Big Ben likely to switch to Revolution helmet.

SoxSteeler

I wonder if he will wear the 'revolution' around town also.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Sounds like he's getting a custom facemask to protect his jaw, too. Remember when Kerry Collins broke his jaw on that cheap shot by Romo? He got the biggest facemask I've ever seen--it looked like it extended down to his upper chest. I wonder if BR7 will get something like that.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

This article is probably not correct in that it is mixing 2 different companies. Schutt does make the best facemasks (and best helmets in my opinion too), but as of now they don't make facemasks for the revolution helmet, because Riddell makes the facemasks for it. The design is so unique, I wouldn't be surprised if Riddell had a trademark on the design so they would be the only ones who could make facemasks for it. If he had a standard issue Riddell helmet (like he currently wears), then Schutt would probably make it, since they are the best and in the past they have done this for Kurt Warner and Kerry Collins when they had serious injuries. But the new Riddell Revolution helmet probably does more to protect his jaw than those custom facemasks ever did (the revolution helmet was not available at the time) and a custom facemask probably isn't even necessary. But if they DO give him a special mask, the odds are it will be Riddell who makes it.

One a side note, I was a huge fan of Schutt helmets when I played, and I still am. Why the pros always seem to switch when they go from college to the pros is beyond me. College is almost always Schutt, whereas the Pros are almost always Riddell. I know Riddell has a contract with the NFL, but you can wear what you want. Certain teams are more Schutt friendly than others (the Giants, Jets, Browns, Raiders, Cowboys, Redskins, Packers and a few others seem to have the most players who wear Schutt) whereas other teams have almost NO players who wear anything but Riddell. Even if they were lifetime Schutt helmet players (like TO for example), they go to a team like the Eagles which almost has NO Schutt helmets and he switches for good (even when he went to Dallas).

Certain Colleges like Miami and USC seem to produce athletes who will ONLY wear Schutt no matter which Pro team they go to. If you look at Miami I can name a ton of Guys who wear Schutt: Jonathan Vilma, Jeremy Shockey, Santana and Sinorice Moss, William Joseph, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Willis McGahee, Roscoe Parrish, Kenard Lang, Kellen Winslow, Najeh Davenport, Phillip Buchannon and the list goes on. USC is the same way with Reggie Bush, Carson Palmer, Lendale White, Keyshawn Johnson, Chad Morton, Johnny Morton, Mike Williams, and others. Actually if you look at the players who go to Miami to train in the off-season, most of them seem to wear Schutt helmets and if you look at guys who train there that aren?t former canes like Chad Johnson, they have changed to that helmet after not wearing it his whole Pro Career.

Teams like the Bengals (although they seemed to have seen the light as of late), Eagles, Chargers, Chiefs, Cardinals, Saints almost only use Riddell with maybe one or two guys wearing a Schutt helmet. Matt Leinart is the perfect example. At USC he wore a Schutt helmet and looked like a top-flight guy, but now on the Cardinals he switched to Riddell and for some reason he looks less polished and imposing. Carson Palmer wore the same helmet as USC as did Leinart, but kept his helmet when he got to the Bengals and I think it has helped his overall look and makes the Bengals uniforms look good too. It also just makes you more marketable looking.

Leinart.jpg

Teams like the Chargers and the Bengals also seem to try and push Riddell facemasks too, which always make there team look like the world league. If you look at Ladanian Tomlinson's facemask with the Chargers, the bottom part is so far from his face, it looks like you could get two hands up there. There is no flow and it looks awkward. Also, look at Eli Manning when he went from the Classic Schutt helmet with the single bar at the top of the facemask his rookie year compared to the goofy Revolution helmet he wears now. The Manning?s have that Opie look to them already, so having this helmet in addition to that doesn't help.

So, does anyone know why so many players change? Am I the only one who thinks Schutt helmets drastically help the way a player and the uniform look? Does anyone else care or am I the only one who thinks about this all of the time?

Now that the Riddell Revolution helmets have been around a while, Schutt is making facemasks for them:

Schutt Revolution Facemasks

EDIT - awuestenfeld beat me to the punch while I was looking for photos of the Mannings.

I think that Eli Manning may be wearing a Schutt mask (it looks more like a standard OPO), but Peyton still wears the odd looking Riddell mask.

Eli:

5E039D1BED894AD7A98AB1F27DE3320D.jpg

Sorry, I can't post a photo of Payton; the IT Lords here have some kind of block on the Colts photo pages.

Wow, aren't I the a**hole? Forget the trademark part of my rant. But does anyone else have an opinion of Riddell vs. Schutt in general? Does it bother anyone else when they switch over to Riddell?

They should probably focus on those new great kazoo helmets than worry about the Revolution facemasks, they look almost the same as the Riddell versions anyway. Those facemasks are huge!! I like the idea of the helmet, but those facemasks are rediculous. It makes all of the players look like pee-wee players because the helmet looks 3 sizes too big.

psu.jpg

I know those new helmets that the entire penn state team has, our high school team got a couple and we would joke how huge a whole we would have to open up for our runningbacks helmet to fit through it.

But he did say it felt a lot more comfortable, and its supposed to be better against concussions like the revolution.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Wow, aren't I the a**hole? Forget the trademark part of my rant. But does anyone else have an opinion of Riddell vs. Schutt in general? Does it bother anyone else when they switch over to Riddell?

They should probably focus on those new great kazoo helmets than worry about the Revolution facemasks, they look almost the same as the Riddell versions anyway. Those facemasks are huge!! I like the idea of the helmet, but those facemasks are rediculous. It makes all of the players look like pee-wee players because the helmet looks 3 sizes too big.

psu.jpg

Well back in my high school days the popular helmet was the Riddell PAC-3. We (or at least our equipment manager) didn't need any helmets you had to "pump up" :P The Air Power helmets were just coming out back then (late 70s) and were still made by Bike, so I guess I have a different perspective - at least they aren't suspension helmets (with no padding at all ^_^ ).

There are lots of reasons for people switching - maybe they wore Riddell in high school but had to wear Schutt in college because that is who supplied their school. I think some quarterbacks switch in the pros because the NFL radio receiver fits differently in diferent helmet styles. Some people, like Jerry Rice, seemed to switch a lot just to be switching - he wore at least two Bike/Schutt styles, a regular Riddell VSR-4, and a Revolution. Some people change for head injuries - Steve Young comes to mind as switching to Riddell after missing games with concussions - although he used a Riddell with an inflated pad at the forhead (you could see the extra inflator under the stripes in close-ups.

I agree that the DNA helmets look odd. One intersting thing I saw with those Schutt DNAs and Penn State - when their quarterback played in whatever all-star game he was in last January, he was back wearing the "regular" Schutt helmet, not the DNA.

Now that the Riddell Revolution helmets have been around a while, Schutt is making facemasks for them:

Schutt Revolution Facemasks

EDIT - awuestenfeld beat me to the punch while I was looking for photos of the Mannings.

I think that Eli Manning may be wearing a Schutt mask (it looks more like a standard OPO), but Peyton still wears the odd looking Riddell mask.

Eli:

5E039D1BED894AD7A98AB1F27DE3320D.jpg

Sorry, I can't post a photo of Payton; the IT Lords here have some kind of block on the Colts photo pages.u

Apparently, Eli is switching back to the Schutt helmet this year. I'm a huge Schutt fan (not so much the DNA helmets, but the Pro Air helmets) and am glad to see him making the switch back. I always thought the Revolution looked weird on him.

A88E0BD889994867B10EEEF206D7AADE.jpg

Matt Leinart is the perfect example. At USC he wore a Schutt helmet and looked like a top-flight guy, but now on the Cardinals he switched to Riddell and for some reason he looks less polished and imposing.

Leinart.jpg

I think that might have more to do with his new uniform than anything else.... :P

No I actually prefer the look and feel of the Riddell helmet to the schutt. Maybe its just the shape of my head but schutts never felt right, and I think they look wierd. So when I had an option I always chose the riddell. Plus when you got towards the end of the season the air in the riddells had let out a little and they were super comfortable. Schutts stayed filled the whole season. So while safer, they were less comfortable, to me at least :D .

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived