Penguins Not Moving to Canada

jkrdevil

No surprise really but now there is no possibility of the Penguins will not be moving to Canada. The Canadian bidders dropped out of the bidding to buy the Penguins because it appears the NHL will try to block any move from Pittsburgh. If the Island of Capri deal doesn't happen there is a Plan B deal on the table and that would have to fall through for the league to allow the Penguins to move. The Canadian bidders that dropped out apparently wanted to move the team to Hamilton. There are still 2 groups in the bidding that have plans to move the team if everything goes through, one is to KC and the other group is to Hartford. Those move appear to be a long shot though.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06199/706586-61.stm

Good, I'm glad to hear this. I really hope the Penguins don't move. If the Penguins do move, Kansas City would seem more likely than Hartford though because of the new arena in KC.

If the Island of Capri deal doesn't happen there is a Plan B deal on the table and that would have to fall through for the league to allow the Penguins to move.

Not only that but, according to that plan, the new arena can start being designed and built as early as next summer.

Theres only one way this can get better...

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

Good, I'm glad to hear this. I really hope the Penguins don't move. If the Penguins do move, Kansas City would seem more likely than Hartford though because of the new arena in KC.

WRONG! Bettman would force the Pens to move to Houston instead of KC.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Not necessarily. I think Bettman would prefer not to compete with the NBA. A Houston NHL franchise would be the Toyota Center's secondary tenant and thus would not necessarily have access to the best dates to schedule home games. A KC NHL franchise would be the primary tenant for the Sprint Center (sorry Brigade fans) and would clearly be that community's winter sports centerpiece.

But we're arguing over very little here, it certainly seems as if Pittsburgh is on its way to salvaging the franchise which is just fine in my book. I think the NHL is going to find a way to spin up a "glorious recovery" and "road to stability" story soon enough to put further expansion back on the agenda. Yup, I truly believe that we will see a 32 team NHL by 2010.

The Canadian bidders that dropped out apparently wanted to move the team to Hamilton.

Hamilton can't have an NHL team--then Toronto would want one too... :D

(Yeah--I know--old joke)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I like the thought of the Penguins moving to Houston, bigger media market, more money to be made, one of the best sprts venues in the Toyota Center. i like the move. Just dont call them the Houston Penguins (sounds dumb)

Seems like your jumping the gun a bit. Ownership groups drop out and reappear and new ones pop up all the time when a team goes up for sale. And there are other potential ownership groups in Canada that haven't officially pulled out at any point - one in Winnipeg lead by Mark Chipman, for example.

I'm not saying the Pens are moving to Canada, or even that there's more than a small chance. I just think it's way too early to declare where the Pens will or will not be going.

I like the thought of the Penguins moving to Houston, bigger media market, more money to be made, one of the best sprts venues in the Toyota Center. i like the move. Just dont call them the Houston Penguins (sounds dumb)

I take my last comment back. I just took a look at the NEW Sprint Center in Kansas City. That arena is beautiful enough to lure a struggling franchise such as the Penguins to the city. Arena kind of looks like a brand new iglo

The Canadian bidders that dropped out apparently wanted to move the team to Hamilton.

Hamilton can't have an NHL team--then Toronto would want one too... :D

(Yeah--I know--old joke)

An old one, but still funny as hell! :hockeysmiley:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Hopefully the Penguins can get a new arena i always hate it when a team with a championship moves. You can move a new team that is struggling and dosn't have a strong fanbase. Dont move a team that has won 2 stanley cups and has a loyal fanbase who also have the best young talent in the NHL.

I am actually happy that they aren't moving to Canada. I think too much hockey is a bad thing for this country. We already get enough as it is, and being narrow minded towards one sport doesn't open up anything for other sports in this country. Besides, Pittsburgh has supported the team, they should keep em.

It's still doubtful that Winnipeg can support a team, new arena be damned?

Yes. It always has been doubtful, always will be doubtful.

GoJetsGo has got a point - these things are never set in stone, and new groups surface and disappear on seemingly a whim. Ownership groups especially tend to be fickle - one guy disagrees with something, backs out, and the whole group is out due to a sudden lack of financing.

But if there's one thing last night's Bombers-Eskimos tilt has taught me (and Edmontonians) - don't count out Winnipeg until the final gun sounds (or the final deal is signed, sealed, and delivered).

Milt Stegall for Prime Minister!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Pens will not move to KC. The arena in Pittsburgh will get done. Fingold is the onyl one talking about KC. He has even since changed his story to saying the Pens will likely stay. Either with Plan B or the Slot Liscense.

With the Pens out of the running, there are no current teams looking to move. The Preds were rumoured to be having issues with the city and thier lease. But the NHL wanted a team there and I doubt they would be able to get out from the lease.

KC only has a shot at an NBA franchise at this time. Either Sac or Orlando. My money would be the Magic.

But in reality they are being used as pawns for other teams to get Arena deals. Such is life in sports.

Archived