, and sharing the same color scheme, it was probably not out of the question to confuse the two teams if you only saw them from behind.

the Giants also used that font in the early to mid 70's when they had the orange lettering/numbers outlined in black

I hate when teams mess with it. At least the Yankees have never ever had them, and probably never will. It's stupid how the Cubs and Dodgers keep waffling on it. Oh, it's only the homes, oh, it's only the roads, oh hey now they're gone completely. That's uncalled for.

I don't know the Dodgers history, but the Cubs are pretty straight-forward. It is as follows:

Home:

1876-1991: No Names

1992-2004: Names

2005-Present: No Names

Road:

1876-1979: No Names

1980-Present: Names

Hard to see how that's waffling...

Moose

Archived