A-Rod: Mr. Overated

NJTank

That was Luis Gonzalez. But you hit the nail on the head there. Thank you.

You're right. I got it mixed up. Craig Counsell was on base after being HBP in 2001. Dunno why I wrote that. mea culpea.

[edit]

You're kidding me. Marino at 10-15 all-time? Try Top 5 (Unitas, Graham, Baugh, Montana, Marino is generally agreed on by most, though there are some mentions of Bradshaw and Tittle replacing Graham or Baugh). He's the unanimous best QB (if not best NFL player) to have never won a championship. If he's only No. 10-15 to you because he never won a Super Bowl, I shudder to see who's keeping him from the Top 5. Jeff Hostetler? Mark Rypien?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think that the whole thing that makes A-Rod overrated, is his ability to gain most of his homeruns and RBIs in meaningless situations. Sure, he puts up big numbers, but how many of those were in clutch/necessary situations?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

What more do you want the guy to do?

Win a championship

And doing a big role winning it.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Imagine what the Mariners would be like if they still had A-Rod, Griffey and Randy Johnson.

Probably still be where they are at now. Of those 3 only A-Rod is still in their prime. Also when they had those 3 together they struggled because they had all of their money locked up in those players (as well as Edgar Martinez and Buhner) and thus had no bullpen to the point where they couldn't win a close game.

Okay, I don't know about him being one of the 10 greatest in history, but I would say that he is one of the best in baseball today. How many active position players have accomplished what he has or demonstrated the kind of consistency that he has thus far? I'm not a big supporter of his; in fact, he sometimes pisses me off (I'll never forget that 2004 ALCS game where he knocked the ball out of Kevin Millar's glove as he ran by him, and I wish somebody would tell me what could possibly have motivated him to take such a cheap shot). However, I simply cannot deny that the man is a great player. Yes, he's overpaid, but that doesn't take away from his greatness.

Comments?

Yeah, I got a comment. My comment is that you are on crack if you think Alex Rodriguez is overrated! How in the hell can an all-time great be overrated? He was Albert Pujols before there was Albert Pujols. He's won two MVP awards, is the fastest player to reach 250, 300, 350, 400, and 450 home runs. He's got 2000 hits at age 30 years, 360 days. He's won gold gloves at two positions. He's a career .306 hitter. He's one of only 3 40/40 players ever. Hell he's stolen 250 bases. He's a bigger, stronger, faster, and better version of Cal Ripken (I'm an Orioles fan and saw Ripken play for almost 20 years.)

What more do you want the guy to do?

I agree with this completely.

One thing I like about Baseball-Reference.com is their age-based comparisons... Check out A-Rod's comparison (through last year).

Personally, I'd take him on my team...

Moose

That's unbelievable.

At age 29, he has more homers than Hank Aaron, Jimmie Foxx, Rogers Hornsby, Al Kaline, Mickey Mantle, Eddie Mathews, Mel Ott, and Frank Robinson. ALL Hall of Famers. And he's only 29. :blink:

Hell, forget more HR's than those guy's; re-read the bolded part of gregjigga's comments (my emphasis added)...

All I can do is agree with the previous posts about A-Rod's HR totals, him being a 40/40 player, his 2000 hits, two gold gloves at two different positions, being a career .306 hitter, and how he's stolen 250 bases. A-Rod is undoubtedly one of the greatest players of all time. I feel that he is definitely going to be a lock for the hall of fame if he keeps up these numbers. However, the knock on him will be he hasn't won a championship. When (if) A-Rod wins a championship IMO he will be complete.

The bootom line is in pressure situations he fails, and you cant be great if you always fail with the game on the line.

is everyone forgetting about his walk off home run last week? And it wasn't his first one either. Where did he get this reputation for not being good in the clutch?

Here is the reason why Rodriguez has been much maligned in New York media. The fans. The fans are the most spoiled fans in all of professional sports. If A-Rod were on any other team he would be at shortstop. Most fans of any other team would love to have this guy. But Yankee fans don't know how to lose, they won't make the playoffs this year and the fans can't just say "we weren't good enough". They need someone to blame and the most obvious person to point their finger at is A-rod even when he is not the cause of their problems.

PvO6ZWJ.png

With the exception of A-Rod deferring to Ripken in the All-Star Game, I've found A-Rod (now known as E-Rod) to be "all about me", which of course describes practically every pro athlete today.

Even with doing what he did for Cal, he did so knowing it would be caught on film, and to make him (A-Rod) look like a swell guy (with a head to match).

After a loss the other night, all A-Rod could say was how happy he was to become the youngest player to hit 450 HRs, and also to get 2,000 hits. It's all about me for him. It is the curse of A-Rod.

When he was with Seattle,they won 0 pennants. When he went to Texas, they finished dead last. When Boston lost him and he went to the Yankees, it was the Yankees blowing a 3-0 game lead over Boston, the first time in baseball history that it happened.

He is a curse. He is Fred Merckle. He is the one who exorcised the curse of the Bambino. He's a class choke artist, and about as clutch as the Titanic after the iceberg incident.

He is aloof, and self-centered. He could care less about the Yankee legacy. During the ALCS in 2004, he went so far as to try to cheat, and did so BLATANTLY and SHAMELESSLY!

I was angry when the Yankees whored away Soriano for A-Rod. As soon as I heard he was going to the Yankees, I knew they were through. It's over, Yankees lose....THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Yankees Lose!

A-Rod, E-Rod, he should be called "I" rod because all he cares about is himself, the first person ... "I" hit 450 HRs..."I" got 2000 hits..."I" "I" "I"...

"I" this A-Hole! Go count your quarter of a billion dollars and keep attending the Chuck Knoblach school of throwing.

I've been a Yankee fan since the tender age of 8, going back to 1974. I have witnessed them play in 10 World Series and win 6 of them, as well as being highly competitive in all but 1 of them (1976).

I'm not whining about the Yankees futility since 2001. I'm simply fed up with how wonderful A-Rod thinks he is. About the only respect I have for him is that it seems that he's not ever juiced in order to hit for power. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten up on a pedestal and said this about himself already.

The only time I've ever interacted with A-Rod was in 2002 when he was with the Rangers and I was working for the Jays... he had a good game and I saw him standing alone watching an interview of himself on tv.

I walked up to him and said "good game today A-Rod" and he didn't look at me, didn't say a word, just nodded his head, and that was it.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Was at the game last night.

A-Rod was DHing, and went 0-for-4, with 4 K's.

Three from Lilly, one from Tallet (IIRC).

EDIT: And in the 3rd inning of today's game, 0-for-6.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Well, let's just ship him down to Columbus now don't we...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Well, let's just ship him down to Columbus now don't we...

I wanted to ship a good number of the Jays bullpen down after they blew the game, but never mind.

I honestly don't know where I was going with my previous point.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Fine, Wankee fans (yes, that's supposed to say Wank-ee), go ahead and bitch and complain about having one of the top 3 players in the game on your team...

Please ship him to Baltimore, please!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Everyone keeps throwing around all these stats. Here's one for you. (as of my last check)

18 Errors. In this season.

That is all.

He didn't sign his $252 million contract to play a perfect 3rd base. His natural position is shortstop.

Greg hit it completely on the nose. The New York fans and media expect A-Rod to hit a HR in every at-bat and be perfect defensively. If he has a bad game, he gets labeled "overrated and a choke artist", and if he has a great game, New Yorkers shrug their shoulders and say "It's what he's supposed to be doing for $25 million a year.". He's in a no-win situation there.

With the exception of A-Rod deferring to Ripken in the All-Star Game, I've found A-Rod (now known as E-Rod) to be "all about me", which of course describes practically every pro athlete today.

Even with doing what he did for Cal, he did so knowing it would be caught on film, and to make him (A-Rod) look like a swell guy (with a head to match).

After a loss the other night, all A-Rod could say was how happy he was to become the youngest player to hit 450 HRs, and also to get 2,000 hits. It's all about me for him. It is the curse of A-Rod.

When he was with Seattle,they won 0 pennants. When he went to Texas, they finished dead last. When Boston lost him and he went to the Yankees, it was the Yankees blowing a 3-0 game lead over Boston, the first time in baseball history that it happened.

He is a curse. He is Fred Merckle. He is the one who exorcised the curse of the Bambino. He's a class choke artist, and about as clutch as the Titanic after the iceberg incident.

He is aloof, and self-centered. He could care less about the Yankee legacy. During the ALCS in 2004, he went so far as to try to cheat, and did so BLATANTLY and SHAMELESSLY!

I was angry when the Yankees whored away Soriano for A-Rod. As soon as I heard he was going to the Yankees, I knew they were through. It's over, Yankees lose....THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Yankees Lose!

A-Rod, E-Rod, he should be called "I" rod because all he cares about is himself, the first person ... "I" hit 450 HRs..."I" got 2000 hits..."I" "I" "I"...

"I" this A-Hole! Go count your quarter of a billion dollars and keep attending the Chuck Knoblach school of throwing.

I've been a Yankee fan since the tender age of 8, going back to 1974. I have witnessed them play in 10 World Series and win 6 of them, as well as being highly competitive in all but 1 of them (1976).

I'm not whining about the Yankees futility since 2001. I'm simply fed up with how wonderful A-Rod thinks he is. About the only respect I have for him is that it seems that he's not ever juiced in order to hit for power. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten up on a pedestal and said this about himself already.

Didn't this same selfish player say that he'd be willing to play 3rd base when the Yankees traded for him?

Archived